What Kind Of Engine Does Your Car Have?

What Kind Of Engine Does Your Car Have?

• Total voters
Like any other engine, with pistons, rods, crank, fuel, and air. Cast it with 3 cylinders on 1 side and 2 on the other. The VW version is their VR6 engine with 1 less cylinder, very close to an inline engine.

Honda has made (rather successful) race bikes with true V5's. It more than likely has weird balance issues but there is no real reason a v5 couldn't work.

The balance is the question. Honda mentioned something about "big bang" I believe just after they released the info and made me think that the rear 2 cyls could be larger than the front 3, each bank firing together much like a V-twin. When I saw the engine in the bike the design made sense, the rear 2 cyls fit snugly in the frame and the front 3 spread wider, making use of the extra space. I havent read anything since, so thats just a theory.

Ducati also used a "big bang" design. The riders said the power delivery was more controllable.

I just now realised the option for rotary was "Pistonless Rotary"...I thought it said "Pointless Rotary"...

The balance is the question. Honda mentioned something about "big bang" I believe just after they released the info and made me think that the rear 2 cyls could be larger than the front 3, each bank firing together much like a V-twin. When I saw the engine in the bike the design made sense, the rear 2 cyls fit snugly in the frame and the front 3 spread wider, making use of the extra space. I havent read anything since, so thats just a theory.

Ducati also used a "big bang" design. The riders said the power delivery was more controllable.

I've been trying to find info on these 5 bangers, with very little luck. I first heard about it and I thought "wtf, that can't be right"

I just now realised the option for rotary was "Pistonless Rotary"...I thought it said "Pointless Rotary"...

i'm affraid i have to join your club, i also read pointless

One pushrod V8 (5.7L, ~370 hp, 390 tq)
One SOHC V6 (3.7L, ~210 hp, 235 tq)
One turbo inline-4 (2.5L, ~320 hp, 330 tq)

Last edited:
I-5 turbo for me, but also in the house hold, 3.0 I-6 (RB30) and 1.3 I-4...

had a flat4 turbo, and a wankle... both very nice

I-4 for now, but I miss my V8s :( .

we have
3.0L Diesel 96kw (Toyota Prado)
1.8 Inline 4 110kw (Honda Integra)
2.0L Inline 4 110kw (BMW 320i)
3.8L V6 153kw (Holden Commodore)

and in the US
3.0L TT 225kw (bmw 335i sedan)

Out of curiosity, what series was it and was it a supercharged version?

O.K I'll run it on dates:

1988-1994 (VN-VR Commodore) Early type motors. However Holden/GM did quite a bit of work modding the engine for use in a RWD platform. This included things like the intake manifold with the thermostat houseing and exhaust manifolds. Several incarnations of the exhaust systems before a acceptable solution was found.

In this period there where quite a few mods done to the motor, regarding crankshaft seals and balance shaft problems. Also was the problem with converting the motor to accept a manual gearbox, the early VN Commodore (1988-1990) needed a totally diffrent crankshaft to be adapted to the Borg Warner T5 gearbox.

Australian motors did not have EGR (Exhaust gas recirc) systems, and ran a Delco 808 EFI computer, which is totally diffent to the US systems.

1995-2003 (VS-VY Commodore)Later type motors. Included the Supercharged engine. Major changes to pistons and bottom end. Less internal friction and reciplocating mass. Supercharged engine a option. Changes again done to the engine to make it suitable for RWD. Major changes to the heads in regards to porting.

Final changes in regards to engine mounts made the motor seem very smooth and with the very very advanced GM EFI and transmission computers (which put do and still the later Nissan ECCS and transmission computers to shame) made this engine wonderfully refined and fuel efficient. Good use of the torque converter lockup saved a hell of a lot of juice on cruise.

All Australian built motors ran cable throttles.

O.K I'll run it on dates:

1988-1994 (VN-VR Commodore) Early type motors. However Holden/GM did quite a bit of work modding the engine for use in a RWD platform. This included things like the intake manifold with the thermostat houseing and exhaust manifolds. Several incarnations of the exhaust systems before a acceptable solution was found.

In this period there where quite a few mods done to the motor, regarding crankshaft seals and balance shaft problems. Also was the problem with converting the motor to accept a manual gearbox, the early VN Commodore (1988-1990) needed a totally diffrent crankshaft to be adapted to the Borg Warner T5 gearbox.

Oh you lucky bastards. That engine was NEVER tied to a manual transmission in the US worth bothering with.

The thing I find odd is, you mentioned converting it to RWD. The engine spent as much of it's life in RWD platforms as FWD, it was designed for 60's buick's, even shares parts with the Rover/Buick 215 V8. The much regarded Buick Grand National was killed because of GM's change from FWD to RWD with that body style.

I'm curious if the cylinder heads on the Aussie engines are any better (or worse) than the US versions.

Last edited:
The much regarded Buick Grand National was killed because of GM's change from FWD to RWD with that body style.

I think you got your WD's mixed up. :D The GN was killed because they went to FWD, not from it.