What has happened to TGA

blackadder1964

It seems to have disappeared after just 3 episodes and the ashes special, no new ep for two weeks and according to my tivo nothing next week either. Before posting this I looked at the TGA website no mention of further episodes. Nine had a recent UK ep instead.

There was originally mean't to be an episode tonight but Nine pulled it a couple of weeks ago,so there must be at least one more episode.It not on in the next two weeks.

There was originally mean't to be an episode tonight but Nine pulled it a couple of weeks ago,so there must be at least one more episode.It not on in the next two weeks.

Putting on the Ashes special followed by a gap of weeks then three episode followed by a gap of weeks seems like the perfect idea, if they are wanting to guarantee a show will rate poorly, the real deathblow would be if it does return it's moved to a later time slot, that is TV code for we are canceling this but have to play the remaining episodes because of the money already invested.
A fate hopefully pre-destined for the Warnie Show I have seen advertised over just the last week.

I preferred the Ozgear to Ukgear it felt a little more genuine rather than panto. Hopefully they'll be back soon nothing kills a program faster than moving it around the schedule every week.

Doesn't this irritate you guys? I'm frankly a bit pissed off that this series is turning out like this. And where did it say this series was only 4 eps?

This is channel 9 - it's what was predicted when they bought the franchise (mountains of ads, bait & switch programming, sneaking in repeats, etc.). Many of the non-Aussie members were bagging us for bagging channel 9 before things even started, but of course we were proved right.

So frustrating, was just beginning to warm to the new series.

Shame they're messing it around so much. Hopefully it'll find a regular slot with a 10 eps season (will be hard to build a viewing base on just 3 or 6 eps')

I was really starting to like the new host lineup! I'm missing it a lot. I think it really managed to become its own thing, and that's what makes it so good.

Pizatti's twitter said there was going to be an episode aired this week (16th) but we know that didn't happen in the end, so there is a *least* one more episode 'in the can'. I'd expect a late night time slot and/or only played after ratings season is over :(

edit - at least we don't have to wait long to see TG America - fingers crossed it is good :)

^^^

Saving people the trouble:

Steve and Ewen find out if the top-of-the-range 4WD's from Porsche and BMW really stack up in the speed stakes.

Ewen and Shane find out if the humble family van is really as daggy as it appears whilst Jimmy Barnes takes on our Celebrity track.

Shane drives two Peter Brock inspired "Blue Meanie" Holden's. Steve heads to New Zealand and becomes a test pilot for the latest NZ super car, "The Hulme".

And... Shane and Ewen ask the question - can a V8 really rock your baby to sleep?

Yep, I posted that on TVRage. It comes directly from the synopsis that Nine posted on throng.com.au.

Episode 4 was pushed back a week because of the IQ Test, then pushed back a further week before being pulled. No word as yet when Nine will show it.

I was really starting to like the new host lineup! I'm missing it a lot. I think it really managed to become its own thing, and that's what makes it so good.

The season opening with an automotive deathmatch with the UK hosts heralded a new and much improved tempo for TG:Aussie Fun Edition... and the TV company (or whomever) just had to ruin its momentum!

Whose ass do we kick :p

Here is my guess at the decision process at Nine.

Nine wanted Top Gear UK. It was the highest rating show on SBS. So Nine threw a huge sum of money at the Top Gear brand to lure them away from SBS. Top Gear said, "It is a package deal. If you want the UK version, you have to do the Aussie version." In an effort to quietly kill the Aussie version, Nine reworked as much of the show as they could. New hosts, new track layout, and a new (and stupid) celebrity car. To try to convince the Top Gear brand that they are not trying to kill the Aussie show, they dropped a huge sum on making "The Ashes" special. Meanwhile, they cut corners on the rest of the series, reduce the quality, and edit it badly. Add to that the usual Nine trick of scheduling hell. The falling ratings will be the excuse to kill the Aussie version. If the Top Gear brand makes a protest, Nine will just say, "The money we would have spent on the Aussie version, we are just going to give to you for the UK version anyway. So it's more money you."

Fans of the Aussie version get screwed. But nine doesn't care, as we will be drowned out by the ratings of the endless repeats of the UK version.

The ratings of "The Ashes" special showed the potential that the Aussie show has. If the rest of the series doesn't live up to that, then that is Nine's fault. Not a problem with the Top Gear brand.

I really hope that the American version is successful. If the Americans can make the show work, and Nine can't, that is proof that they never really tried.

So it's been officially canned by Nien? Any sources on this?

I'm not surprised by this. Nien just wanted TGUK, TGAU was just an expensive catch the deal... of course, they had to try and do it their way and screwed it up. Not surprising why they want to get rid of it when no one wants to watch it...

No, nothing official. Just my own theory.

After the way they have completely stuffed it around, if they cancel it, I hope Top Gear UK goes shopping for another network.

The ratings period ends on 28th Nov. Nine is probably airing the TG UK reruns to maximise the end of year ratings (every last viewer boosting the numbers counts for next years advertising pricing). Hopefully they'll show the last ep(s?) after the 28th *shrug*