What Kind Of Engine Does Your Car Have?

What Kind Of Engine Does Your Car Have?

• Total voters
1.8 Liter ~155HP I-4 (Acura Integra)
2.4 Liter 155HP I-4 (Nissan Altima)
2.5 Liter 165HP V-6 (Ford Probe)
3.3 Liter 230 HP V-6 (Toyota Sienna)

3 people with W16's? we have some veyron owners amongst us?

The V5 is a bit more rare, apparently it's some VW odd job:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V5_engine

But for the V4 I could have instantly named the old Saab 96. Seems that it was used in a number of other cars as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V4_engine

i dont understand why the V4 never caught on much. i mean you keep 4 cylinders and you get the added smoothness of having a V.

The V5 is just a very narrow angle V (15 degrees IIRC). So it still looks like an in-line

3.0L V6 for me.

its not a V in the traditional sense no. the cylinders share the same bank, theyre just staggered, so your 15 deg angle is probably around the right mark, it'll look like an I5 until you look closely. apparently this engine was derived from the previous VR6, by lopping a cylinder off....but it seems there was alot more too it than that.

Advantage of an I6 is the smoothness, it has a perfect balance. Thus more revs can be used. V6 on the other hand is lot shorter and more compact, which is why it's popular on cheaper and lower powered cars.

im not so sure about I6 in perfect balance. i dont think any I engines are in perfect balance just because of the way they work. you can get smoothness from the firing order, but the pistons are all going up n down in the same plane, the crank is obviously balanced but itll gradually go out of balance over time because all the force is acting down ward an only the bearings on the crank can oppose it. in a V and boxers you at least have the pistons directing more of their force at each other, balancing each other out.

Last edited:
I voted other for my Subaru, which has a transverse-mounted two-cylinder, two-stroke 356cc engine.

The van, on the other hand, has a Subaru Legacy 2.2 litre boxer-4. :mrgreen:

alrite, someone voted for the I-3...who has the hyundai accent 3cyl diesel:p

my engines are a toyota 3.0L V6 from a 2000 sienna, awsum engine,smooth,good power delivery, sounds great after 4K...other is a chrysler 3.3 V6 in a plymouth voyager...its horrible

Integra engine = noisy
Commodore engine = quite
Prado engine = bloody noisy
BMW engine = average

3 people with W16's? we have some veyron owners amongst us?

No just a couple of goobers trying to be funny/original (don vito, HOKUM, triumph) because they don't actually have cars :p

I'm curious about mrshoaib's Golf and pfrocker's Corolla which both seem to have V-4s in them...

Oh you lucky bastards. That engine was NEVER tied to a manual transmission in the US worth bothering with.

The thing I find odd is, you mentioned converting it to RWD. The engine spent as much of it's life in RWD platforms as FWD, it was designed for 60's buick's, even shares parts with the Rover/Buick 215 V8. The much regarded Buick Grand National was killed because of GM's change from FWD to RWD with that body style.

I'm curious if the cylinder heads on the Aussie engines are any better (or worse) than the US versions.

Later engines did have better heads, also remember we have emmisions laws that are not as bad (for want of a better term!) here. The early heads had some terrible inlet porting, but the later ones they got on track a little.

I do know that early V6's had US sourced heads, and the later ones had much better locally produced ones....I think this was to do with port maching on the exhaust side for the diffrent RWD manifolds used here.

It was 1988 before Australia (Holden) got their hands on the V6 so I guess by that time it had been used in FWD cars for a while.....locations of things like the thermostat housing give the game away.

But I'll tell you from experience, the old 3.8 Litre V6 with a 5 speed gearbox in RWD form (VN Commodore) really is a interesting beast to drive. :p While I won't say its as "fun" the Nissan RB30E + 5 speed found in the VL Commodore/Aussie made R31 Skyline (Discounting the RB30ET in the VL Turbo for the moment) due to a much lower rev limit and a horrid sound it does have its attractions such as the mountain of torque just off idle and power oversteer on demand on corner exits! 8) 8)

Also compareing the MF5 (Nissan FS5W71C mid range gear version) gearbox to the Borg Warner T5 the japanese gearbox feels much nicer. Nice and clicky. This is again ignoring the MX7 (Nissan FW5) in the VL Turbo.

Most people here where more interested in screwing power out of Holdens Australian V8, compared to the V6 (Till Holden went to the Gen 3...) so there isn't too much out there, still the local guys have supercharger setups galore and the like. Alot of "hot" bits come from the US.

The manual transmission was the Borg Warner T-5, same as some Aston martins, Ford Falcons etc etc (millions of other things I bet!)

Just boring 2,2 liter I4 with 150 hp.

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party.

Just registererd YAIF. 1.8 liter, supercharged.

It would also be interesteing to se the ratio of NA, SC and Turbo engines.

Oh, and mighty impressive with no less than three Bugati Veyron owners on the board :shock:

DJ
--

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party.

Just registererd YAIF. 1.8 liter, supercharged.

It would also be interesteing to se the ratio of NA, SC and Turbo engines.

Oh, and mighty impressive with no less than three Bugati Veyron owners on the board :shock:

DJ
--

Sorry to dissappoint mate, but we only have 0 bugatti owners. However we have no less than 3 "funny" guys.

I believe the Lancia Fulvia had a V4
My 1968 Ford Transit had one. That engine was used in several Ford models :)

YF19pilot: I see, too bad then. Been tricked into contributing to faux statistics... IMNSHO das ist not der h?mor.

DJ
--

Last edited: