WEC Super Season

bone

"bangle for president"
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
porsche and audi pulling out of WEC might turn out to be a golden move for the series.
none of the privateers felt like competing with the big manufacturers so stayed in lmp2.
but now G-drive and Manor already announced they will switch to lmp1 for the super season
and ginetta is tought to have sold 2 additional chassis to another undisclosed team

lmp1 will be booming next year!!! and if any privateer wants to win le mans, now is the time!
let's just hope that once the privateers made the investment and are settled in lmp1, they just stay there when some manufacturer returns

and if any privateer wants to win le mans, now is the time!

I really, really, really hope this happens next year.

that would be cool indeed

What is not being proposed is that the P1 division moves towards the introduction of hypercars such as the Aston Martin Valkyrie or the LaFerrari.

There appears to be a consensus that racing homologated road cars would not facilitate the reduction in costs that is a key target of the rule-making process

this sounds odd though...if they all started making LMP1s for the road and sell them for 2m$+, the customers will have payed for much of the development
how can that not reduce costs? now they're still making the hypercars anyway...

My guess is, there will be more then on class that could competet for the overall win. A "privateer proto class", like DPi and a "GT1 tech" with McLaren P1 GTR and the like. Both get BoP, but if the GT1 manufacturere wants to dump money into regeneration and hybrid tech, they can do it.

So they essentially want to bring back the FIA GT Championship prototypes that were (effectively) the top class at LeMans in the late 1990s (Porsche GT1, Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR/LM, Toyota GT-One, Nissan R390 GT1).

but they would not be allowed to sell them to the public?

I guess they would be allowed to sell them as racecars to privatiers and the street cars/track toys (like the FXXK etc.), why not - but what I agree though is, that it could get to the point where we were in 97-99: too many cars compete for the win, so someone will drop rather soon out of this.

But I LOVE the idea. I think it would be great. Derivatives of the FXXK, P1 GTR, 918 RSR, Huayra BC, Koenigsegg Agera/Regera, Aston Martin Vulcan, that Red Bull thingie ... wow. Would be awesome as hell.

My dream: Get rid of the first chicane, so cars will reach way more than 350 kph, let the privateer-run LMP2 cars either run the current 2017-regulation cars or just switch to DPi, get rid of GTE-Am and replace it with GT3, and rename GTE-Pro to just GTE aaand as give them 100-150 hp more (should be doable for anybody except Porsche, which will have to go to forced induction) aswell as carbon brakes (GTE costs are already damn high so meh).

What I don't understand is why this would make for costs as high as right now. I don't understand how this could create a program worth 100 million. Should be much, much less as it's based on a road car/track toy car programm.

With DPi the cost is sanctioned becuse a most of the parts come from one manufacturer. Manufacturer can make the front of the car, the engine and some bits, I think? As soon as you let the car companies make a car on their own one of them will get the more money, gets results and cost skyrockets. Yes, making a faster FXXK or P1 GTR is "cheap" to make, but the next generation car will be built with racing in mind, so costs rise.

I just wonder if these costs could reach the dimensons of current LMP1s... LMPs have never been so expensive. Comparing it to GTP of 99 (ok let's say all protoype-esque GT1 to be fair), costs would be much lower. Add hybrids and 2017 tech and I still don't see 100+ million for a "LMGTP" programme with an FXXK or similar ...

But hey, let's see how far this goes.

but imsa's petit le mans can still go fuck itself?

what a big fuck you to any racedriver not named fernando alonso