What do you guys think of Top Gear USA currently?

What do you guys think of Top Gear USA currently?

• Yes

Votes: 82 83.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Maybe if it improved.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Haven't watched it yet.

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

rom1n

Car(s)
GTR34 '01, M5 04', Patrol '08, G37S '08
As a avid fan of TGUK, I am really starting to like Top Gear USA. I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks, I mean the first few episodes were catastrophic, I use to close it mid way through, but now I actually wait for it to come out. What everyone else thinks (mostly TGUK fan)?

i've not seen the absolute latest, but i've noticed they focus a lot on the used car challenges, and usually buy nice cars and wreck them, and make a lover of cars quite sad, seeing cars that deserved better get demolished just because. They ruined a Corvair... i stopped watching after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
TGUS keeps on getting better and better. Season three was great, and so far season four has been downright awesome. Sadly, the same cannot be said for the mothership.

Seasons 3 and 4 have been better than the past few seasons of TG UK imo, and there's been some especially epic episodes in those like S4E4 which aired 2 days ago that could probably contend with the best of the TG UK episodes.

It's hard for me to weigh in on TGUS since admittedly I have not watched them all. I have watched a lot of them, but have a hard time getting into for a few reasons.

1 - The hosts don't seem to have that same relationship as TGUK. I think that is portrayed mainly in TGUS's lack of a sit down News type segment where TGUK typically take some time to riff on each other and kind of show that even off camera they spend time together as friends instead of just as co-workers. I don't get that sense from TGUS, so their banter kind of appears to be forced or rehearsed.

2 - TGUS doesn't seem to do many car reviews. TGUK's opinion on a car actually seems to be a big deal over there (See the Stig crashing a koenigsegg, saying it needs a wing, and then the company adding a wing and sending it back to TGUK. Also see Rover refusing to give TGUK a car to review, resulting in James May's secret mission review. Also see Chrysler refusing to give Hammond a Challenger during one of their runs through the US). I get the feeling that car companies across the pond either look forward to TGUK's review, or look to TGUK's complaints to further improve their cars. TGUK's chief complaint about American cars are 'rubbish interiors', and I tend to agree. I think if serious motoring journalists started being vocal about plastic not belonging on the interior of a 'luxury car', our own auto companies would start producing better products that TGUK might actually start paying attention to. I don't think TGUS has that kind of fan base to influence car makers though.

3 - All of TGUS seems like specials or challenges. This again seems to be due to a lack of a news segment, car review segments, or celebrity interviews to break up the main feature. Additionally, TGUS's challenges don't look like the presenters actually took part in the challenge aside from driving the creations. For example - the Alaska convertible challenge - do you think any of the presenters actually built their convertibles? As crappy as they were, it looks like a lot of time was actually spent in a shop with real metal workers and fabricators. TGUK gives the impression that the presenters actually do a lot of their own fabrication on their challenges, and the end product usually reflects that in a far more humorous way.

4 - TGUS seems to exist in a vacuum where TGUK doesn't exist. TGAUS went bust, but at least they did tie ins with TGUK and followed the format, even opened with Jessica. There was a feeling that all was right in the world. TGUS doing its own opening music, never mentioning TGUK, having a Stig character but only so rarely seeing him utilized (Though fairly pointless because isn't Tanner actually an accomplished rally driver?), it just seems like the Stig was there only attempt at paying tribute to TGUK and he seems to have been retired. As it is now, I don't see much reason for TGUS to carry the Top Gear brand since it has so little to do with the Top Gear that the world already knows. It could just as well be called Shenanigans with Cars.

That is my impression of TGUS vs TGUK. It may be created by false impressions from the episodes I have seen since I have not gone on any TGUS marathon viewings like I have with TGUK. But every time I sit down wanting to give TGUS a try, it seems to lose my interest. TGUK seems more genuine, the presenters have better chemistry, the humor is more evolved, and when they do serious car reviews, companies seem to listen. I think TGUS would serve itself well to adopt more of the TGUK format, at least with car reviews and a news segment. The TGUS big star small car segments, when they did them, were quite boring. I wouldn't mind not seeing them pursue more of those.

It's like a charicature version of the UK show, and they removed some very interesting parts to chop it down to 40 minutes; it's actually even less because they rehash after every commercial, so maybe 33 minutes of actual show. Then they try to imply that Foust as a successful racer, when it appears he's not. Doing donuts and burnouts is a 17 year old's past time. It's not racing, but TGA seems to make a big deal of it. And they get their sports mixed up; in TGA [04x03] it's implied that drifting is the same as rally racing. So, to sum up: Tanner, good driver, but kind of wooden as a presenter. Wood; even more so. Ferrera; simple car guy who they make out to be someone who breaks everything he touches; wouldn't want him near my car, even though he's the only decent presenter in the bunch. In real life, he probably loves cars and takes care of his own. Challenges should try to emulate real life tasks, driving a snow storm on nearly worn out tires? . Distance challenge with cars having radiator leaks, bum u joints, etc.. Delivering stuff over rough roads, or how to make the perfect pizza delivery car; then have the guys actually deliver to a bunch of places and see what kind of tips they get, wearing randomly assigned oddball outfits. ask for suggestions from the fans. You'll get thousands. Because right now, it appears you're running out of ideas. The home made Alaskan convertibles was idiotic; a genuine targa, large sunroof or t top car is a much better idea.
The rally episode was so faulty, it became stupid. Having Adam and Rutledge take off together trying to avoid the pro was absurd. The whole point of rallying spacing the contestants is for safety and to avoid interferance from the other cars. Which you intentionally put into the episode. Nuts.

Last edited:
Myself, I like TGUS, and it seems to me that it's getting better, as is the chemistry of the presenters. I am not looking to compare it with TGUK because I don't want to see a TGUK II. Like I've said some time back, I don't need car reviews of automobiles I will never consider purchasing, I'll read Car And Driver for them.

It's alright, I watch every episode but I don't get excited about it in the same way that I do Top Gear, I think the producers are un ambitious and lacking imagination, they are content with making a History channel program when it could be a really awesome show. Perhaps the fact that it's on History channel is holding it back from reaching it's true potential.

i've not seen the absolute latest, but i've noticed they focus a lot on the used car challenges, and usually buy nice cars and wreck them, and make a lover of cars quite sad, seeing cars that deserved better get demolished just because. They ruined a Corvair... i stopped watching after that.

Same here. I liked the show and wished it the best, but I'd rather there be more classic cars on the road and less car shows on tv. I can't stand them buying very decent old cars and destroying them for no reason. I don't think there is a single person involved in the show that has a genuine love of cars. They're just collecting a pay check.

TGUS keeps on getting better and better. Season three was great, and so far season four has been downright awesome. Sadly, the same cannot be said for the mothership.

:nod:

These days, I look forward to TGUSA more than TGUK. The mothership has lost its lustre,

1 - The hosts don't seem to have that same relationship as TGUK. I think that is portrayed mainly in TGUS's lack of a sit down News type segment where TGUK typically take some time to riff on each other and kind of show that even off camera they spend time together as friends instead of just as co-workers. I don't get that sense from TGUS, so their banter kind of appears to be forced or rehearsed.

Go watch an early episode of TGUK. By early, I mean Series 2-early (as James was not in the first series). The chemistry between Jeremy, James, and Richard at that time was very stilted. IMO, they didn't gel as a trio until around Series 4. On the other hand, Adam, Tanner and Rutledge (IMO) started gelling with the first Alaska special, at the end of US S1. They did in nine episodes what it took the UK trio twenty to thirty to do.

You also need to remember that the US is a larger country than the UK, and that all three US hosts have established careers outside TG. Adam has his stand-up and acting. Tanner has his racing. Rutledge covers NASCAR (and is a father to two young girls).

2 - TGUS doesn't seem to do many car reviews. TGUK's opinion on a car actually seems to be a big deal over there (See the Stig crashing a koenigsegg, saying it needs a wing, and then the company adding a wing and sending it back to TGUK. Also see Rover refusing to give TGUK a car to review, resulting in James May's secret mission review. Also see Chrysler refusing to give Hammond a Challenger during one of their runs through the US). I get the feeling that car companies across the pond either look forward to TGUK's review, or look to TGUK's complaints to further improve their cars. TGUK's chief complaint about American cars are 'rubbish interiors', and I tend to agree. I think if serious motoring journalists started being vocal about plastic not belonging on the interior of a 'luxury car', our own auto companies would start producing better products that TGUK might actually start paying attention to. I don't think TGUS has that kind of fan base to influence car makers though.

TGUSA did do car reviews in the first season. They scrapped it in favour of the challenges because they were more popular. And besides that, IMO, the reviews weren't really necessary. If someone in the US wants to see/read a car review, there are plenty of other places to look. (e.g., Car & Driver, Motortrend, Consumer Reports)

3 - All of TGUS seems like specials or challenges. This again seems to be due to a lack of a news segment, car review segments, or celebrity interviews to break up the main feature. Additionally, TGUS's challenges don't look like the presenters actually took part in the challenge aside from driving the creations. For example - the Alaska convertible challenge - do you think any of the presenters actually built their convertibles? As crappy as they were, it looks like a lot of time was actually spent in a shop with real metal workers and fabricators. TGUK gives the impression that the presenters actually do a lot of their own fabrication on their challenges, and the end product usually reflects that in a far more humorous way.

S1 had an occasional news segment, and the first season and the first half of Season 2 had "Big Star, Small Car" (SIARPC).

I still maintain that -- given their filming schedule at El Toro at the time (two weeks to film all the studio links, plus BSSC) -- a proper news segment was impossible to do. By the time the episodes aired, virtually any news would be redundant. If they filmed similarly to the UK guys -- e.g., filming at El Toro on a Thursday or Friday to air the following Tuesday -- it would be different.

4 - TGUS seems to exist in a vacuum where TGUK doesn't exist. TGAUS went bust, but at least they did tie ins with TGUK and followed the format, even opened with Jessica. There was a feeling that all was right in the world. TGUS doing its own opening music, never mentioning TGUK, having a Stig character but only so rarely seeing him utilized (Though fairly pointless because isn't Tanner actually an accomplished rally driver?), it just seems like the Stig was there only attempt at paying tribute to TGUK and he seems to have been retired. As it is now, I don't see much reason for TGUS to carry the Top Gear brand since it has so little to do with the Top Gear that the world already knows. It could just as well be called Shenanigans with Cars.

Season 1 had the "Jessica"-based theme. It was ditched. IMO, it was to separate itself from the mothership and forge its own identity, which I believe was the right thing to do, and this is why I think TG Australia failed.

TGUK seems more genuine,

It seems less genuine now than it did in its heyday. While the guys still enjoy each other, enjoy working together, whatever the show had is practically diminished because a lot of it is so damn contrived within an inch of its life that it doesn't seem natural at all. I barely watched UK S20 (only saw two episodes) because S19 was just so lacklustre after the very stellar S18, that I got sick of having to endure the rollercoaster. I honestly don't know if I'm going to bother with this year's Christmas special or Series 21.

On the other hand, I'm much more eager to see what Adam, Tanner, and Rutledge are going to do next. I loved last week's US episode. Best Top Gear episode I've seen, from either franchise, in the last three years.

I may have to give them another chance then. I tried watching the first season and it was horrible, tried watching during season two and it didn't seem to be any better than the first season, so I just gave up on them.

I may have to give them another chance then. I tried watching the first season and it was horrible, tried watching during season two and it didn't seem to be any better than the first season, so I just gave up on them.
Season 3 is definitely when the show started to find its footing and only because they decided to scrap the TG format and stick to what they did best. A few rehashes as expected, but they did most with their own little twists and take on the challenge.

Season 3 is definitely when the show started to find its footing and only because they decided to scrap the TG format and stick to what they did best. A few rehashes as expected, but they did most with their own little twists and take on the challenge.

I'd go as far as saying the second half of season two was when you started seeing a noticeable improvement. Since then it's just gotten better and better.

I also have enjoyed TGUS more than TGUK as of late, but then I remember TGUK really started hitting it's stride in the 4th season and stayed strong pretty much through Season 12 before it started to fall with Season 13 onwards.

This evening's episode was the best yet, IMO.

It's always the same format, it's always "Tanner wins in the end so he can drive the fast car". If you watched one show you've watched them all.

It's always the same format, it's always "Tanner wins in the end so he can drive the fast car". If you watched one show you've watched them all.

So am I to take it that you stopped watching TGUK after the first time Jeremy powerslid around the track shouting "POOOOOOWWWER!!"?. I mean, once you've watched that once you're watched them all.

I've been saying that for years but they do alternate the type of episode although there are only a select few options they make use of. Still, at least they have some personality, quality wise it's just better and there's some news and stuff, at times.

Last edited:
Another month before new TGUS, but hey I guess its worth the wait...after seeing how awesome the last episode was...