What casual phone/tablet games do you play?

Bump....

For those who really enjoyed Monument Valley, or for those who were curious but perhaps thought it was a tad.... twee... I highly recommend Dream Machine. It's a steampunk inspired 3D puzzler influenced by Escher and false perspective. Unlike MV there is an element of skill and peril not just thought and spatial awareness.

And it's available for a couple of bucks. Or quid if you're stuck in Brexitland.

Last edited:
Don't have an android device otherwise I'd be happy to.

Warning: The following is retro-cool, addicitive and frustrating in equal measure. I first played virtually the same game on my nest friend's parents' Apple IIe when I was about 14. Brings back so many good memories.

http://goldenrunner.com/

Bump....

For those who really enjoyed Monument Valley, or for those who were curious but perhaps thought it was a tad.... twee... I highly recommend Dream Machine. It's a steampunk inspired 3D puzzler influenced by Escher and false perspective. Unlike MV there is an element of skill and peril not just thought and spatial awareness.

And it's available for a couple of bucks. Or quid if you're stuck in Brexitland.
Lacks the polish and finesse of Monument Valley. Got bored with it after a couple of levels. Still no news of Monument Valley 2 for Android, though. You can pre-register in the Play Store, but that's it.

You need to go derper. Not as polished but a lot more challenging.

I have played some of it, the crank turning mechanic got me riled up after a while. :lol:

I'm on the soldier level, I get the idea but just can't get it right.

Warning: The following is retro-cool, addicitive and frustrating in equal measure. I first played virtually the same game on my nest friend's parents' Apple IIe when I was about 14. Brings back so many good memories.

http://goldenrunner.com/

Man, I've been looking for this game for years. I used to play it as a kid on an arcade box. Loved it. Thank you.

I've been playing Angry Birds and AB Blast (didn't like the Star Wars AB), along with the various "Criminal Case" and Blitz games from FB.

Stumbled across Dune! by Voodoo (Android and IOS) the other day. Game play is very simple but it's remarkably addictive and trickier than nit first seems to get the hang of (my best score is only 67!) however it's a perfect casual game to dip into for a few minutes or play for a while.

Sorry about the slightly lame link. Free version has adds which get annoying but I just engage flight mode before playing and that sorts that shit out.

I can also recommend Falling Ballz. Unfortunate name, simple game play but there is skill involved and it's highly addictive.

Gravity Pinball would have been a better name though. Again enable flight mode to avoid ads.

Again enable flight mode to avoid ads.

On iOS, you can disable cellular data for that particular app/game to avoid ads. That is if you're not on wifi.

...and asssuming the game will let you play offline. Looking at you, Mario, you bastard!

I'll give a shout out to something called Top Drives which has been eating a lot of my free time over the last few months. It's kinda like Top Trumps meets Clash Royale; You collect cars of varying performances and rarities, pick five of them to form a 'hand' and then play against others in a match that contains five races, picking one car from your hand from each race. The races are an ever-changing mix of drag races of different lengths / goals (quarter/half/full mile, 0-100mph etc...), circuits of varying types, city streets (complete with speed bumps), roads etc, on multiple different surfaces (dry/wet asphalt, dirt, snow, ice...). Note that you don't drive yourself at any point, the strategy is purely in the choice of cars and upgrading them. It has a bit of a P2W vibe to it once you reach a certain point as you'll need the rarest cars to do well and to get those you need to buy card packs (you can grind free money for those, but the odds are really low) but there are also performance limited events occasionally where you can do well with a well-picked hand of common cars.

It's not perfect, some times it frustrates me to no end (tip: do yourself a favour and find the in-game forums BEFORE you start upgrading Lotus Elise 135. I didn't, and I'm still paying the price...) but I've had tons of fun with it and I highly recommend it.

a shout out to recovery mode and custom roms

been playing with it for a few months, and it's a hoot!
and the fact you can actually brick your phone, gives added tension :p

seriously though...by now my phone is so modded, i can't remember the last time i saw an add on that screen
but i fear the day i'll need a now one...since it basically voids your warrenty, it's a big step to take!

...and asssuming the game will let you play offline. Looking at you, Mario, you bastard!

Huh? What if you have no signal?

^some games detect you have disbaled wifi and/or mobile data and demand you to start them...

and i actually can't remeber when was the last time i had no signal