What do non-Americans think of NASCAR

^ What you are stating is the super speedway tri-oval racing where the cars are restricted. Yes that happens. When the cars are not restricted then you don't have something like that.

I'm European and I just can't take to NASCAR. I've watched it several times but I just don't like it. It's over-exiting for me. I mean, cars pass each other 100 times a race but you know it doesn't matter much because the next lap it's gonna be the other way round. It doesn't fascinate me.

Maybe my opinion would be different if I had grown up in the US though :)

I'm European and I just can't take to NASCAR. I've watched it several times but I just don't like it. It's over-exiting for me. I mean, cars pass each other 100 times a race but you know it doesn't matter much because the next lap it's gonna be the other way round. It doesn't fascinate me.

Maybe my opinion would be different if I had grown up in the US though :)

You might have to retract that. I only started getting into NASCAR in late 2000 and I was born in Europe. I didn't arrive in Canada till 1992 and never heard of NASCAR before that.

You might have to retract that. I only started getting into NASCAR in late 2000 and I was born in Europe. I didn't arrive in Canada till 1992 and never heard of NASCAR before that.

Yeah, maybe :)
But right now, it's enough for me to watch a race every now and then when I have the opportunity (there's no TV channel broadcasting NASCAR here - but that's not the main reason I haven't got into it, because I like e.g. Champ Car and download every race of it) and looking up the results after every race.

I'm American and it's not my thing. The thing I hate about it is the mindless groupthink marketing hype machine. Just about the only redeeming thing about it is that it IS a motorsport that is popular, and thus at least the fans presumably care a tiny bit about actual cars.

I'm personally not that addicted to watching any automotive sport, but if I do I'd say it's ALMS, SCCA road racing, and of course I have to watch the 24 Hours of LeMans.

I don't like Nascar for so many reasons, ignoring the stereotype of the fans -- the cars that don't remotely relate to the name on the hood or a car you can buy (not that even then it would be interesting), the boring oval circuits, and the level of hype around it just plain confuses me. Bleh. I've seen bits when they run road courses and I can get into that to a degree; but it's only a handfull of times per year they run a road course and I'm not a big fan so I don't catch it most of the time.

I get much more excited over cars I can somewhat relate to (even if they are racing Astons and Corvettes and Porsches and Ferraris) and actual road courses. I'm not so much into the LMP cars that LeMans runs mixed in with the GT class. Hell even though I'm not particularly into it I'm very interested in factory cup cars and spec racing.

The whole "race on Sunday, buy on Monday" thing has completely fallen apart since the days of the Plymouth Superbird. I'm not quite sure what happened since I don't follow Nascar; I'm guessing government pressure and the oil crisis killed the American musclecar and Nascar was left holding the bag with nothing, so came up with its own? I don't know. I think Nascar would be much more valuable and exciting if, instead of some homogenized thing on an oval, they raced on road courses and Ford was out there with the Mustang, Chevrolet was out there with the Camaro, Dodge was out there with the Challenger, all trying to one-up each other and push the envelope on development of the street car. Sort of like how things from the C6R LeMans cars are filtering down to street Corvettes.

My Dad won a trip to see the last race of what was then the Winston Cup in Arizona, I figured I'd tag along to see what's up. I didn't like it at all. I can talk about the crowd there too if anybody wants to confirm stereotypes; the sport I've been to most often is (US) Football; it's like you've got 10 teams' fans mixed in the stands, all getting drunk and harassing each other. Everybody fixates on a driver (though from what I see F1 seems to elicit this too).

Last edited:
the problem with nascar is the "LACK" or corners, but they do drive American cars, corners are just too difficult!

American cars like this?
camrynascar1.jpg

That's part of the problem I have -- these cars are all the same underneath and have nothing to do with the name painted on them or cars sold in showrooms.

American cars like this?
camrynascar1.jpg

That's part of the problem I have -- these cars are all the same underneath and have nothing to do with the name painted on them or cars sold in showrooms.

yes, American cars like that. considering it technically is an American car. most of the Toyota's you see on the roads today are, infact, built here in America. and none other than the most southern states you can ever think of are where the factories are located.

also, this is a better interpratation of what they'll be driving this upcoming season:
117954_toy.jpg

they're getting real close to the production car's lines with the front end and roofline. so no, it's not just a body with headlights/tail lights stuck on it.

yes, they're still running pushrods and hitting 800+hp N/A. but the aero development that is going into these new COT's is about as much as F1 developing the aero for their cars.

Question with the Car of Tomorrow - what's the goal behind it? Cosmetics aside, is it meant to change the racing at all? Slow the field on the Super Speedways?

Yeah, I could google it, but this is much easier :p

Question with the Car of Tomorrow - what's the goal behind it? Cosmetics aside, is it meant to change the racing at all? Slow the field on the Super Speedways?

Yeah, I could google it, but this is much easier :p

its supposed to slow it down for more passing and also it incorporates safety. if you look at the pic i posted, the window area is ALOT larger and the cars are wider than the previous race cars. the reason for the window being larger is because it gives them more room to jump out quickly. as for them being wider, its because styrofoam is behind the sheetmetal in front of the cage to absorb the force of an impact. so basically, when they hit the wall door first, its practically a pillow since they still use Soft Walls.

its supposed to slow it down for more passing and also it incorporates safety. if you look at the pic i posted, the window area is ALOT larger and the cars are wider than the previous race cars. the reason for the window being larger is because it gives them more room to jump out quickly. as for them being wider, its because styrofoam is behind the sheetmetal in front of the cage to absorb the force of an impact. so basically, when they hit the wall door first, its practically a pillow since they still use Soft Walls.

Also, the driver has been moved closer to the center of the car by about 6" I think. The reason for the Aero Package is to make it easier for the back row teams to try and even things up. There are certain areas incorporated to slow the car down (the windshield is steeper).

Nascar (at Wal Mart :lol:)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFr0Ze3fgyA[/YOUTUBE]

F1
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ywnDQ7orWo[/YOUTUBE]

And for kicks a F355, that's a V8 for ya
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LdaNknrWxs[/YOUTUBE]

Nascar (at Wal Mart :lol:)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFr0Ze3fgyA[/YOUTUBE]

F1
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ywnDQ7orWo[/YOUTUBE]

And for kicks a F355, that's a V8 for ya
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LdaNknrWxs[/YOUTUBE]

yeah, good job on posting a REALLY low quality video of a NASCAR race car at idle and then posting 2 higher quality videos after it.

I'd take the V8 from a NASCAR car anyday.

So if you're not American, what do you think of it?

A bit late for this thread, I know, but here is what I think of it:

Boring as hell, they can't drive as they just go around in circles, Rednecks watch it for local pride and the rest because of the crashes...
But don't mind me, if you enjoy watching it, please do. I guess its nice to watch live, though!

A bit late for this thread, I know, but here is what I think of it:

Boring as hell, they can't drive as they just go around in circles, Rednecks watch it for local pride and the rest because of the crashes...
But don't mind me, if you enjoy watching it, please do. I guess its nice to watch live, though!

i totally wish i could just slap you through the internet.

here, you know what, i'll just post a video of them going around in "circles" that i posted a couple of pages back....
[YOUTUBE]hC0XBfly_qc[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]yQiH_ZZBC7M[/YOUTUBE]

now, onto the redneck statement....

so you're pretty much saying i'm a redneck because i watch NASCAR? GOD that's ignorant.

every time i make it up to Daytona to watch testing or goto the Bud Shootout, i see more and more people from minorities including African Americans, hispanics, and Asians. i also see people from ALL around the world including Europe and Australia. not just because JPM and Ambrose are racing, just because they love the sport itself.

Redneck thing aside (I'm assuming slang for "native American") my problem with Nascar is 1. Extremely ugly and dememted looking cars and 2. It is like touring cars but they just go around an oval instead of a track.