What is the point of a 2 door SUV?

Still seats 3 people. 1 driver and a lot of pizzas could fit inside just fine. And it looks like they have plenty of delivery guys/girls, so I doubt any one of them will have to deliver a thousand pies in one run.

Let's pray he never has to brake, see James and his curry on the passenger seat.

Also, I could now make a jab at stereotypical American eating habits concerning the thousand pies per run, but I think I'd leave it be this time :tease:

Well, if you are going to go that far, who needs a slow, wasteful and unnecessary car to deliver pizza?

pizza-hut-delivery-b_800x0w.jpg

S10s were cheaper and sturdier than any equivalent econobox. Got about equivalent gas mileage too, if you got them with the four banger.

Sturdier, idunno.

Cheaper? :no: The currently cheapest Chevy pickup starts from 17k, to deliver pizzas a 12k Aveo would suffice. That's not cheaper, that's about 50% more expensive.

Less gas? :no: The pickup mentioned above does 18mpg city, the aveo does 27mpg city. That's not exactly "about equivalent" by any standard, that's 50% more mpg.

The scooter is a decent idea, some deliveries around here use them. Also solves the parking issue, just stop right in front of the house/shop. Those who use cars use VW Foxes, Hyundai i10s, etc. - more than enough car.

Let's pray he never has to brake, see James and his curry on the passenger seat.

Also, I could now make a jab at stereotypical American eating habits concerning the thousand pies per run, but I think I'd leave it be this time :tease:
Do econobox cars have special pizza box tie downs or something? I don't see what difference it makes if the pizzas are on the seat of a truck or the seat of a car, or in the foot well of either. I wouldn't trust a pizza sliding around in the trunk of my car...

And you were the one talking about not being able to fit pizzas inside a single cap truck. :dunno:

Do econobox cars have special pizza box tie downs or something? I don't see what difference it makes if the pizzas are on the seat of a truck or the seat of a car, or in the foot well of either. I wouldn't trust a pizza sliding around in the trunk of my car...

And you were the one talking about not being able to fit pizzas inside a single cap truck. :dunno:

Put them flat into the trunk. They may slide around, yes. They won't topple over though. If they are put onto a seat any braking will make them slide forwards and topple, resulting in a messy pizza. Sliding around flat in the trunk won't mess up the pizza.

Maybe he got them on a government auction, they were probably used as public works vehicles and then sold off as surplus, im sure that would be cheaper initially than a new econobox :p

Sturdier, idunno.

Yes, they were. They had a lower TCO, their parts cost less and they required less maintenance than most of contemporary econoboxes. Auto parts stores loved them because they were cheap to buy, cheap to own and cheap to run. NAPA still has a huge fleet of the things.

Cheaper? :no: The currently cheapest Chevy pickup starts from 17k, to deliver pizzas a 12k Aveo would suffice. That's not cheaper, that's about 50% more expensive.

S10s haven't been sold in a long time. When they were, they could be had in fleet configurations for under $8K. This was when the cheapest car you could buy from Chevrolet was the $9K Cavalier, which shortly thereafter was used for 'buy one get one free' promotions. The Cavalier was notable for being cheaper than the competition, to give you an idea, because like the S10 all the tooling and such had been paid off long ago.

So, no, they were cheaper. The replacement Colorado/Canyon twins are an attempt to go upmarket with their truck to match what Toyota and everyone else has done and it's been a pretty big failure.

Less gas? :no: The pickup mentioned above does 18mpg city, the aveo does 27mpg city. That's not exactly "about equivalent" by any standard, that's 50% more mpg.

At the time, the Aveo wasn't offered, the then-just-discontinued Geo Metro got better MPG but broke more often (what good is a car that gets 30+mpg in the city but needs a new transmission on a yearly basis and a front suspension overhaul every month?), and in fleet config and service an S10 4 banger with the 'economy' rear end would break 21mpg. The Cavalier was about the same (same engine).

The scooter is a decent idea, some deliveries around here use them. Also solves the parking issue, just stop right in front of the house/shop. Those who use cars use VW Foxes, Hyundai i10s, etc. - more than enough car.

Nobody's saying you need a truck to deliver your normal sized pizzas on a regular run. It's just that for a business, sometimes they do/did make more economic sense.

Put them flat into the trunk. They may slide around, yes. They won't topple over though. If they are put onto a seat any braking will make them slide forwards and topple, resulting in a messy pizza. Sliding around flat in the trunk won't mess up the pizza.

You clearly have never had a job delivering food. They DO flip up if put in the trunk. Trust me on this.

And unlike the cab, there's no belts you can attach the tie downs on the pizza box carrier bag to in the trunk.

Last edited:

I don't know. Whenever I order a pizza, I have to go pick it up, since my favorite place doesn't deliver to my area. I made the mistake of putting it in my trunk once, never again. Of course, my car has one of those plastic tray things in the trunk and I don't keep anything back there, so it's always empty. The result is anything I put in there slides all over and smacks into the sides of the trunk. I always use my passenger footwell now. Groceries, pizzas, chinese takeout, whatever. Even stuff I put on the passenger or rear seats stay put.

Nobody's saying you need a truck to deliver your normal sized pizzas on a regular run.

That's exactly what the post bringing up the pizza pickup said.

They DO flip up if put in the trunk. Trust me on this.

Any messed up pizzas I've gotten were stored on the seats. Trust me on this.

And unlike the cab, there's no belts you can attach the tie downs on the pizza box carrier bag to in the trunk.

My trunk has points to attach tie downs to.

Also, to give you an idea of the difference between fleet and retail pricing, a 2007 (last year you could get it) Crown Victoria civilian model started at $27,615. The base 'fleet' version, not the police model, but the one used for taxis and such - $24,810, but quantity discounts were offered. If you bought 10, it was only $22,000 a copy. A not insignificant difference in price.

That's exactly what the post bringing up the pizza pickup said.

You need them if you have abusive drivers, just to avoid large maintenance bills. In terms of space, no, not for normal sized pizzas.

Let's say you have the usual cretinous teen or college student driver and they bang their vehicles into curbs. The Aveo's control arm is apparently made of cheese because it bends really easily. The S10's will probably survive years of getting bashed into curbs. How do I know? Because the auto parts shop down the road from me tried replacing their S10s with Aveos and it's increased their overall costs!

Any messed up pizzas I've gotten were stored on the seats. Trust me on this.

Only because they won't fit in the trunks of those tiny-assed cars you use over there. :p

My trunk has points to attach tie downs to.

None of my Euro or American cars do. Nothing that could be used with the stock setup on a pizza bag, anyway. The E46 that was recently in the Volcano didn't have any either.

Last edited:
Only because they won't fit in the trunks of those tiny-assed cars you use over there. :p

They fit into the trunk of a VW Fox or Hyundai i10 just fine. Can't go much smaller (no, I have not had a Smart ForTwo deliver pizzas to me yet).

None of my Euro or American cars do. Nothing that could be used with the stock setup on a pizza bag, anyway. The E46 that was recently in the Volcano didn't have any either.

If pizzas toppling over in the trunk are such a big issue for you, and your tie points don't fit the pizza bag, you could just install an elastic net to shove the bag under.
It's not just the Octavia that comes with tie points, the Astra also has them as standard. Optionally you could have rails as well, to move tie points whereever you need them to fit your pizza bag. Alternatively, just avoid going over speed bumps at 100 to avoid pizzas sitting flat in the trunk toppling over.

So, let me get this straight. You are saying that any pizza carried in the front seat of a vehicle must inevitably tip over into the footwell and ruin the pizza, yes?

Want to put some money on it? Say, the price of a pizza delivered to my house?

Edit: I will further stipulate that the roads around my home are not in the greatest shape and that you could use some of them for a suspension testing track (and sometimes I do.) They are bumpy, potholed and quite uneven. This is verifiable by both CrazyJeeper and Der Stig - so if it's going to get upset or mangled by road conditions, it will happen around here.

Last edited:
So, let me get this straight. You are saying that any pizza carried in the front seat of a vehicle must inevitably tip over into the footwell and ruin the pizza, yes?

No. I don't think I've said that in any post.

I did say any toppled over pizza that I have recieved was stored on seats, and that no trunk-stored pizza ever toppled. Many seat-stored pizzas arrived intact, all trunk-stored pizzas arrived intact.
To put it into expression logic based on my experience: "pizza toppled over" ==> "pizza stored on seats". "pizza stored in trunk" ==> "pizza is fine".
From those two statements you can not deduce that "pizza is fine" ==> "pizza stored in trunk", and you can not deduce that "pizza stored on seat" ==> "pizza toppled over".

Correlation is not causation, though. So just because all the ruined ones you received were seat-carried, it does not follow that seat carried = ruined pizza, which is what you've at the very least implied.

I didn't imply that, you interpreted it with a lack of understanding about logic. When I say "every time it rains, I get wet" you can't say that I implied "every time I get wet, it rains". I might have taken a shower, for example - me wet, but no rain.

Same thing with the pizzas. "Every time I get a ruined pizza, it was carried on the seat" does not imply "every time a pizza is carried on the seat, it gets ruined".

Well what about the fact that for fleets (say, for NGOs), two doors is cheaper and easier to maintain. less parts means less to go wrong and less to buy.

BTW I'm thinking of this rad vehicle right now:

1289180142_4d4c00309f.jpg

Yup, really. You can deliver a pizza without any meaningful braking.

No, you stated ANY braking. And in America, where we have few roundabouts, you're going to be braking.

I am about to order a pizza, which shall be delivered in the front seat of a car over potholed roads and I am certain they will have to brake for at least one of the 'traffic calming' lights between here and there.

By your own statement, it should arrive messed up. Shall we see?

Only because they won't fit in the trunks of those tiny-assed cars you use over there.

Really?

Really?

Two can play the game of bitching about the literal meaning of otherwise perfectly clear statements.

Also, instruct your delivery driver to do an emergency stop from 60mph with the pizzas on a seat.

Last edited: