What are the best selling cars in your country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, if need be.
I've done it with my Astra, why not? it has a trunk you know.
There's also been trees in the back of my car, and almost everything I've ever owned that would not fit into the moving truck. (ie a million boxes and shit)

i'd like to see several hundred kg of bricks in an astra

I dunno what the load bearing limit is but I think 100 kgs would be no problem, weight or size wise.
If you need MOAR :

aanhangwagen_ladderrek.jpg

edit : also : how many times do you need to haul several hundred kgs of bricks in your car? Do you people keep on building your own houses?

edit :

ThreadDirection.jpg

I love how this thread has derailed from a "what are the best selling cars" to "you need/don't need to buy trucks" into a "how much shit can your car carry"

Last edited:
I dunno what the load bearing limit is but I think 100 kgs would be no problem, weight or size wise.
Certified for 490kg, or the equivalent of two average [insert Clarkson joke here].

ThreadDirection.jpg

I love how this thread has derailed from a "what are the best selling cars" to "you need/don't need to buy trucks" into a "how much shit can your car carry"
:cool:
http://img411.imageshack.**/img411/6971/mrburnskz1.gif

Excellent.

My work here is done.

i love how hauling crap in a crap astra can be substituted for hauling anything in an A4/A6 when comparing to an american pickup.

I live not too far from the home of the $12,995 Ford F150. I think there are 2 cars in this entire market that can beat that price for a new vehicle...and they're both KIAs.

...I'll take the pickup, kthnx.

the bottom line is that the pickup has become the ultimate utility vehicle. you can configure them with 2-4 doors, come with RWD or 4WD, can be had with a manual, and you can even haul that poor guy's smart car IN THE BED of it. price:utility ratio, you cannot beat a pickup, even with a rented trailer. ESPECIALLY in a crowded city center. Imagine you live in central london and you're trying to move from a flat to another area. will it be easier for you to just park a pickup and load up? or manuver a Lupo with an 8' trailer? im guessing that unless they teach you trailer manuverability in driving school, the truck will win this feat. Also, it is common here to see pickups with 3,4,5+ hundred thousand miles on them. over time, one pickup can last 2-3times as long as the average car. this means that even with the fuel savings a smart or a clio can provide, you would have to add up those trailer rentals for everytime you needed one, maintenance costs (almost any pickup in the states can get a full drivetrain rebuild for $3k) and at least one cost of replacing the small car to equal a pickup. If you're looking long-term; Pickup > subcompact.

all this entails why they're so popular here, and justify their sales. and that's the bottom line to this whole sidetrack to the vehicle sales thread.

PS- I'd like to see you transport 2 dozen 20kg bags of topsoil in a 7 series without a trailer and not regret it :)

Okay, let me summarize: A truck is a crappy vehicle to drive. So when you own a pickup truck, you drive a shitty vehicle for 365 days a year.

If you don't own a pickup truck, but instead once in a while, when you really need the capacity, rent a truck for a day, you can drive around in a decent car for the rest of the year without having to carry 2 tons of additional scrap metal around.

Since I doubt someone can deny the logic in that, my conclusion is this: Pickup owners simply must love driving crappy vehicles :)

I'm surprised that it took me so long to see that :mrgreen:

So owning a pickup truck is like having one of those small tractor lawn mowers for your 90 squarefoot lawn: Really ridiculous :lol:

Alright, back to sales figures now :)

Okay, let me summarize: A truck is a crappy vehicle to drive. So when you own a pickup truck, you drive a shitty vehicle for 365 days a year.

Since I doubt someone can deny the logic in that, my conclusion is this: Pickup owners simply must love driving crappy vehicles :)

Wow man, take'r easy.<_<

I think the point that everyone is missing is that North America and Europe have very different from each other. In the United States a majority of the population tends to engage themselves in activities that make it necessary for them to own a pickup truck. My neighbor has a boat, 2 ATV's, 2 Jetski's, and probably a whole whack of other crap that I have yet to see. Whereas in Europe, I doubt people do it to the same extent. Just understand that we live in very different places.

And as for Pickups being crappy to drive, I wouldn't say that at all. I love my truck to death! I love how you ride up high giving you good visibility, I love how the side mirrors are the size of a baseball glove, I love how you can hop curbs with it, I love how you can drive in deep snow with it, I love the SOUND of it, I love knowing that it can handle anything and everything I need, I love knowing I can tow 10,000lbs, I love knowing I can put over 1500lbs of crap in the back, I love knowing that it can take 5 passengers in comfort, I love how you can go off-road with it (depending on tires of course), I love how they are built like tanks, and my last one, I love the look of them. My truck is all black with 20" Chrome wheels, BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A tires, muscular fenders, big rig grille, in my opinion trucks just look awesome.

And pickup trucks as of present are much less crappy than pickup trucks of old, my Ram has Anti-Lock Brakes, Anti-Theft, Dual Air Bag, Side Curtain Airbags, Fog Lights, Intermittent Wipers, Keyless Entry, 4 wheel Power Disc Brakes, Power Mirrors, Power Seats, Power Rack-and-Pinion Steering, Power Windows, Rear Defroster, Tilt Steering, Tinted Glass, Tow Package, Bed Liner, Bucket Seats, Heated Seats, Leather Interior, Off-Road Tires, Power Rear Sliding Window, Power Sunroof, Electronic Transfer Case, Cruise Control, Heated Mirrors, Power Locks, CD Changer, Split Folding Rear Seats with platform, Skid Plate, Tow Hooks, Dual Climate Controls, Block Heater, Infinity Audio System, AND Sirius Satellite Radio. Now if that ain't equipped, I don't know what is.

But hey, that's just me, everyone entitled to their own opinion. :p

And MacGuffin, maybe you should try driving a full size pickup, who knows, you might like it! :lol:

Last edited:

If you don't own a pickup truck, but instead once in a while, when you really need the capacity, rent a truck for a day, you can drive around in a decent car for the rest of the year without having to carry 2 tons of additional scrap metal around.

I'm surprised that it took me so long to see that :mrgreen:

So owning a pickup truck is like having one of those small tractor lawn mowers for your 90 squarefoot lawn: Really ridiculous :lol:

Alright, back to sales figures now :)

Thats why we have utes in aus, for carrying light duty crap (model payloads vary from about 600kg on the tray to just shy of a tonne) but they still drive like a car

Holden_ute_SS-V_m_m.jpg

Dear God, are you all fucking serious? Yet ANOTHER goddamn pickup truck bashing thread? What, is it too damn hard to coexist together and to keep an open mind, or are some of you simpletons (MacGuffin, I'm staring right at you) too damn close-minded to consider that these things have a genuine purpose just like every other vehicle ever devised (even the Pontiac Aztek :blink:)?!

:wall:

I am with Blake on this - different strokes for different folks. Aussies and NA's have a need, we(Europeans) much less so. Enough said really. Also do we really need say a 150mph super car, no but people buy them 'cause they like them, some people like pick ups!

To Serj : for that kind of money, I'd rather have a secondhand CAR than a brand new Pickup. If need be, i'd take the KIA.

:lmao: MacGuffin for prez!

Yes, indeed we have different demands. I for example value a car where I can drive relaxed and safely at 125 mph or more without breaking into sweat and still only doing 25-30 mpg.

That's how I define "Freude am Fahren". For every other requirements there are alternatives here, which in cases of need can be cheaply organized without a problem.

We are all stamped by our living conditions. Vast landscapes, wide inner city roads, huge parking lots and extremely cheap running costs for vehicles on one side; heavy populated areas, narrow inner city streets, small parking lots and expensive running costs for vehicles on the other side.

The only question is: Which is the better environment for technical and economical progress...?

It is interesting though that while people in North America and particularly the USA are constantly carrying 1000kgs of sand, towing 5000kgs of yacht or moving house (though they must not keep much stuff as when I move house I'd almost need a 7.5 tonne Luton and I'm single) they all choose to do it with a certain type of vehicle, the closest European corrolate to which would be a Land Rover Defender 110 or 130 pickup.
Only rich farmers buy them (poor farmers buy whatever is cheap and 4x4 with ok ground clearance possibly even a second hand Landy, some of them don't even bother and drive around in their tractors all day), normal people drive cars designed for the road, and if they have some hobby that requires extra capacity they'll tow what they need (you see plenty of racing cars being towed behind saloons). Big farms use proper big stuff... I've seen a few Unimogs with farm implements hooked up to the rear PTO trundling down the motorway over the past year or so. While contractors use whatever is most suitable which usually results in a Transit of some sort (or similar).

Clarkson has had plenty to say about these differing markets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ21P6fFSuo
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article670996.ece

I can't find sales numbers for the UK market that don't state that they are focused (geddit?) on just passenger vehicles, so I don't know if there'd be a van up there or not for the UK, but I'll say it again. It's weird that the USA has a pickup truck at the top of their sales chart when all the other charts posted so far have had none listed at all. I don't buy the "The USA is a massive country so we need massive cars." line of reasoning either.

According to the van episode of TG UK van sales were 322k (probably for 2006), so I would fully expect a van or two to show up in the 10 best selling list if they weren't excluded.

So if you don't like it, don't read it!!!!

Yeah, that's a positive attitude to carry around on a messageboard (and life, if you're even deeper like that). I'd rather combat narrow-minded opinions like some on here and the guy who wrote this then ignore them. So shoot me, you wanker!

John Rambo AKA Mopar Man; I've heard how most people dislike you but i will acknowledge the good post.

NooDle: Kias are utter rubbish and you know it. If you're a Clarksonite you should have already agreed that anything that has 4 wheels and an engine and comes from the pacific rim countries is so bad that a BL car is -almost- acceptable to compare. On a more reasonable note, Hyundai bought them, which is awesome for kia, but that ultimately means that the best kia is only as good as a downmarket hyundai. A Spartan F150 with a V6 and a Stick still has all the decent suspension and interior bits a fully loaded $30k truck might have, just minus the power everything, big engine, and leather bits. trust me, a simple truck isnt a crappy truck, at least by most reasonable people's standards (aka NOT clarkson's opinion)

Also, keep in mind that for the last 7 years at least we havent had any GOOD american musclecars except the Mustang, and even then until 05 it was sitting on a chassis from the stone age. (camaro nuts dont hunt me down i loved those too but you could get IRS on some stang models, and production was over in 02) The pickups quickly stepped in because we wanted RWD V8s, and didnt care too much exactly HOW we got them.

In Summary:
-Chicks love trucks(especially in the states, Vicki Butler-Henderson admitted to loving the Dodge Nitro so it's not US only)
-Guys love trucks (V8 powaaa big gnarly tires and go-anywhere capability/utility)
-dogs love trucks! (if you've seen the late 90s Nissan Commercials, you'd catch the gimmick on this one)
-farmers love trucks(you've even admitted this yourself for the UK that they'd fancy one as a secondary maybe)
-gardeners love trucks(keeps dirty soiled tools and mulch seperate from the passenger compartment)
-racers love trucks (tow the car to the track with parts and tools in the bed without breaking a sweat)

...need i continue?

I'm willing to bet Pickups would be alot more popular over there if you guys didnt tack on so many tariffs that it places most of our kit into different price categories. If we did what you guys did to import cars, we'd never have anything that wasnt built on our side of the pond sell decently. Camcords (camry/accord) sell because they're built in ohio/kentucky, and dodge ALL of the import taxation. We'd be selling Chevy Colorados hand over fist if we had a factory over in say, Suffolk for them :p

okay, I'm not going to argue the point anymore. we like using robust vehicles for personal use.

car sales by modelseries in Finland in 2007 top ten
1. Toyota Corolla
2. Skoda Octavia
3. Toyota Avensis
4. Ford Focus
5. Volvo V70
6. Volkswagen Passat
7. Volkswagen Golf
8. Mazda 6
9. Ford Mondeo
10. Honda CR-V

and best selling carmakers top five

1. Volkswagen
2. Toyota
3. Volvo
4. Ford
5. Honda

Note: car-brands not in sale in Finland: proton, acura, scion,chery, lotus, infiniti,ssangyong,tata,daihatsu.

Last edited:
Your KIA's and Hyundais are garbage, ours (made in Europe) are excellent. People would not buy something that looks like this http://img178.imageshack.**/img178/4756/chevroletcoloradoextcabbk2.th.jpg even if they could.

Status
Not open for further replies.