What car maker are you most angry with?

Generally speaking, the faster a car is, it needs more computer gubbins to make it safe and easy to control. Your average driver would shit himself at trying to control an untamed 420hp V8 M3.

The Ford GT dosen't even have ABS, and I have heard nothing about it being a beast to handle.

Generally speaking, the faster a car is, it needs more computer gubbins to make it safe and easy to control. Your average driver would shit himself at trying to control an untamed 420hp V8 M3.
So? If Joe Shmoe is too big of a pussy to handle a fast car then he shouldn't be driving a fast car. When I turned 16 my father asked me if I'd want an STi as my first car (hypothetical question) and I said no way because I knew that I'd kill myself.
Either way, what do computers and electronic gizmos have to do with anything?
Oh, and another point that I've been stressing for years: light weight > big power. An Atom would eat the new M3 alive around a track.

And they probably want to be able to sell cars to people who aren't racing drivers.

Most car manufactures have some sort of responsibility to keep owners of their cars safe, hence the gizmos. I doubt BMW or any mainstream automaker wants to be in the business of creating high-speed death machines.

THIS

You can't complain about manufacturers trying to make their cars safer in the ways they have (ABS, ESP, DSC, Rigid passenger compartments etc) as it is governments (in Europe particularly) who have mandated all these safety requirements. Before you blame the manufacturers, blame yourself for voting these neo-communists in in the first place.

Most car manufactures have some sort of responsibility to keep owners of their cars safe, hence the gizmos. I doubt BMW or any mainstream automaker wants to be in the business of creating high-speed death machines.

Dead customers don't buy a whole lot of cars.

Toyota - *sigh* not even gonna say it
VW - for not bringing the scirocco over here and for becomming the german version of toyota
Honda - for just not giving a shit anymore
Subaru - for turning the STI into a soft lumpy hatchback. assholes
GM - We bail you out and you kill Pontiac instead of GMC. cockgobblers
Chrysler - I hate you with a fiery passion. For cranking out horrible, shitty, ugly, slow, boring, unsafe, fucking rolling abortions FOR DECADES. Dodge, Jeep, the lot. Fuck off and die
Ford - for taking this long to kill Mercury and to start making awesome cars again

Scion.

They had such a good idea, even if it didn't really appeal to you; take Japanese or European Toyotae, bring them to the States, and make them simple and undeniably cheap to buy.

... and then they started trying to make their own cars based on "market research" and "focus groups". The second-gen xB is hardly the head-turner and bargain that the first-gen is, and the second-gen tC is shaping up to be a soggy (and ugly) lump.

The xD and the iQ bring the original message back, but still, just stop with the "focus group" cars.

Totally agree with you Dogbert. I remember I was in my teenage years when Scion was introduced and all their "aftermarket customization" and ricey cars seemed quite cool at the time. It was like affordable fast and furious. Nowadays they're as bland as Corollas.

It looks like Land Rover hasn't fixed the ABS issues they used to have. My Disco's ABS went crazy one time for no reason at all and as a result I had almost no stopping power. After ending up finally stopped in the middle of an intersection I decided it would be wise to deactivate the ABS before it deactivated me.

That reminds me of another reason I don't like all the fancy computerized controls. What if the computers get stuck in rock crawl mode and you're on a trail hours away from home? With mechanical linkages you at least have a chance of getting things back to normal with some work, or at least enough to get you home.

The only reason why I have a "at fault" accident, the ABS pump in my old disco went out on the highway, smashed into a Land Cruiser =/

Angry @ Audi for having the new 3.0T motor originally as a twin turbo motor and then ditching it for a supercharged version instead =/.

Toyota: Ok, I see the point of the Rukus (Scion something...cant remember what it is), hell I even like the bloody thing, but how many 20 somethings (your target demographic) have 30 grand for the base trim spec!! Thats mid spec Corolla money!! Heres an idea, insted of pricing it between the Corolla and Camry how about drop the price a bit so it fits between the Yaris and the Corolla and you'll sell heaps more.

Holden: No more soggy Korean crap please. The Barina is just godawful, thank christ the Viva is gone, Epica is crap and so is the Captiva. At least the Cruze in kind of ok.

Totally agree with you Dogbert. I remember I was in my teenage years when Scion was introduced and all their "aftermarket customization" and ricey cars seemed quite cool at the time. It was like affordable fast and furious. Nowadays they're as bland as Corollas.

What I find humorous is most Scion buyers here are the elderly. Cheap and Japanese is all they want. :p

Peugeot: for sucking for no goddamned reason. their cars are shit, but in a sort of vanilla, soulless way

Toyota: because their interiors have a certain starkness about them, especially the more upmarket ones with fake wood

Citroen: for leaving the US market

Land Rover: for not offering a Defender here

BMW: the bangle 6-series

Forgot one: Volvo, for going from something unique to looking like everything else. There was a picture on Jalopnik a while back of one of the new Volvos with one of the free sandwiches Volvo was handing out at some auto show, and dang it if the sandwich didn't look more like a Volvo than the actual car.

I realize that they had to move forward from the awesome blocky turbobricks of yore, and I thought their last major redesign did a good job of giving everyone something new without looking too much like anything else. Now, though? They look like freaking Hyundais. Swedish vanilla. I am disappoint. :(

THIS

You can't complain about manufacturers trying to make their cars safer in the ways they have (ABS, ESP, DSC, Rigid passenger compartments etc) as it is governments (in Europe particularly) who have mandated all these safety requirements. Before you blame the manufacturers, blame yourself for voting these neo-communists in in the first place.

YES!! lets vote governments that encourage us to kill eachother faster and easier! Rewards for drinking and driving, banning ABS and TC, making mandatory to smoke 3 packs a day! [/sarcasm]

In any case, still pissed at Peugeot and any other car maker making superminis. They're just hideous, horrible, horrendous, insert another pejorative adjective starting on H here.

Last edited:
Superminis have a place, and as long as that place isn't my driveway, I don't mind. Except for the Mazda AZ-1. I'd rock that.

Toyota for being shitty in every possible way - no passion in making good cars to be seen anywhere.

YES!! lets vote governments that encourage us to kill eachother faster and easier! Rewards for drinking and driving, banning ABS and TC, making mandatory to smoke 3 packs a day! [/sarcasm]

lol .. you forgot gold medals for pedophiles [/sarcasm]

How about though, governments that don't stick their nose into every citizens private life and private preferences? Governments that treat their citizens as adults capable of making sensible decisions? Governments that don't seek to enslave their citizens with a myriad of legislative nannying?

What I find humorous is most Scion buyers here are the elderly. Cheap and Japanese is all they want. :p
Well, it's what everyone wants. But rather than just marketing to young buyers and reaping the financial benefits of every demographic buying their cars, they decided to start making cars for the backwards-hat-wearing, chlamydia-having population (xB, about to be the tC)... and as it turns out, nobody wants them at all. It was the 1-2 punch of alienating every other demographic and pricing the cars outside the "cheap" range.