Ownership Verified: wdwben's 2012 MX-5 PRHT (yup, another one)

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2012 MX-5 PRHT
I have my car back now. The clutch is... very grabby, which isn't surprising for a Stage 1 clutch. I also have to relearn the bite point of the clutch, as I didn't own the car from new.

They also drained and filled the transmission fluid, so the car is shifting butter-smooth right now.

leviathan

Snores like a puppy
DONOR
Car(s)
MX-5 NC, Model 3
A new clutch might be in the future for my NC, as well. The bite point has been weird from the beginning, some forum peeps who drove it on last year's roadtrip can confirm :) Also I might be imagining things, but I believe to feel some slight slippage when accelerating hard from a standstill in low gears.

New trans fluid is awesome. I've had my trans and diff fluids done soon after getting the car, since the previous owners pretty certainly didn't bother. Do check when your diff needs attention, too - trans and diff oil replacement intervals are similar, as far as I remember the manual.

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2012 MX-5 PRHT
A new clutch might be in the future for my NC, as well. The bite point has been weird from the beginning, some forum peeps who drove it on last year's roadtrip can confirm :) Also I might be imagining things, but I believe to feel some slight slippage when accelerating hard from a standstill in low gears.

New trans fluid is awesome. I've had my trans and diff fluids done soon after getting the car, since the previous owners pretty certainly didn't bother. Do check when your diff needs attention, too - trans and diff oil replacement intervals are similar, as far as I remember the manual.
Yeah, I think I'm due quite soon. I think I even bought the right stuff a few months back and just haven't had a chance to get it done yet. I'm a bit tapped out right now because of that stupid bearing >_<

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2012 MX-5 PRHT

That wasn't fun to see. Four new tires have been ordered and will hopefully be mounted on Tuesday. I went with Bridgestone S-04 PP this go-around. Needless to say, the car is parked for now. I e-mailed my local Mazda dealership saying that their multi-point inspection should probably start inspecting more than just tread depth, since they said things were hunky-dory with my tires when I had my clutch installed. It's a good thing I had a slow-leak in my rear left tire that I brought to get plugged, or I'd have not noticed until I had a blow-out.

I'm also going to start doing my own bloody tire rotations, rather than trusting the dealership to do it for me. Also, they haven't been able to get me a new shift knob yet because apparently the one place that ships to the US doesn't have the knob, and the dealership wants to replace EVERYTHING. I told them just to buy a friggin' harness and ship it to my house, because at this point, I just want it to work again, and if I installed it in the first place, I think I can splice a harness together.

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2012 MX-5 PRHT
New shoes are on the car. Since I have a couple of spare wheels, I asked to keep the nicer of the two front tires. I'll mount it on a wheel, and keep it at home as a spare tire, since the MX-5 doesn't have one or a space-saver.