Was the Veyron v McLaren race staged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm positive it was staged. There is no way Hammond and the Stig could have been in the same place racing those two cars while the cameras were rolling unless someone planned it. I hate how things like this are so blatantly staged on Top Gear.

I was just about to re-explain everything, then I re-read your post. :lol:

Its simple. The owner of the Veyron probably didn't want to replace the gearbox so he told Hammond not to use the launch control function. That is why it had a slow start.

if the veyron is supposedly so bad at low speeds, how come it utterly trounced the Zonda F Roadster? even though that was faster in the twisties.

if the veyron is supposedly so bad at low speeds, how come it utterly trounced the Zonda F Roadster? even though that was faster in the twisties.

Because of Global Warming, it's generally a lot cooler at the TG test track than it is in the middle of a Middle Eastern Desert, which would help the Bugatti's performance (Turbos work better under cooler/lower air pressure conditions).

Because of Global Warming, it's generally a lot cooler at the TG test track than it is in the middle of a Middle Eastern Desert

Or because of the angle of the Earth as compared to the sun....

wasn't the spoiler of the veyron extracted, too? iirc, when you use the key to put it into "power mode" the spoiler gets retracted to produce less drag and make the car more aerodynamic, but this might also keep some hot air trapped inside the engine bay (don't know for sure, but I thought there was a heat exchanger somewhere under there).

Doesn't detract from the McLaren F1 staying the fastest naturally aspired production car though.

wasn't the spoiler of the veyron extracted, too?

Yes.

Since it was a specific-length drag race, they may not have dropped it down into "Top Speed Mode". It is also possible the road conditions may not have been suitable to running the car that low. While the road looked new, it did seem to have some undulations.

So once Richard hit a certain speed, the spoiler started to deploy since he was still in "Handling Mode".

Running the car on speed mode without downforce on a road in the desert that goes up and down with trees in the middle is a nice idea. I would pay to see someone pull a highspeed Nick Hogan.

It's not without downforce in speed mode, just with less than in handling mode. I think speed mode would have been better for this test, yet, I think the difference would have been small, since it would only start to matter at the end, when the Veyron was in front anyway.

I don't think so, I have driven many turbocharged cars and they do not like the heat. They lose a fair bit of power when it's really hot.

I'm positive it was staged. There is no way Hammond and the Stig could have been in the same place racing those two cars while the cameras were rolling unless someone planned it. I hate how things like this are so blatantly staged on Top Gear.

What get's me is that by some bizarre coincidence a random celebrity turns up at a disused airfield in Surrey every Wednesday to drive a really crappy blue car. And in one of the hangars on that airfield there is an entire TV production crew, an audience and three TV presenters, all of whom are interested in cars. What are the odds of that?

It's such a bizarre thing that I wouldn't be surprised if very soon there aren't hundreds of people discussing this "conspiracy theory" on a dedicated internet forum.

In other news Gillian Anderson's agent has refused to confirm or deny rumours that she has signed up to star in "X Files 3 - The Dunsfold Dilemma".

Last edited:
What get's me is that by some bizarre coincidence a random celebrity turns up at a disused airfield in Surrey every Wednesday to drive a really crappy blue car. And in one of the hangars on that airfield there is an entire TV production crew, an audience and three TV presenters, all of whom are interested in cars. What are the odds of that?

It's such a bizarre thing that I wouldn't be surprised if very soon there aren't hundreds of people discussing this "conspiracy theory" on a dedicated internet forum.

In other news Gillian Anderson's agent has refused to confirm or deny rumours that she has signed up to star in "X Files 3 - The Dunsfold Dilemma".
Nail. Head. I fail to see the conspiracy, unless a white Fiat Uno crashed into Hammond, which it didn't.
High temperatures = shit for turbo'd engines. That's really all there is to it.

i noticed the bugs wing came up.... i thought they'd be using it in defcon 5 mode, but eh nevermind

the dry heat of the desert would defo have an effect on the bugatti's power. i mean usually u gotta drop the compression ratio in a turbo engine (which immediately looses you efficiency and therefore power) and then make up for it with cramming as much fresh charge as you can in there.

hi performance turbo engines have a turbo then a cooler, as the air is heated by the compression they cool it back down at pretty much constant pressure to make it denser still and to lower the intake temps. higher intake temps might mean the engine could have more chance of experiencing knock and to get rid of that you need to advance the timing.... which saves the engine from death, but reduces the power output

so you got a combo there... less dense charge going in, and its at higher temps so it may knock and therefore you need to adjust the timing to compensate...both colluding to reduce power.

of course the F1 will experience some of this as well but as its NA and likely a lot higher compression ratio the engine is just that little bit more efficient as it hasnt got turbos making up for the lower compression ratio

Last edited:
The Veyron has been featured in every season since the Alba-London race (bar season 8). What should the TG team do with it next? You betcha there will be something done with that car till the end of time. :p

The Veyron has been featured in every season since the Alba-London race (bar season 8). What should the TG team do with it next? You betcha there will be something done with that car till the end of time. :p

End of time? No, I doubt it. Just until something more fanciful comes along and grabs Jeremy's attention span away.

When was the Veyron in Series 11? I don't remember seeing it then, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.