What makes you go for a drive ?

I've been trying to think of what exactly attracts me to race driving (I don't really go for drives just for the hell of it on the street, since I don't have a fun car at all). So far I have utterly failed. I flirted with some form of semi-poetic description of G forces, but I scrapped that.

I'm fairly sure it has a lot to do with slip angle.

Quiet road, some V Power and some dam good tunes. Occasionally a KFC after as a reward

Like many in this thread, I like to drive when I feel that sense of adventure creep up on me. If I finish work or school early, and the sun is out, I just can't help but turn left when my rout home would normally require a right. From there on, who knows. The GPS goes in the glove box and I take the roads I've not yet driven.

One time, on the way home from the mall, I went the wrong way by complete accident. When I realized this, I ended up thinking, "Screw it, you've never been this way before." 40 Minutes later I was at a gas station across the road from a rural(ish) drag strip, and though I'm not really a fan of that sort of thing, it was great to slurp down a Coke and watch the various kinds of competitor cars roll in and out (I couldn't see the actual strip from the gas station).

I'm also in the no A/C group--I much prefer to feel the wind, and hear the car in a way that only works with all the windows down, even on the highway (unless it's a really long trip).

The other must is trees. Or corn fields. Or something that isn't that omnipresent background of melancholy concrete and outdated buildings right around my neighborhood. Usually this means areas in and around parks/nature preserves, or out in the more farm-ey parts.

In addition to all the above stated reasons...
  • To piss off the eco-mentalists who say it's "harmful" to the environment just to enjoy something you love.
  • To get away from the phone/email/etc., as I have a perfectly valid and excusable reason not to do any of that in the car.

Sadly the price of petrol took it's toll. I have to cut down on my driving...

Though I am looking for some time now at the diesel VW Lupo, which promises 50 mpg(4l/100km). But I fear it will dampen the raw essence of the driving pleasure, being a diesel and all.

Sadly the price of petrol took it's toll. I have to cut down on my driving...

Though I am looking for some time now at the diesel VW Lupo, which promises 50 mpg(4l/100km). But I fear it will dampen the raw essence of the driving pleasure, being a diesel and all.

Try the new Polo 1.6diesel 105hp, if they sell it in your country, that should be decent fun and cheap on fuel. But it's new, so expensive to buy.

Changed a turn signal bulb today. Took a twenty-five mile test drive.

Women.

Scrolling by one of my posts on this forum usually does it, I see the pic of my car in my AV and think "oh yeah, it's begging for a beating." Oddly, it's the same thing I think when I see a woman not in the damn kitchen! :tease:

16hlxlh.jpg

Yeah, I know what you mean.

3.jpeg

Same here.

I go for a drive when I want to clear my head, and chiefly because of the sheer joy of driving. The sound of the whistling intake, feeling the car lean and settle into a turn, feeling the road through the steering wheel, nailing a downshift, the roar of the engine as it gets on cam...

I drive for a lot of reasons, but mostly because it's about the only place I can always be happy.

Just went out for a short drive - Google Maps said 45min, I did it in 30; kept a decent average cruising speed, nothing outrageous. Basically I just looped around on some of my favorite local backroads. Saw maybe five cars once I got off campus territory; had a rabbit dash across the road about 100 yards in front of the car; roads were covered in leaves and branches in many places (big reason why I took it easy). Came back as happy as a clam!

My petrol gauge indicates that I have petrol in the car!

My car is my little shell, my place to think. So if there's nothing better to do, I'll usually disappear for a quick blast into the hills and return completely regenerated. I also completely perscribe to what James May said about driving through the countryside back in season 3 - the countryside presented to you in perfect windscreen format, to enjoy as go from bend to bend. I love exploring through places and finding new things. I just need to save up enough money and just drive around the country for a while!