What TGUS Presenter to Drop? [Part 2]

What TGUS Presenter to Drop? [Part 2]

• Total voters
Clarkson is not an excellent driver by any stretch of the imagination. He can slide a car, that's it.

Something he likely learned from Tiff Needell when they were on Old TG. (Tiff can do some massive powerslides and, IIRC, he's done racing before.)

Just look at any "race" around the track on TGUK. The Stig takes the correct line and Jeremy is sliding all over the place.

But if you look at the ones where Jeremy takes on Richard instead of Stig (S4 petrol- vs. diesel-powered Minis, S5 Renault vs. Ford), Jeremy always wins. So he has to be doing something right. (Notice I'm focusing on ones where they go around the track proper, not ones like I think you're thinking about where only a small portion of it is used, nor am I counting drag races.)

If you were in that situation Beech, wouldn't you do the same? I imagine I would! :) Anyway, I have always thought that the point of having three more or less regular guys for hosts on a car show is that they would test a car's handling like a regular guy would. This is my one problem with having a pro like Tanner on the team. But I also think having him on the team makes the others compete harder with him and increases the fun factor. After all, this show is about three 'friends' who are competitive, not three guys who screw around with cars and one of them (Clarkson) is first among equals.

Very much agreed on all counts. :)

I like Rutledge, and he seems like a nice person in real life, but the fact he has to travel around for Nascar means they cant do a taping every week, so no proper news segment :/

That and Adam and Tanner seem a bit better in front of a camera now.

I'm fairly--no, very--impressed and quite encouraged that a US spin-off has finally managed to break the crap barrier. Not only is TGUS relevant to US viewers, but I genuinely enjoy all three presenters (even if they do try a little too hard to match the dynamic of the UK trio). The shows have been quite engaging and they've really kept to the spirit of the original.

Still some kinks to work out; their big star, small car segment needs attention--it's lackluster, flat and I for one don't really care how the star does on the track. The producers need to make us care.

I think that's because they've not yet been able to draw many guests who can give a good interview and are car fans. The only two from last season I really liked were Tim Allen and Kid Rock. (Actually, now that I think of it, Michelle Rodriguez wasn't too bad, either.) The others were okay; Buzz Aldrin was just plain awkward. This season, Rick and Chumlee from Pawn Stars weren't as bad as Aldrin, but they weren't awesome, either.

I think that's because they've not yet been able to draw many guests who can give a good interview and are car fans.

I agree.

Maybe they could get Adam Carrola. :D Or maybe (and seriously) Jay Leno; surely he'd be willing to help them out. Has he ever said anything about the current Top Gear, since it started airing I mean?

he did an interview with the presenters.

What presenter would you like to see droped?

Oh, I get it. It's a Muhammad Ali reference. Rope-a-drope. (Most of you 22 year olds won't get it.)

I agree.

Maybe they could get Adam Carrola. :D Or maybe (and seriously) Jay Leno; surely he'd be willing to help them out. Has he ever said anything about the current Top Gear, since it started airing I mean?

Adam Carolla would need the interview questions in advance, so he could stare into a teleprompter and read his answers.

Before NBC's aborted TG USA pilot, Leno stated that he believed an American version wasn't a good idea. Besides, the guy has no time. If he's not at NBC, he's at his garage on North Damon Way in Burbank shooting videos for his website. Or, touring Europe shooting videos for his website. I'm pretty sure all of his free time is taken up appearing on NBC or in his own videos.

I think there's a medical term for his condition.

Adam Carolla would need the interview questions in advance, so he could stare into a teleprompter and read his answers.

Before NBC's aborted TG USA pilot, Leno stated that he believed an American version wasn't a good idea. Besides, the guy has no time. If he's not at NBC, he's at his garage on North Damon Way in Burbank shooting videos for his website. Or, touring Europe shooting videos for his website. I'm pretty sure all of his free time is taken up appearing on NBC or in his own videos.

Yeah, I know; that's why I mentioned their names, since they used to be connected to the original Top Gear US project. But even with Leno's schedule (and his warehouse of cars), I bet he'd still appear if asked. I remember reading his Popular Mechanics column years ago, talking about how certain aspects of the auto industry were disappearing, like machining parts for classic cars; so he went and began a program at an LA tech school to train people in machining. Cars are obviously very important to him. Top Gear UK is his favorite TV show, NBC still owns History Channel, I bet he'd do it.

History Channel is owned by A&E now.

Meep! Owned by two of the Big Four. Really should brush up on media conglomeration, then, eh? ;)

Where is the option to sack two of them?

Adam Ferrera is my first. Aside from him cutting up perfectly good cars (Seriously, I fear he might cut up something rare all in the name of yucks), his personality just come off as completely grating and unfriendly. Also, I don't feel like he knows cars. Not even in the entertaining sense. He was just hired because the producers couldn't find another car guy. "The Wrecker" is just that....a wreck.

Rutledge Wood is the second. He's way too happy and go-lucky. And when driving in powerful supercars and expensive toys, that could be the difference between recovering from a spin and smashing the car into a wall. And going to his title, "The Expert." I don't quite get that expert vibe. I don't feel like i'm learning anything from him. In a couple cases, I felt like I was being insulted (e.g. Aston Martin being a "Hot Rod." Really?)

Good point. :)

I voted none.

Sure there were some hiccups in the begining but getting chemistry amongst people doesn't happen over night. The final episode of season 1 when they had to spend time in the woods together went a long long way into developing that chemistry. And so far each episode is getting better and better.

If I remember correctly, Leno didn't think TG:US would work because there would inevitably be pressure not to poorly review or comment negatively about cars manufactured by companies who bought advertising time on the network.

Tanner has been a prick this season, not saying replace him. But he's a prick.