Was 90s the best automotive decade?

Ah yes, the nineties...

Trabant_1.1.jpg

I won't deny the 90s their greatness, but IMO, I think the current decade is the best one. 458, GT86, 302 Boss and the upcoming GT350, Hellcat, BMW 2-series (warning, bias!), Boxster/Caymans, Fiesta and Focus ST, the GTIs (THOSE sucked in the 90s), C7, 1-series M, all those awesome nutter AMGs with the 6.2, LFA, 500 Abarth, GTR, 370z, F-type, and those are just off the top of my head.

What, a 4.6L 2v V8 with a whopping 220hp doesn't excite you? :p

Only in a CVPI :p (though those don't excite me either)

I won't deny the 90s their greatness, but IMO, I think the current decade is the best one. 458, GT86, 302 Boss and the upcoming GT350, Hellcat, BMW 2-series (warning, bias!), Boxster/Caymans, Fiesta and Focus ST, the GTIs (THOSE sucked in the 90s), C7, 1-series M, all those awesome nutter AMGs with the 6.2, LFA, 500 Abarth, GTR, 370z, F-type, and those are just off the top of my head.

We are kind of getting there sure, but it seems to me that most of the good stuff is basically restricted to exotics.
BMW 2-series
You mean this? :p
BMW-2-Series-Gran-Tourer-53.jpg

Last edited:
In many ways yes. The 90s really was a good time for cars.

The knowledge on how to make car parts last and work together was on quite high level already, but at the same time cars were still quite simple and crude. And the idea of planned obsolescence wasn't in full effect yet. This made cars reliable and in some cases even quite over engineered.

At the time the car industry had gotten over the emission limitations introduced in 70s and 80s too. They had figured out how to make fuel injection work. Cars were making a good amount of power again.

In the safety department the nanny state wasn't quite there yet either. Cars didn't have safety features to drive themselves, they were raw. You could buy a car that could very well kill you if you didn't know how to drive. Safety regulations didn't limit making cars pretty either, even americans had gotten over those horrid bumper thingies. Style if of course a matter of preference, but I personally do think the 90s simple and sleek design produced some nice looking cars.

[video=youtube;3Y-Gdz6N-dU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-Gdz6N-dU[/video]
Before you go too nuts with the rose tinted glasses.
A wonderful time when even an S class didn't have AC as standard.

The S-class had AC standard in the States from the 80s on. :mrgreen:

IMO, I think the current decade is the best one. 458, GT86, 302 Boss and the upcoming GT350, Hellcat, BMW 2-series (warning, bias!), Boxster/Caymans, Fiesta and Focus ST, the GTIs (THOSE sucked in the 90s), C7, 1-series M, all those awesome nutter AMGs with the 6.2, LFA, 500 Abarth, GTR, 370z, F-type, and those are just off the top of my head.

Yeh, right...

500 abarth which is an irrelevant second-market hatch with cool 60's brand-name.

458 Launchcontrolled sterring wheel, overloaded with buttons.

"all those awesome nutter AMGs with the 6.2" ....with plastic clutch, and camshaft gears, made of recycled beercans, speaking of "nutters", try STAR-diagnosis system for a day - you'll cry. (*is an ex Merc owner)

"302 Boss" ...was DEAD after they pulled windsor engine. The end. You can't name regular car after legend, just because it has same displacement.

Well, as for the goods, GTR and Z370 are nice things to have present days, but it's more of the showcase "look what we can do with our technologies".

GT86 - Is a great thing. But again, ONLY great thing you can buy NOW, that has proper drive, manual gearbox and has no turbo on it. Afterwards it's abit soggy, when it comes to personality.

So IMO, there IS good stuff that continues here, but only as an excuse that they killed the bloke car era. They say "it's been redesigned" - i see it's getting more complicated, for the sake of servicing constance. They say "it's lighter and eco-friendly" i see it's cheaper-made-matheriels. They say "it's easier to drive". And i see.... they're right about that. Any pussywipe theese days can drive a supercar up the tree, or the truck into the wall.

Fact to the matter was - 90's was the best cars, with least electronics needed, and top engineering solutions. Present days cars are "alright to drive to market", but rather a distraction from what we had lost.

I know I might get some flack for this, but I would disqualify anything that doesn't have a proper manual option from gearhead status. I get that DSG/PDK/WTF/BBQ trannies are way faster than a standard H pattern but for driving fun you still need 3 pedals.

The clutch is like foreplay. Anyone who want cum fast - don't need it.

But the pure joy of the process - is only with it.

"And you goin' unbeleeeeeeeeeeeeeeiveably slowly, but with a massive smile on yer face" (c) J.C.

I know I might get some flack for this, but I would disqualify anything that doesn't have a proper manual option from gearhead status. I get that DSG/PDK/WTF/BBQ trannies are way faster than a standard H pattern but for driving fun you still need 3 pedals.

Disagree.
Currently looking at (rather timely considering the thread) 90's luxo barges as a road trip/cruiser. All have autos. There are many levels of fun to be had with cars that don't involve thrashing the hell out of them on an autocross day.
Having said that, 25 year old me had exactly the same view as you do.

Last edited:
Disagree.
Currently looking at (rather timely considering the thread) 90's luxo barges as a road trip/cruiser. All have autos. There are many levels of fun to be had with cars that don't involve thrashing the hell out of them on an autocross day.
Having said that, 25 year old me had exactly the same view as you do.

Not about thrashing the car at all, it's all about the satisfaction of driving and the control I have over the car. The actual act of going through the gears is what I like, the satisfaction from that perfect downshift when you go to pass someone, or that smooth start from a traffic light. If I don't really want to drive an auto is fine but the day I don't want to drive is the day I will no longer consider myself a gear head.

Last edited:
Yeh, right...

500 abarth which is an irrelevant second-market hatch with cool 60's brand-name.

458 Launchcontrolled sterring wheel, overloaded with buttons.

"all those awesome nutter AMGs with the 6.2" ....with plastic clutch, and camshaft gears, made of recycled beercans, speaking of "nutters", try STAR-diagnosis system for a day - you'll cry. (*is an ex Merc owner)

"302 Boss" ...was DEAD after they pulled windsor engine. The end. You can't name regular car after legend, just because it has same displacement.

Well, as for the goods, GTR and Z370 are nice things to have present days, but it's more of the showcase "look what we can do with our technologies".

GT86 - Is a great thing. But again, ONLY great thing you can buy NOW, that has proper drive, manual gearbox and has no turbo on it. Afterwards it's abit soggy, when it comes to personality.

So IMO, there IS good stuff that continues here, but only as an excuse that they killed the bloke car era. They say "it's been redesigned" - i see it's getting more complicated, for the sake of servicing constance. They say "it's lighter and eco-friendly" i see it's cheaper-made-matheriels. They say "it's easier to drive". And i see.... they're right about that. Any pussywipe theese days can drive a supercar up the tree, or the truck into the wall.

Fact to the matter was - 90's was the best cars, with least electronics needed, and top engineering solutions. Present days cars are "alright to drive to market", but rather a distraction from what we had lost.
:rolleyes:

We get it. You are a Superior Car Person who looks down on anyone else's opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

No, for YOU to have driving fun, you (think you) need 3 pedals. Not all of us feel that way. That's the only place where you'll catch flack.

No, for YOU to have driving fun, you (think you) need 3 pedals. Not all of us feel that way. That's the only place where you'll catch flack.

But you lot are wrong :p

P.S. Obviously it's all opinion based, but it seems an opinion shared by a very large number of gear heads, just look at the M5 getting manual in the states because their customers basically said "no fuck you we wanna shift"
P.P.S. This is also why I specifically said an option of H pattern, I don't think that you can make an argument that gear heads tend to enjoying rowing their own. Just remember the flak Nissan caught for the GT-R.

Last edited:
You are a Superior Car Person who looks down on anyone else's opinion.

Right, having a different opinion is punishable by death. :p

Let's say the era of Black laced lingerie had ended - there came the pink topics. So i like both of them pretty much. But i still think you can't change one with another, and sorry, but i don't fancy people claiming one "rotten history" over triumphant another.

Especially when, let's be honest, they mostly make cheap sh** theese days.