What do non-Americans think of NASCAR

Ventura6

I'm curious. Let me know what you think if you are not American.

Not about the fans, who are stereotyped as rednecks, but about the racing format. Equal cars, oval track, simplified technology. I am not a fan, but I've been watching races more often these last few weeks and can kind of see the appeal.

So if you're not American, what do you think of it?

As an American, I hate it. Boring as fuck to watch. But, something to be said for driving skill, in a race where all cars are nearly the same. It really is down to the driver...but I don't understand why it has to be oval.

Nope can't stand it boring as fuck, v8 supercars is where it's at

I've never watched a race because I find the concept of oval racing dull. I've heard alot about NASCAR (mostly negative comments, yes, you can probably guess what they are without much trouble), but it still doesn't sound appealing. I prefer circuit racing, and the racing in NASCAR seems so contrived (eg, caution periods for the sake of it?).

Does that actually happen? I've never seen it.

I was half joking, but I read in F1 Racing magazine (obviously biased then) a comment from Bernie Ecclestone that it doesnt take much excuse for them to break out the safety car. Something about Americans having limited attention spans which is why all their major sports are punctuated by gaps.

I was half joking, but I read in F1 Racing magazine (obviously biased then) a comment from Bernie Ecclestone that it doesnt take much excuse for them to break out the safety car. Something about Americans having limited attention spans which is why all their major sports are punctuated by gaps.

It probably has less to do with our attention spans than it does with our unique ability to be overly litigious. Also, if a car spins or crashes pretty much anywhere on the track, it is only a matter of a few seconds before other cars reach it, so you have to slow them down before anyone gets there if you can.

I'm live in the US, and find it very boring. Just don't get it, going around circles (oval). F1, WRC for life!

I also dislike NASCAR, it's very boring and the technology is way outdated.

On the other hand I can watch hours and hours of bracket class drag racing. Of course it's my job, so that may have something to do with it... :lol:

But there isnt any skill involved! Floor it. Turn left. Go straight. Dodge car. Repeat 100x
I doubt it's that simple, otherwise every redneck would be doing it. Oh wait...

I do enjoy paying out NASCAR ;)

the problem with nascar is the "LACK" or corners, but they do drive American cars, corners are just too difficult!

*yes, i know the ovals are (corners) but they are banked, but at those speeds, and the slope(graidant), its technically a straight bit of road!

the problem with nascar is the "LACK" or corners, but they do drive American cars, corners are just too difficult!

*yes, i know the ovals are (corners) but they are banked, but at those speeds, and the slope(graidant), its technically a straight bit of road!

The whole concept is different. Just because other kinds of racing feature left and right turns, that doesn't automatically make it more difficult. Its like comparing professional golf and professional baseball. Both sports use a stick like object to hit a ball, but a baseball player must hit it while its moving. But are you seriously going to say that hitting a home run takes more talent than hitting a hole in one? It's impossible to quantify like that.

Whether it is a NASCAR race or Formula 1, the competition is at the absolute highest level. These arguments that NASCAR isn't difficult because all you do is point the car left and hit the gas are groundless.

I would say also that NASCAR has something Formula 1 (and the like) doesn't have that makes it exciting. It's called passing. A car moving up in position in most circuit races happens about as often as a goal in soccer. GOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!;)

NASCAR is really the amish of motorsports isn't it? If you don't allow the technology to change then wouldn't you just get the same stuff season after season? And if it's always on an oval wouldn't you only have a limited number of overtaking manoeuvres?

Also, I'm not a big fan of everyone having the same car. Having different cars with different attributes is part of the excitement isn't it? It's another factor affecting the race outcome and some of motorsport's greatest moments involve drivers in inferior cars storming through the grid.

I would say also that NASCAR has something Formula 1 (and the like) doesn't have that makes it exciting. It's called passing. A car moving up in position in most circuit races happens about as often as a goal in soccer. GOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!;)

But that's almost a problem in itself. What happens then is you get so much passing that it no longer excites anymore. Too much of a good thing I guess. I still prefer F1 where the anticipation of a pass can be quite exciting in itself.

Equal cars = Good
Simplified Technology = Not good IMO
Oval Tracks = Vomit.
You just watch 43 cars going around in circles for hundreds of laps and that is all... how can you possibly find that exciting? "more overtaking"?.... bullshit. :puke:
No. I have not watched a race I cannot be bothered...

We have passing in v8 supercars, and a non circualar track :p

I've watched a few NASCAR races and i can see it's appeal. But as said before, there is so much overtaking and so much cautions that it is impossible to keep up with the standings. I do appreciate the amount of concentration and skill it takes to be able to drive hundreds of laps with just 2 corners perfectly time after time with minimal margins (literally millimeters from the wall), without falling asleep of sheer boredom. But as a spectator it's just seeing a lot of brightly coloured cars going around in circles in constantly changing order, not so very interesting. Which is also why i'm not very fond of IRL.
As for the technology, there's something to say for keeping with a tried-and tested design that's been developed to it's absolute limits within the borders of the ruleset. But i have a feeling that after the very many years the car design has been used, a ceiling of development can be reached, and i fear that NASCAR will hit that very soon or has already hit it.
Still, NASCAR is less of a bore to watch than F1, because in NASCAR stuff actually happens, but too much for me. Just give some super-production streetcars racing around tracks with more than 2 (or 4, whichever way you look at it) corners.