What is/are the most reliable engines ever made?

engine

noun en?gine \?en-j?n\

: a machine that changes energy (such as heat from burning fuel) into mechanical motion

There is no such thing as an electric engine. They are called motors. /pedantic

engine

noun en?gine \?en-j?n\

: a machine that changes energy (such as heat from burning fuel) into mechanical motion

I am derailing this thread, but whatever:

In Portuguese, we call all those "motores", one word for either "engine" or "motor".
Why English has both? What would be the difference?
Honest question.

you don't need motion for it to be labelled an engine!

an engine is anything that takes something as input, and give something else as output.

google is also a (search)engine, takes words as input, gives URL as output
every converter is an engine
but it's only when the engine is actually a motor, that you can use it to move stuff

every motor is an engine, but not every engine is a motor

Last edited:
:thumbsup:

I am derailing this thread, but whatever:

In Portuguese, we call all those "motores", one word for either "engine" or "motor".
Why English has both? What would be the difference?
Honest question.
Weird, normally when English has two words for something it's because of the mixed Latin/Germanic heritage of the language, but according to etymonline.com both have Latin roots.

Ford Flatheads and Lister Diesels.

Honda make indestructable V-tec, but engines can still last "usual" amount of miles for japanese average.

Volvo PRV straight fours aren't so much millionaires, but they're simple to reassemble and pretty cheap to run.

Soviet engines are ripoff crap. They're badly copied, heavily built and usually full of bags. Russian engine is like a living organism - even when everything is in order, it can have it's own mind "to start or not to start".

Was just coming to post that. Specifically the 1UZ-FE. Special mention also goes to the 2JZ-GE and the 2L diesel.

Seconded that. I had a chance to compare Hi-ace diesel with Frontera, and i must say, Yotta's N/A 2.5 tractor has more torque than GME 2.3 ecoboost sewing machine. And mind that it has mechanical pump too, it's a win-win in reliability for day to day car.

Weird, normally when English has two words for something it's because of the mixed Latin/Germanic heritage of the language, but according to etymonline.com both have Latin roots.

?Motor? is rooted in the Classical Latin movere, ?to move.?
?Engine? is from the Latin ingenium: character, mental powers, talent, intellect, or cleverness.

Yeh, basically THIS is a motor
0000450_hga-series-electric-motor.jpeg

And THAT's the engine
honda-vtec-engines-explained-64368_4.jpg

Post-Renix, pre-1999 AMC/Jeep 4.0L, thing will last forever even if everything around it falls to bits.

Cummins 5.9L 12V (6BT), also the smaller 4BT.

Also a vote for the Chrysler 318cid (5.2L) Magnum-era V8. Super low-stress, didn't make enough power to hurt itself.

Last edited:
Also a vote for the Chrysler 318cid (5.2L) Magnum-era V8. Super low-stress, didn't make enough power to hurt itself.

Correction, doesn't need enough power to hurt itself. Same about 360cui, the thing brings 2 tonns of steel up to 60 in 6 seconds, revving lazy to 4500 tops. THAT's the power of torque.:cool:

So why isn't that thing called an enginecycle?

Because when they invented the thing, it hadn't been powered by most brilliant tech in the world. :p
Field%201.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the Oxford English Dictionary On-line, it seems the terms have had the same meanings in regards to moving machinery for centuries.

Anyhow, this is the best use of the word engine.

1677 T. D'Urfey Madam Fickle v. 54 And I shall make a private Room in your Guts for this Engine here [sc. a rapier].

- - - Updated - - -

So why isn't that thing called an enginecycle?

Here is the earliest reference in the OED.

1894 Atlanta Constitution 17 June 23 Some inventive genius with more activity in his brain than in his legs, has devised a cycle which appears to meet the utmost requirements of pure laziness. It is called the motor cycle and the propelling power is produced by coal oil.

There is no consistent or officially agreed upon standard on the use of the words engine and motor, and it is unlikely you'll find anyone in a position to actually change that to give rat's arse, so the whole debate is pointless.

As for my contribution to the ur-topic, the BMW M10, after the apocalypse there'll be just those and cockroaches still running.

Volvo PRV straight fours aren't so much millionaires, but they're simple to reassemble and pretty cheap to run.

Which one?
1. Volvo PRV is the V6
2. Volvo straight four is the redblock B21/B23.

Which one?
1. Volvo PRV is the V6
2. Volvo straight four is the redblock B21/B23.

and the PRV V6 is best used as boat anchors. :p

As for my suggestion for engine, i don't know what it's called, but whetever the Peugeot 505 has, they seem to go past 1 million kilometers almost regularly.
and the B18/B20 from Volvo, the record for longest distance was held by a Volvo P1800 for a while, don't know if it still does.

I second the 1HZ above, and add the Nissan TD42. Together the 1HZ and TD42 are the Japanese big diesels that last forever, I regularly see them for sale with upwards of 600,000km on the clock.

A bit out of left field but even the Ford Falcon's 4 litre straight six, since taxis get to millionaire kilometreage (granted probably gone through an engine by then) with hardly any servicing and being driven ruthlessly by a man named Ahmed.

Last edited: