What Kind Of Engine Does Your Car Have?

What Kind Of Engine Does Your Car Have?

• Total voters
Nissan's (in)famous RB :rolleyes: Iron block, crossflow alloy head inline 6, of factory 3 litres with a twincamshaft head grafted on......try finding that ouside Australia! (and please don't be like the Last American I told this to who was adament a 3 Litre RB didn't exist because it wasn't in his Japanese tuner Magazine......)

Oh and its in a car built by GM....

I belive the other problem with the Inline 6 is they produce more countertorque. I'm a little hazy on the physics there.....and the obvious reason that a V6 is always going to be lighter, stiffer and more compact. While I love my (I6) RB30 engine the sad fact is that it is a very heavy, overweight motor with poor weight distribution. The motor that replaced it in the next model Holden Commodore (An Australian built GM 3800 motor) killed it in packaging terms....

The motor that replaced it in the next model Holden Commodore (An Australian built GM 3800 motor) killed it in packaging terms....

Are you sure about it being built in Australia? Far as I know (aka acording to Wikipedia) the engine is only produced in Flint Michigan.

Are you sure about it being built in Australia? Far as I know (aka acording to Wikipedia) the engine is only produced in Flint Michigan.

Now. They used it for quite a while in Australia, after Holden retired their Inline-6 and stopped buying engines from Nissan. Holden now uses the "Alloytech" v6. Which is basically the same V6 engine Cadillac uses.

I am quite surprised to see the amount of the little four-bangers here, I would have thought V6's would be more popular....

That assumption that all American's drive gas guzzling SUV's and pick-ups is obviously BS. If this were true, GM/Ford/Chrysler wouldn't be getting their asses kicked by Toyota or the rest of the Japanese.

Last edited:
2.2 L Ecotec. 140 HP & 150 lb-ft of torque.

The Alero had a 4 banger? I thought those had the "shortstar" v6 based on a northstar v8.

The Alero after 2002 had either the 2.2 ecotec four cylinder or the 3400 V6, which is a WAAAAY distant cousin of the GM's first 60 degree V6, the 2.8. Also, Mischief007, awesome guy he is, got the Alero with a five speed manual. The V6 never would have that option, which everyone knows is beyond stupid on the part of GM. :mad:

Well, thanks jayhawk :).

Yeah, I have the F23 Getrag 5-speed manual in the car as well. Definitely a good thing since the auto would just plain suck with this combination.

To top it off, I have a GL2 Alero which are rare with the options.

Last edited:

Built at Holdens fishermans bend plant :) They don't make the old pushrod motor there anymore, As of 2004 they only make the new quadcam Alloytech motor......and the blocks and cranks are sold to Alfa Romeo as the basis for their V6....

Out of curiosity, what series was it and was it a supercharged version?

Built at Holdens fishermans bend plant :) They don't make the old pushrod motor there anymore, As of 2004 they only make the new quadcam Alloytech motor......and the blocks and cranks are sold to Alfa Romeo as the basis for their V6....

And Saab. The 2.8L engine I believe.

That assumption that all American's drive gas guzzling SUV's and pick-ups is obviously BS. If this were true, GM/Ford/Chrysler wouldn't be getting their asses kicked by Toyota or the rest of the Japanese.

Well, I was expecting there would be more mid/full size cars with v6, instead of SUVs

I'm pulling this out of my ass, but based on vintage, mostly series 2's, with probably a few series 3's. If I'm not mistaken though GM made the series 2 and 3 at the same time, so that assumption may not work out.

2jz-gte

There was a supercharged version of the 3800 v6 which made it into the HSV XU6 and was an option on several Holden models, Berlina and Calias i think.