What does LS1 stand for?

Blayde

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'06 Honda Civic EXi, '11 Kia Sportage EX
What does the ls1 term stand for in ls1 engine the one used by a lot of chevorlet sports cars[/b]

no seriously (i want to know what THEY think its called) :lol:

Checked google, not alot of info on that.

I think it's a small aluminium block only for US cars like Corvette.

i looked on google mostly they tell you everything except the origin of the name even the lt1 or ls6

nothing

in the 70s they named one of their engines LT1 and another one LS1, and when they come up with a new engine, they just give it the same name

unlike japansese codes, there's no logic in them what so ever

yeah the new one is the genIII ls1

i was like :shock: hey you bastards enuff with the number stinginess

Yep, I just spent some time looking for it, and can't find anything about the name. Probably there's nothing about it. Probably couldn't think about it. They call small block an engine with more than 4 or even 5 liters. :bangin:

nono 5.7 to be exact

if they were to release a 2 liter rally car orotherwise they would have to stick 2 turbos to egt it to 100hp

chevy's newest small-block is the LS7 (used in the new C6 Corvette Z06)...it's displacement: 7 liters :shock:

But according to some people, the engine is still compact :roll:

bihus said:
Yep, I just spent some time looking for it, and can't find anything about the name. Probably there's nothing about it. Probably couldn't think about it. They call small block an engine with more than 4 or even 5 liters. :bangin:
If you've seen one of these engines outside of it's car you'll realize why they call it a "small" block. Compared to a DOHC motor, these things are tiny:
motor-4.6-4V-004.jpg

^4.6L DOHC on the left, 5.0L pushrod on the right. The real reason, though, is that the "big block" motors from the 60s were 7.5L or more!

Didn't LT1 stand for Light Truck and LS1 mean Light Sports 1st Gen (Light being used loosely)?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

blaydexi said:
yeah the new one is the genIII ls1

i was like :shock: hey you bastards enuff with the number stinginess

The GENIII is old as. Its been in commodores here for ages. (mid VT range)

The GENIV is out (?) now or is coming soon.

It doesn't stand for anything.
It's just a GM product code, all GM cars are riddled with them few of them mean anything.

The LS1 is the 5.7Ltr all aluminum small block Chevy engine that kicks out about 330BHP in stock form which is found in Camaro's, Firebirds, C5 Corvettes and Monaros.

The current model is the LS2 which is basically the same with 6 ltrs and 400BHP.

The Corvette C5 Z06 used the LS6 engine which was a tweaked LS1 with 405BHP.
The new C6 Z06 uses the LS7 engine which is a reworked LS6 with 7litres and 500BHP.

Fabulous engines, buckets loads of cheap reliable power and they're infinitably tunable, bung in a couple of turbos and they're insane!!

Matthew

qube said:
It doesn't stand for anything.
It's just a GM product code, all GM cars are riddled with them few of them mean anything.

The LS1 is the 5.7Ltr all aluminum small block Chevy engine that kicks out about 330BHP in stock form which is found in Camaro's, Firebirds, C5 Corvettes and Monaros.

The current model is the LS2 which is basically the same with 6 ltrs and 400BHP.

The Corvette C5 Z06 used the LS6 engine which was a tweaked LS1 with 405BHP.
The new C6 Z06 uses the LS7 engine which is a reworked LS6 with 7litres and 500BHP.

Fabulous engines, buckets loads of cheap reliable power and they're infinitably tunable, bung in a couple of turbos and they're insane!!

Matthew

A mate of mine has had 3 cars with them in it. They all piston slapped and drank oil. Anyone else have this problem??

Mine have both been fine...slightly noisy at times, but mostly from the injectors.

It was mostly the early ones with these issues, and it was a relatively small percentage that had issues. A rebuild may or not fix the problem, if the cylinder bore is too big for the pistons/rings, you can rebuild it a hundred times over and it will stil drink lots of oil and cause other issues.

Actually, mine were probably fine because from VXII and onwards (mid 2001) they had better tolerances and teflon coated cylinder sleeves or something like that.

Leppy said:
A mate of mine has had 3 cars with them in it. They all piston slapped and drank oil. Anyone else have this problem??

how many miles did they have. the symptones point to wearn out pistons or pistonrings

bone said:
Leppy said:

how many miles did they have. the symptones point to wearn out pistons or pistonrings

"miles" isn't the issue, a friend has over 522000km on his LS1 powered Caprice (not the Chev Caprice, but the Holden Caprice - totally different!). He uses it as a limo and does over 100000km per year. And I know a few more with over 300000km on them.

It is more the tolerances are not as acurate as they should be, and because it's alloy, it expands and shrinks more than an iron block would, so any small gaps/discrepencies will be magnified when it cools/heats.

it could well be that the rings keep wearing because it's too tight, or it could be that it's not tight enough and oil/gases are getting past...Holden don't really let on to they problems they were having.