What TGUS Presenter to Drop? [Part 2]

What TGUS Presenter to Drop? [Part 2]

• Total voters
It would be nice if someone taught Adam how to drive off-road.

Why? Few people would watch 45 minutes of serious off road rock crawling, winching and recovery. This is Top Gear, not Off Road Magazine's guide to Death Valley.

I'm surprised to see people trashing Leno here. His website is free, and I'm sure run at a loss. It's basically for his own ego, as something to give back to the car guys. But then again, seeing that one of the people who doesn't like Leno, also didn't/doesn't know who Dan Neil is, tells me all I need to know about their level of knowledge as an American auto enthusiast. Jay's show is great for what it is, and I'm glad he's doing it.

Look carefully. Leno's website is owned by NBC. It has paid banner ads and commercials preceding every video. I'm sure this ego massage was part of Leno's contract with NBC.

Right, and if you think the amount of viewers justifies NBC's investement, or that they make money on the couple of thousand views that they do get, then more power to you. It is nothing more than an ego boosting exercise to appease Leno, and I for one am thankful for it.

Like I wrote, "'I'm sure this ego massage was part of Leno's contract with NBC."

Although I couldn't find the numbers for JaylenosGarage.com, the following makes me think they are slightly higher than 2,000:

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. ? August 9, 2011 ? For the first half of 2011, the NBC Network series online sites (which include NBC.com, LateNightWithJimmyFallon.com and JayLenosGarage.com) were first among unique visitors (8.726 million), total minutes (125 million) and page views (131 million) per comScore when compared to ABC.com, CBS.com and Fox Broadcasting (which includes AmericanIdol.com).Additionally, NBC.com was first among unique visitors (8.7 million), total minutes (130 million) and page views (145 million) during the the second quarter of 2011 (April-June 2011), per comScore.

Per Omniture, NBC.com was 20 percent higher among average monthly uniques during January to June of 2011 versus the first six months of 2010.

NBC.com reached 274 million total video streams in 2011 through June, up 4 percent compared to last year.

Last edited:
Why? Few people would watch 45 minutes of serious off road rock crawling, winching and recovery. This is Top Gear, not Off Road Magazine's guide to Death Valley.

Because the challenges are less fun when he kills his car and takes himself out of the running.

Because the challenges are less fun when he kills his car and takes himself out of the running.

Adam's truck finally died just a few miles from the finish line. TopGear challenges aren't. They're scripted fun and TG US delivered in this week's episode.

I think Beech is right, the challenge was entertaining. Having said that, I would have liked to have seen something else besides the challenge.

As for Adam, his persona as 'The Wrecker' demands that he mistreat his ride. The real challenge? Finding something that can survive being Ferrara'd.

True. But I think he actually liked the Olds. Plus, there wasn't really the sort of test where he could have Ferrara'd it. But thanks Gyvon, I think I'm off to rewatch that episode.

Like I wrote, "'I'm sure this ego massage was part of Leno's contract with NBC."

Although I couldn't find the numbers for JaylenosGarage.com, the following makes me think they are slightly higher than 2,000:

According to complete.com JayLenosGarage.com pulled in 75,000 unique viewers on the site last month. Keeping in mind that does not track any other outlets (such as iTunes, AOL video, YouTube, NBC, Hulu, etc.) where the video may also be available. Therefore his actual reach is likely to be significantly higher (200k-10m, depending if any big affiliates feature his stuff.).

Last edited:
Okay, so we're all agreed that Leno has the perfect bully pulpit to do as he wishes when it comes to cars. So, what else do we think? Leno as SIARPC on TGUS? Or maybe he gets a little segment of his own where he shows of what's in his garage, talks about teh history, etc.

If he had been one of the hosts, I would have expected something like this. I still wouldn't mind seeing it from our current hosts. Not sure what Tanner or Adam drive (if anything) but I know Rutledge has a few eclectic cars to show off. The show might as well get some filler out of it.

Okay, so we're all agreed that Leno has the perfect bully pulpit to do as he wishes when it comes to cars. So, what else do we think? Leno as SIARPC on TGUS? Or maybe he gets a little segment of his own where he shows of what's in his garage, talks about teh history, etc.

If you take a look at the time he spends prepping for and taping The Tonight Show and add the time needed to tape the garage videos and going to car shows. then throw in the "working tax deductible" car vacation to various parts of the world, how much time does he have left over? If Leno had a what's in the garage segment on TG US, he'd probably recycle is garage videos (shade of The Car Show).

In any case, Leno often gets a lot of the history wrong and he drives like a 60 year old. His car videos are just as boring as his Tonight Show hosting. Now if Top gear US could video and test leno's cars without having Jay on camera - that's a win!

Now if Top gear US could video and test leno's cars without having Jay on camera - that's a win!

One of the car mags (Motor Trend I think) got into a bind many years ago and had no Viper to test for a supercar comparison. Who stepped up and loaned them his Viper? David Letterman of course!

No wait, sorry, it was Leno! :lol:

An observation that I had is that TGUK really has 1 main host, and 2 co-hosts. TGUS is trying to have 3 hosts, with no real leader. Maybe thats why the show's hosts are getting a bad rap.

An observation that I had is that TGUK really has 1 main host, and 2 co-hosts. TGUS is trying to have 3 hosts, with no real leader. Maybe thats why the show's hosts are getting a bad rap.

Maybe. It is clear that Clarkson and Willman rule the roost. But that does tend to wear thin (series 14 blog anyone?) Maybe a leader isn't what TGUS wants; somebody compared the show to a road trip movie in another thread, and I think that's an apt comparison.

Maybe. It is clear that Clarkson and Willman rule the roost. But that does tend to wear thin (series 14 blog anyone?) Maybe a leader isn't what TGUS wants; somebody compared the show to a road trip movie in another thread, and I think that's an apt comparison.

Still, given the other (more) popular shows on History, you know at least who's in "charge," so to speak.

Rick Harrison for Pawn Stars. Rick Dale for American Restoration. Mike for American Pickers.

Too bad none of the hosts are leadership material.

why does there have to be a "leader" in this Top Gear? what is wrong with just being on an equal levels in terms of this program?

Exactly, Bryan.

Personally, I like that Adam, Tanner, and Rutledge are on equal footing.