What do you consider to be a food crime?

Isn't that just Toast Hawaii? :lol:

Pineapple, cheese and Ham are a winning combo no matter the "medium" they come with ;)

So yes, I will admit that I?ve been guilty of the occasional pizza hawaii ... yes, it shouldn?t belong together, but it goes so well ...

Seasoning before tasting

That?s something that I do since having moved to france. Every potato-dish comes with too little salt for my german taste. I figured that out in the first half year and reach for the salt-shaker instantly once the plate with potatoes arrives. It?s not ignorance, it?s experience.

Ketchup in general it's pure fucking sugar
I don?t get the tomato sugar-water either, but there are plenty of awesome ketchup-related products out there.

312670_Hela-Gewuerzketchup_xxl.jpg

Yes, Germany figured out Ketchup. You?re welcome :D

Well done steak

While I prefer my steak and meat medium generally, I also hate being told how to eat stuff. I?m with Hemily against the steak-nazis ;)
Can?t blame anyone for ordering well done.
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/06/rare-burgers/

t3h r0x0rs said:
Mixing ginger ale with wine.[...]
I like good wine (hell, I?m gonna be at the Salon des Vins des Vignerons Ind?pendants this weekend and will spend lot?s of money on good wine). It would be a shame to put anything in good wine. But the cheap plonk? Mix that with Cola, ginger ale or make Sangria ... I don?t care. Just leave the good wine alone ...

Last edited:
Ketchup seems to be quite common on this list, so I'll add another:

Ketchup on hot dogs (yes, I grew up near Chicago)

Hmm, interesting. I'm guilty of using too much ketchup (wot? ketchup and chinese food, especially fried rice, is tasty) and a few other crimes mentioned above, but I'm going throw in something from the other side: motherfucking truffle oil on everything!

Unless you can get natural truffle oil, I don't want everything on the menu to taste like artificial dirt.

Overcooked steak. No, I don't care that you don't like the taste of medium-rare steak, that just means you don't like steak and want someone to cook all the flavor out of it until it's about as pleasant as eating a boiled shoe. Just go order a shoe and stop wasting premium beef, because you clearly can't tell the difference between a dog-food cut and Choice.

Overcooked eggs. Scrambled, omelet, fried, it doesn't matter. Don't overcook the eggs.

Ranch Dressing. Seriously, this stuff has gone from an American classic to the hallmark of low-class dining - typically screeched at a waiter by some WalMart-shopping lardbucket, "Ya got any raaaaaaaaanch?!" Stop putting ranch on everything (or anything), for starters it is typically industrial-grade sputum and secondly - there is absolutely no job that Ranch can do that Bleu Cheese can't do better.

V8 is not tomato juice - no, V8 is not okay as a substitute.

Does alcohol count as food? Fuck it, yes it does. Budweiser, Coors, Miller and anything even similar is a crime against humanity and should be thrown in a river an then have the river thrown into the sun. So many good beers out there as it is, and any one of these companies could make a perfectly acceptable beer if they wanted to. Instead we get flavorless pisswater from companies that try to tell us that "real men don't drink craft beer - that's for sissies." No. Fuck you. Real men not only will appreciate the craft of brewing and the time spent on a fine beer, they will also be able to cook a meal to pair with it. So lick my asshole, Budweiser, it will get the taste of your product out of your mouth.

Too Much Salt and Added Sugar. There are almost limitless herbs and spices in the world, not to mention so many other ways to build a nice flavor in a dish. Stop adding salt by the bucket full to a dish. Some fresh lemon is also a flavor-enhancer and brings so much more to a dish than plain old salt.

Ketchup on any meat-in-a-tube variation. Mustard, onions, sauerkraut, maybe even some relish (not with kraut) if you are feeling the need, but never ketchup.

Last edited:
Blue cheese tastes like mold. I've lived in homes with bad mold problems, and blue cheese smells and tastes just like the air that spilled out of my closet when I peeled my leather jacket off the wall. Putting blue cheese on anything is a food crime. Gross, dude.

That said, I don't mean that as a defense of ranch dressing. However, house made buttermilk ranch (either at home, or at a kickass steak/chop/prime rib house) is miles better than any bottled, likely corn-syrup, emulsifier and stabilizer-laden, version.

Question: why is ketchup indefensible, yet mustard is OK? I see people ragging on ketchup, but only as it comes from Hunts/Heinz...while I dislike ketchup in general, I will say that, again, a house/home-made ketchup can be quite tasty, and doesn't have to be overly sweet...you can choose to highlight the tart/acidic nature of the tomato, the savory aspect, or you can make it sweet.

Last edited:
I use ketchup, but preferable something more spicy'ish, rather than the pure sugar sweet stuff...
And i dislike undercooked steaks that people obsess over like some form of meat fetish.

I think the only thing i really call a crime against food... is people. :p

The people that eat undercooked meat are up there along with vegans and cross fit people. :p

c1d.jpg

If you order a steak well done, half of its weight in liquid will have evaporated during cooking. Theres no such thing as sealing in the juices. Further, that link about rare burgers only applies to ground meat. When you have a piece of steak you kill all the outside bacteria while searing it. You do not have this comfort with burgers. You then rely on your butcher operating in a clean manner. Ive eaten pink burgers for years and never had issues. I second the thought on well done steak == shoe. Dont go to an expensive steak house and order it well done. Youre wasting your money.

It's personal preference, is this so hard to understand for meatheads?

It's not about what is "the best" or "the healthiest" it's about how I, personally prefer my food...

It's why these folks telling me how i should enjoy my meal gets on my nerves, they can just fuck off and go jerk off to a side of beef or whatever they do in their free time, and let people eat their meals how they want to.

I enjoy a good ham and pineapple pizza now and again.

Other than that, I can agree with many other sentiments here. Although I don't consider something a "crime" if it's a nothing food. What you put on your toast doesn't bother me, but what you put on your filet mignon might.

It's personal preference, is this so hard to understand for meatheads?

It's not about what is "the best" or "the healthiest" it's about how I, personally prefer my food...

It's why these folks telling me how i should enjoy my meal gets on my nerves, they can just fuck off and go jerk off to a side of beef or whatever they do in their free time, and let people eat their meals how they want to.

Well, I doubt any chef worth anything will agree with you. There is a right way and a wrong way to cook lots of things, "I like my vegetables mushy" no, you like them over cooked and no restaurant is going to serve over cooked broccoli as an option.

Again, it gets back to being a waste. Over cooking a fine steak ruins it, it makes it indistinguishable from cheap dog-food grade beef. Save yourself the money and buy the cheapest leftover garbage-cuts possible, you won't notice a difference at your meal.

Honey mustard: Two things that, to my taste, simply aren't meant to be combined.
I had a (female) server at a restaurant ask me why I requested that it be left off my sandwich. I asked her how she'd like it if I tried to feed her peppermint pickles.
Some restaurants and fast-food places have begun substituting honey mustard for mayonnaise (especially on club sandwiches) and not noting it on the menu... a sure way to get this customer to raise hell with the server!

The 'salt' thing... people with heart conditions often have to limit their salt intake to near-nothing. Quite a few chefs have recognized this problem and have reduced or eliminated the salt they once used so freely. Since my mother (now deceased) had to deal with heart disease for the last decade of her life, I've cut back on my salt intake because my taste for it changed drastically after we began cooking for her.

Pre-seasoning... in my book, it's an insult to the chef. At least try a small bite before you season. If nothing else, you'll score points with knowledgeable servers.

Ketchup? I like it as a 'dip' for french fries or onion rings, but in very small amounts. I'll eat it on scrambled eggs once-in-a-great-while, but - again - in very small amounts. I've tried the European yellow mayonnaise dip for french fries (chips), but still haven't really acquired the taste.

Collard greens are related to the cabbage family, but the plants have individual leaves, more like spinach and have a slightly bitter taste. My personal preference is to eat collard greens raw in a salad. If you're cooking with them, please don't turn them into mush. I also like them heated with onions and chopped peppers (your choice) and a little vinegar to 'wilt' them, but PLEASE leave out the sugar!!

SL

I generally don't buy steaks when i'm out for dinner, i know i don't like that that much, and if i'm forced to eat some, i want it properly cooked.
And properly cooked doesn't mean somehow magically turning it into a shoe sole or something, it's just cooked properly, i don't eat raw meat.

Usually solved by ordering foods i actually enjoy instead, i'm not gonna go to a steak restaurant and demand A5 meat, because i won't enjoy it.

It's like if someone ordered an Americano from a proper Barista... it's warm water with a drop of coffee... might as well just not have coffee. :p

So it's not like i go from restaurant to restaurant forcing chefs to make well done steaks like some B movie villain :p

On this thing, i end up around medium to medium well. My annoyance is the specific sort of steak nazis that demand everyone should eat their steak rare.
DLkpoap.jpg

My annoyance is the specific sort of steak nazis that demand everyone should eat their steak rare.

Years ago there was a restaurant that I liked (now closed), owned by a nice guy with a sense of humor.
His chefs prepared really good meals, but the above-mentioned steak nazis drove him nuts... so, he added this to his menus:

"Steak definitions:
Rare: We walk it slowly past the stove.
Medium rare: Same as above, but with the stove turned on."

:p SL

I generally don't buy steaks when i'm out for dinner, i know i don't like that that much, and if i'm forced to eat some, i want it properly cooked.
And properly cooked doesn't mean somehow magically turning it into a shoe sole or something, it's just cooked properly, i don't eat raw meat.

bJAUuEp.gif

Rare or medium-rare does not mean raw. That's steak tartare, and it's glorious. Also, "properly cooked" steak will still have some pink in the middle and not have all the moisture cooked out of it.

Compared to a real "properly" cooked steak, medium-well or well-done is like eating shoe leather, it also has much less flavor; ie, it's ruined.

Honey mustard: Two things that, to my taste, simply aren't meant to be combined.

Oh that brings back bad memories. Honey mustard is something I've never bought, but I went to a gourmet sandwich shop for lunch one afternoon and ordered a sandwich that had it. The whole thing tasted strongly of honey. It was repulsive.

Also, "properly cooked" steak will still have some pink in the middle and not have all the moisture cooked out of it.

Honestly, I don't believe anyone here is defending well-done, and possible even not medium well. Pink is A-OK. Red, is not for me. And honestly, unless I trust a place to not give me meat that still bleeds, I'll order medium well the first time if it's a burger. Always medium if it's a steak, and if the place proves that they can control it and hit medium well without hitting well-done on a burger, I'll then go with medium.

You know there's no actual blood in the meat, right?