What Are You Reading?

shesquint

Car(s)
I call it Dammit.
Not the FG forums. I know you're reading that. What are you reading in a format that requires neither keyboard nor screen (er, unless it's a Kindle or another e-reader)? I can't be the only reader in here.

Here's my current list:

1. A History of the Vikings
2. Viking Discoveries in North America
3. The Sea of Monsters (book 2 in the Percy Jackson series, and before you make fun of me, I would like to state that you are never too old for a good kids' book)
aaaand 4. For a little light reading to shut my brain up before bedtime, I've been dipping into the World According to Clarkson books.

A thread called "what are you reading?"

What Every Body Is Saying by Joe Navarro. Obviously all about non-verbal communication. Really good stuff.

Ursula K. LeGuin's The Eye of the Heron. I adore her stuff.

Still looking for a nonfiction. Anybody have any suggestions? Preferably biology, history, astrophysics, psychology, or linguistics.

Just finished reading "Panserhjerte" by Jo Nesb?, a Norwegian writer.. I don't know whether or not it's been translated to English, but it's one of the best books I've read in a while.

What keeps you so busy you don't have time to read?

Still looking for a nonfiction. Anybody have any suggestions? Preferably biology, history, astrophysics, psychology, or linguistics.

I like Michio Kaku a lot. Hyperspace is a good read, if a little brain-twisty. Mind you, that's from someone who can't cope with higher maths; if you're more mathematically gifted than I am, it should be lots of fun for you.

What period(s) of history? May I recommend Badass by Ben Thompson? It features short biographical pieces on warlords, Vikings, samurai, and many, many others. Hilariously written.

Badass said:
As soon as he was able to stand upright without passing out from the blinding pain associated with having a seven-foot-tall Norseman attempt to disembowel him, Harald and some of his followers left Norway for Russia. There they performed daring quests of heroic awesomeness for King Jaroslav: raiding dungeons, battling orcs, leveling up, and accumulating a vast stockpile of magical items and weapons. The exiled Viking also took the opportunity to hit on Jaroslav's hot daughter, Princess Elizabeth, whenever possible.
In the service of the emperor, Harald and the Varangian Guard crushed the enemies of Byzantium across the Mediterranean. They fought scurvy pirates off the coast of Greece, stormed castles in Sicily, and vanquished armies in North Africa. It was on the battlefield that Harald truly excelled, and his Viking warriors swept across the landscape plundering, looting, burninating, pillaging, and smashing people in the face with meat cleavers in the name of the Byzantine Empire.

rereading Snow Crash and currently working my way through Kresley Cole's back catalogue. Although I may never forgive her, she crashed a Veyron to get her heroes to escape!

There aren't enough Veyrons to go around! A pox on her.

Snow Crash. Mmmm. Just re-read that a few weeks ago, myself. Now trying to find the time to start and devour Cryptonomicon.

Oooh, good luck with that.

Reminds me, I have to go get it back from my brother....

FYI, there was a thread like this FinalGear literary society or something along those lines. It's pretty dead though...

Just finished and am about to start, respectively:

Vagabonding.jpg

brewing-up-a-business-sam-alcagione-dog-fish.jpg

The Catcher in the Rye

in memory of J.D. Salinger passing away today :(

Piers Anthony's On a Pale Horse, which is part of the Incarnations of Immortality series. So good!

I'm glad to have been able to pick up a book again - I think my reading abilities were too traumatized with college.

I read books in series, so right now I am reading my Star Wars books in sequence. I am right now on Episode II, soon to be reading The Cestus Deception. I am quite looking forward to reading Episode III; if you liked the movie the book will have your jaw on the floor.
Also, the Thrawn series of books are excellent; the character himself is part Alexander The Great, Sherlock Holmes and Erwin Rommel.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
FYI, there was a thread like this FinalGear literary society or something along those lines. It's pretty dead though..

I was wondering if something like that was lurking around in here. I couldn't find it, though.

Piers Anthony's On a Pale Horse, which is part of the Incarnations of Immortality series. So good!

:lol: I read those about once every year or so. I cringe every time, because Piers Anthony is such a cheeseball, but I always enjoy them anyway.

Can I just point out that book titles should be underlined, while periodicals are italicized?

/grammarnazi

^ Yes, and thank you. I am a bad grammar nazi for failing to do so. Can this bad grammar nazi plead weary eyes and a weary brain from editing all day today, and beg to be forgiven for the lapse?