What Are You Reading?

Rereading this:

HerYL.jpg

Halfway through:

Just finished Darksiders 1, was about to start 2 and I noticed this novel, the author seemed competent, so im trying it after Primarchs

Dan Simmons <3

I have 6 books on the desk next to me piling up. Need to get through The Hobbit first, but I'm just not into it.

There's one I really want to read, but at the same time it's the final book in the series, and I don't want the series to be over...
And I start a language course next week, so I'm sure there will be reading material and textbook work for that.

412UBBvFEdL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Magical Mystery" is, in a way, a sequel to the most brilliant and definitly required reading "Berlin Blues" ("Herr Lehmann" in German). Magical Mystery picks up five years or so after the events of Berlin Blues - or does it? It focuses on Karl Schmidt, best friend and sidekick to Berlin Blues' hero Frank Lehmann. Karl suffered a nervous breakdown in the wake of the fall of the Berlin Wall and since then made the classic tour from psych ward to an assisted living apartment for recovering addicts in Hamburg. When he meets one of his old friends from Berlin by chance, it's a match made in heaven: His friend has made it from running a small electronic music club to being head of "Bumm Bumm", one of the labels spearheading Germany's mid-90s techno craze. Planning a tour of his acts through German clubs, Karl, who has to stay sober, is the natural choice as a driver...

Regener's "Berlin Blues" (and its two prequels) basically were a fictionalized version of his own youth - escaping the draft by moving from Bremen to Berlin, tending bar and slacking with artists, punks, students and wannabes. Friends of mine who knew Regener in the 80s told me that the only noticable difference between Regener and Frank Lehmann is that Regener started a band and gained nationwide fame while Frank Lehmann stuck to tending bar.

"Magical Mystery" draws form Regener's wife's experiences running the techno Label "Ladomat 2000" in the nineties. While "Berlin Blues" was kind of a monument to long-lost West Berlin, "Magical Mystery" seems to be more about how hipness, the music business, and touring stayed the same since the beginning of Rock and Roll music. It's a hilarious read and I can only advise you to read "Berlin Blues" until an English translation is available.

Decided to start Discworld, it begins...

Decided to start Discworld, it begins...

enjoy, by far my favourite author. i have read every single discworld book at least twice, most of them thrice...

currently going through neil gaiman's neverwhere and after a slow start i am now doing at least 15% (kindle) per day. speaking of... gotta get back to it :)

9780755322831.jpg

Got it for christmas and am thoroughly enjoying it. Its a collection of short stories so I find it useful as something to read before bed. All of them seem so far to be very dark, twisty and wrong. Which is perfect. :)

that went well.. couldn't put the book down, ended up reading it all the way through until 2:30am. ... so yeah, i guess that' recommendation from me right there :D

edit: "anansi boys" is up next. read american goods a while back, so going with the sequel (of sorts) should be fine.

Last edited:
Motor Trend latest.