What Models Don't Feel Like Their Brand?

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
For me, it's the Bentley Continental. It's too round where in my opinion, a Bentley should be like the Brooklands and later on, the Arnage. Square, stately, not trying to appeal to a younger crowd. The continental feels un-bentley. Or how about Ford's Ecosport? Does that feel like a Ford product or somebody elses?

What are models can you think of?

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
if anything it's the brooklands and arnage that are out of place
bentley has always been the sportier option besided roll royce
when rolls bought bentley in the 30s, they kept this image alive, but by the 70s they were basically a rebadged rolls, without any sporting image left

so they revived some sporting names to make up for it, but the continental is more bentley than the arnage has ever been

(does it show i watched best of british - bentley last week :D)

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
The Chevy Metro and Tracker - they were gray-market imports that Chevy had nothing to do with other than providing the bow-tie badge.
Chrysler Conquest - rebadged Mitsubishi Starion, didn't fit with the Chrysler line at all.

Most gray-market re-badged cars fit into this category, so I'm not going to list any more of them.

Lexus IS-F - Lexus was all about insulated driving and comfort, the IS-F was intended to go after the younger market that wants sports sedans like BMW 3-series. The IS-F came out prior to the LFA, so it was very much out of place in the lineup.

Toyota FT-86 and Supra - Toyota has been boring as hell for decades now, the Supra and FT-86 platform just seem so alien these days. I know they are collaborations with Subaru and BMW, but that doesn't change that the company that phoned in the interior design of the bucket of sadness that is a beige Corolla is still trying to make a proper sports car again. The Supra seems like it would be more at home with Mazda, who at least try to make the eco-boxes interesting.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
if anything it's the brooklands and arnage that are out of place
bentley has always been the sportier option besided roll royce
when rolls bought bentley in the 30s, they kept this image alive, but by the 70s they were basically a rebadged rolls, without any sporting image left

so they revived some sporting names to make up for it, but the continental is more bentley than the arnage has ever been

(does it show i watched best of british - bentley last week :D)
Wow, I had no idea. That’s cool!

I was wrong!

gt1750

Techno Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
2011 Alfa Romeo 159, 2005 Smart ForFour
"Fiat" Freemont, obviously...
And Lancia Voyager, the last Thema and the Chrysler Ypsilon :p

For me it's the Volkswagen Phaeton (and similar efforts from Hyundai etc.). Luxury car with a badge of a mass manufacturer? Yeah that's a recipe for success. Creating a sub-brand or purchasing a traditional brand in need of an investment is the better way to go.

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
VW Routan or whatever that re-badged Chrysler minivan was.

Mercury's '99-'02 Cougar

The Dodge Viper, considering the rest of their product line at the time. What was their next sportiest at the time? The Shadow?

Last edited:

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Toyota FT-86 and Supra - Toyota has been boring as hell for decades now, the Supra and FT-86 platform just seem so alien these days. I know they are collaborations with Subaru and BMW, but that doesn't change that the company that phoned in the interior design of the bucket of sadness that is a beige Corolla is still trying to make a proper sports car again. The Supra seems like it would be more at home with Mazda, who at least try to make the eco-boxes interesting.
In that same vein the BR-Z, a small RWD sport coupe is completely out of place for Subaru.

Also basically all Lincoln SUVs, I know that they been making the Navigator for decades now but I still think of Lincoln as big luxury sedans.
In similar vein the Bentayga, Cullinan and Urus.

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
The Opel Speedster ist pretty un-Opelish as it is mid-engined and rear wheel drive. I know way back in the days there were rear wheel driven Opels, but never a mid-engined one. Same goes for the Fiat X1/9, also a mid-engined, rear wheel drive car made by a mass manufacturer, and it even had popup headlights.

In the same breath you can name the Saab Sonett and the Volvo P1800, especially the P1800 ES, made by companies mainly known for their sensible family cars.

Then there's the NSU Ro 80 with a Wankel engine and very modern design, all other NSUs were small cars and the development of the car and the engine wasn't exactly cheap so consequently the company was bought by VAG.

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Also basically all Lincoln SUVs, I know that they been making the Navigator for decades now but I still think of Lincoln as big luxury sedans.
In similar vein the Bentayga, Cullinan and Urus.
To go along with that, but a step further: the Blackwood and Mark LT.

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
The golf mk I

If you see what came before, it didn't fit in at all :D

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Agree on the BMW 2-series, specifically the 240i. Quality isn't up to BMW standards and the whole experience feels too computerized and fake, right down to the fake exhaust pops.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Agree on the BMW 2-series, specifically the 240i. Quality isn't up to BMW standards and the whole experience feels too computerized and fake, right down to the fake exhaust pops.
Did you just put the words quality and BMW in the same sentence?

Mercedes A class, it's just not a benz...

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
I'm going to change the badging on my Nissan to be "Nissan Xterra-Class" with whatever number Merc throws on there.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
And Lancia Voyager, the last Thema and the Chrysler Ypsilon :p

For me it's the Volkswagen Phaeton (and similar efforts from Hyundai etc.). Luxury car with a badge of a mass manufacturer? Yeah that's a recipe for success. Creating a sub-brand or purchasing a traditional brand in need of an investment is the better way to go.
The Ford GT has been doing ok yet the Acura/Honda NSX hasn't.

Tram13

Car(s)
90% of the time I use public transport

This thing. Doesn't feel like a Lotus because it's FWD, doesn't feel like a Kia (especially of its time) because it's a sports car.