What manufacturers refuse to give Top Gear their cars to review?

I'm a classic car enthusiast and I thought Bristol had gone bust... Until I heard about them going bust... :lol:
I bet 90% of the country don't even know Bristol ever existed, let alone that is was in operation fairly recently!
A lot of people I know have essentially been taught if its not from Germany or Japan its not worth having, being proud of Britain or anything it has ever achieved is almost taboo now-a-days.

Most car people would only know Saleen as a tuner of Mustangs anyway, and most people here go German or Japanese by default, so you're exactly on the dot about what Saleen is here, a local niche within a local niche.

Sorry, but that's all the way up there with the "FIATs are French" audience member they had on long ago.

LMAO, i cant tell you how often i remember that moment when i hear the name Fiat!

I can only hope you are being sarcastic there...

im not, think about it. How many people do you know that DONT watch this show? Was tesla worried because some stupid little car show from UKnia was poking fun at them? no, they were freaking out because they know the impact that these guys can have. Face it, its true and if you dont believe it then please see the "what manufacturers refuse to give top gear their cars to review thread, it may help some.

the hated truth is, this show has a big impact.

Most car people would only know Saleen as a tuner of Mustangs anyway, and most people here go German or Japanese by default, so you're exactly on the dot about what Saleen is here, a local niche within a local niche.

Most car people know what an S7 is. One of the reasons I went to see Bruce Almighty in the theater was because an S7 was in it. It's a rare car. I've seen many rare cars in person, but never an S7.

The S7 was really a very intriguing supercar when it came out, though it was not without its problems.

Most car people know what an S7 is. One of the reasons I went to see Bruce Almighty in the theater was because an S7 was in it. It's a rare car. I've seen many rare cars in person, but never an S7.

The S7 was really a very intriguing supercar when it came out, though it was not without its problems.

Yes but you are in the US (right?)....I used an S7 as an avatar a million years ago on a Belgian (not realy car related) board, everyone, and I mean everyone asked me what it was, including the 'car people' on that board, infact I can't remember ever seeing it featured in any news media here.

im not, think about it. How many people do you know that DONT watch this show? Was tesla worried because some stupid little car show from UKnia was poking fun at them? no, they were freaking out because they know the impact that these guys can have. Face it, its true and if you dont believe it then please see the "what manufacturers refuse to give top gear their cars to review thread, it may help some.

the hated truth is, this show has a big impact.

I don't dispute that Top Gear does have a large impact in the world of motoring, but you make it out to be a good thing, which it isn't.

Top Gear is an entertainment show, not a car review show, too many people still see it as a car review show when really they shouldn't. At the end of the day if you want to know what sort of car you should buy you should be watching stuffy old men doing a slalom run and comparing mpg figures.

Using TG as a legitimate source of advice is like watching Mr Bean as a study in to the life of the average Brit. Top Gear is more fiction than reality, that shouldn't be the basis for consumer advice.

Really? Do you really think that the S7 is significant enough for a (British) motoring (*cough*) program, that airs for less than 0.13% of the year, to give it any attention at all?

Really? Do you really think that the S7 is significant enough for a (British) motoring (*cough*) program, that airs for less than 0.13% of the year, to give it any attention at all?

It really was at one point, especially because of its UKanian origins. I think that it is now really beyond a date when it would be able to compete on the lap board or that anyone would care to see it. Past its expiration date, so to say.

Yes but you are in the US (right?)....I used an S7 as an avatar a million years ago on a Belgian (not realy car related) board, everyone, and I mean everyone asked me what it was, including the 'car people' on that board, infact I can't remember ever seeing it featured in any news media here.

Okay, it was in all of the US car mags, and I'm not a you'reapeein, so I'll give you that one.

I don't dispute that Top Gear does have a large impact in the world of motoring, but you make it out to be a good thing, which it isn't.

i really think it is a good thing, how much have you learned from them? yes you have to pick through the guys fucking about but the bottom line, what they are good at, is teaching you shit without you knowing you've learned something. they talk to you like a human and not like a consumer. The way i see it is if you and your friend went to look at cars and you test drove them this is how you would talk to eachother.

Top Gear is an entertainment show, not a car review show, too many people still see it as a car review show when really they shouldn't. At the end of the day if you want to know what sort of car you should buy you should be watching stuffy old men doing a slalom run and comparing mpg figures.

again, i strongly disagree. also, remember that not everyone are gear/petrol heads like most of us in here, they DO get thier info from Jezza and the boys. its just a fact. they just dont know what is true and what isnt.

Using TG as a legitimate source of advice is like watching Mr Bean as a study in to the life of the average Brit. Top Gear is more fiction than reality, that shouldn't be the basis for consumer advice.

there is good consumer advice in almost every show, its usually mixed in with fun.

back to the original topic, has TG even attempted to test the SSC Ultimate Aero? They mentioned it on the news and before May's Veyron SS top speed run

They had it in the magazine iirc, but then again, a car so ugly might just destroy the average TV. And it is nothing special tbh, just a stupidly large engine strapped to an ugly plastic body, none of the refinement of a Zonda, Koenigsegg, Veyron or even a 9FF Porsche...

back to the original topic, has TG even attempted to test the SSC Ultimate Aero? They mentioned it on the news and before May's Veyron SS top speed run

i doubt you will ever see this car on the show or any of the spinoffs for that matter.

I'd go as far as saying that Top Gear is no longer a car show, nor an entertainment show, but a comedy show. And I'm quite happy to watch it.

again, i strongly disagree. also, remember that not everyone are gear/petrol heads like most of us in here, they DO get thier info from Jezza and the boys. its just a fact. they just dont know what is true and what isnt.

True. I'll be talking about a new car, or something new coming down the line at work, and if it's a brand not well known in the States, a lot of times I get blank looks.

More and more though, I'll get the "Oh yeah, I saw that one on that Top Gear show..."

True. I'll be talking about a new car, or something new coming down the line at work, and if it's a brand not well known in the States, a lot of times I get blank looks.

More and more though, I'll get the "Oh yeah, I saw that one on that Top Gear show..."

and thats exactly my point.

i doubt you will ever see this car on the show or any of the spinoffs for that matter.

why is that?

I mean it would do wonders for their sales and reputation.

I mean it would do wonders for their sales and reputation.

You mean like Tesla is claiming happened when they loaned a couple of cars to TG?

You mean like Tesla is claiming happened when they loaned a couple of cars to TG?

yeah but the tesla fell far short of the numbers and capabilities tesla claimed. the review was never going to be good. also the aero burns petrol.

I mean all aero need to do is invite one of the hosts to come do a speed run. I personally think they are all guff.

Fiorano, you seem to be forgetting something: it's going to be Jezza who gets in an Aero. You know, the guy who keeps saying that all American cars are garbage (with the obvious exceptions of some Corvettes, Mustangs, and Vipers). He's also a mammoth Veyron fanboy, and the Aero's sole purpose is to take on the Veyron. SSC will be setting themselves up for a complete slam if they loan a car to TGUK. It just isn't worth it for them.

and he has made it clear from the first time the talked about it that he thinks its "gonna be rubbish". he is a hard headed man, if the thing even has a speck of paint out of place he will rip it apart. im 99% sure they dont want any part of the P.O.S.