"We'll drive home backwards."

For those who say the house looks modern....it totally is. Keep in mind 'modern' architecture has long since died away...we have even moved past the 'post-modern' period. There is really no cohesive design at the moment, so it's just ecclecticism now. Most of the stuff (not sure about the kitchen) looks fairly contemporary 1950's modern (the chairs, furnishings etc) so I would say it's pretty original. Very heavily influenced by Mies, the design. Definitely a sexy house. /architecture nerd

WANT!

Cameron: Ferris, my father loves this car more than life itself.
Ferris: A man with priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile.
Cameron: No. No! Apparently, you don't understand!
Ferris: Wow.
Cameron: Ferris, he never drives it! He just rubs it with a diaper!

Damn, the housing market really has crashed in some parts of the US, hasn't it?

A tiny 1-bedroom luxury condo in Vancouver costs half a million... for three times as much you get an awesome modernist house with movie credentials, an acre of land and a 5,600 sq. ft. of space to roam about in.

Not bad at all.

Last edited:
^ Same in Sydney. On the North Shore here, $1.65 million would get you a house that might be able to be featured in a film about a dystopic post-apocalyptic world, but not a cult teen classic.

For those who say the house looks modern....it totally is. Keep in mind 'modern' architecture has long since died away...we have even moved past the 'post-modern' period. There is really no cohesive design at the moment, so it's just ecclecticism now. Most of the stuff (not sure about the kitchen) looks fairly contemporary 1950's modern (the chairs, furnishings etc) so I would say it's pretty original. Very heavily influenced by Mies, the design. Definitely a sexy house. /architecture nerd

WANT!

The reason why houses aren't built that way -- despite being awesome -- is, that they are costly and hopelessly impractical. Walls of glass are great looking but in winter you will have enormous costs for heating. Insulation? What insulation? Then there is the privacy issue... don't need to get into detail, do I?

Also those cubic designs have proven to not exactly being very withstanding against the elements. Basically you can say, that with a flat roof you will have water leakages at some point. No way to avoid them. Leave those flat roofs alone for some time and they will mutate into a nice biotope, completely with moss, grass, a small pond and some frog families.

I remember one of Frank Lloyd Wright's designs was a house built directly over a waterfall. Great idea and unbelievably cool -- until mildew infested the house.

But it is indeed awesome :)

Last edited:
One additional item I'd add, you can now get glass that with the application of an electric current can switch between a milky opaque to clear and back as required - no need for curtains/drapes at all!

NB if you think I am showing myself to all and sundry in the AM then you have another thing coming.

EDIT/ There you go - Smart Glass : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_glass

Last edited:
The reason why houses aren't built that way -- despite being awesome -- is, that they are costly and hopelessly impractical. Walls of glass are great looking but in winter you will have enormous costs for heating. Insulation? What insulation? Then there is the privacy issue... don't need to get into detail, do I?

Also those cubic designs have proven to not exactly being very withstanding against the elements. Basically you can say, that with a flat roof you will have water leakages at some point. No way to avoid them. Leave those flat roofs alone for some time and they will mutate into a nice biotope, completely with moss, grass, a small pond and some frog families.

I remember one of Frank Lloyd Wright's designs was a house built directly over a waterfall. Great idea and unbelievably cool -- until mildew infested the house.

But it is indeed awesome :)

yeah R1 insulation (glass) is really not going to do you much good :p

That actually looks like a great deal. A full wooded acre, a very large, fairly famous home. Of course, like everyone is saying, keeping the heat and AC on would be brutal.

450px-Fallingwater%2CDec08.jpg

Fallingwater. Not only was it built over a stream, there was originally no thermal barrier in the ceiling, so condensation was a constant problem. It has structural problems as well. But still, it's impressive considering it was built in 1937.

There's a church in my hometown that Wright designed (Community Christian, Kansas City). It was built in the early '40s, and originally Wright wanted it to have what is essentially a spire of light. And the whole floor-plan is parallelograms. It wasn't until the early '90s that the 'steeple' was even technologically (and financially, for a church that size) possible.

2127127356_ed605091a8.jpg

Looks pretty amazing in person, you can see those lights from miles away. Fitting for a church, I suppose.

I must admit I'm a big fan of Frank Lloyd Wright and that architectural style. Although my knowledge about it is limited, architecture always was kind of a hobby to me. In school and later (whenever I got bored in lessons or had some time to kill) I used to design houses with a pen and a ruler :lol:

I really adore the modern architecture of some of those Californian houses you sometimes see in movies or TV series and I'm deeply impressed by the works of some movie production designers, like for example Ken Adam, who did the interior designs for all the classic James Bond movies from "Dr. No" to "Moonraker".

It has been on the market for a while now, more than a year.

Very reasonably priced for the area, but with all that glass, and the weather we get around here (even worse that it is close to Lake Michigan), I would pass.