What TGUS Presenter to Drop? [Part 2]

What TGUS Presenter to Drop? [Part 2]

• Total voters
I actually find Tanners behavior pretty funny. It's not like Jeremy Clarkson is an angel either. He seems to have become famous by offending people.

If I remember correctly, Leno didn't think TG:US would work because there would inevitably be pressure not to poorly review or comment negatively about cars manufactured by companies who bought advertising time on the network.

That's actually pretty funny when you watch Leno's reviews on JayLenosGarage.com. Manufacturers constantly bring cars to the garage, Jay drives them and NEVER EVER UTTERS A NEGATIVE WORD. He likes his VIP status in the car industry, so he's basically whored himself to continue getting world-wide invites and cuts to the front of the line when he buys. When you get access to GM styling and engineering help building your jet car and your 1955 Buick resto mod and 1,000 HP Olds toronado get fine-tuned at the GM proving grounds by GM engineers, you positively gush about the Chevy Volt!

It's just like when he pretends to be interested in some C-list starlet's movie on the Tonight Show.

Last edited:
That's actually pretty funny when you watch Leno's reviews on JayLenosGarage.com. Manufacturers constantly bring cars to the garage, Jay drives them and NEVER EVER UTTERS A NEGATIVE WORD. He likes his VIP status in the car industry, so he's basically whored himself to continue getting world-wide invites and cuts to the front of the line when he buys. When you get access to GM styling and engineering help building your jet car and your 1955 Buick resto mod and 1,000 HP Olds toronado get fine-tuned at the GM proving grounds by GM engineers, you positively gush about the Chevy Volt!

It's just like when he pretends to be interested in some C-list starlet's movie on the Tonight Show.

You're out of your damn mind. Leno's an idiot, you take him anything non-American and "I like it, but eh-wah-eh it's not as good as this... which is made in AMERICA!!!!!!!"

unfortunately, Jay Leno will always be the host of the Tonight Show for the rest of his life...

Let's be fair to the man. If any one of us had that setup with the car industry, we wouldn't do a damn thing to fuck it up.

Let's be fair to the man. If any one of us had that setup with the car industry, we wouldn't do a damn thing to fuck it up.

good point. again, why Jay Leno will always be the host of the Tonight Show for the rest of his life...

You're out of your damn mind. Leno's an idiot, you take him anything non-American and "I like it, but eh-wah-eh it's not as good as this... which is made in AMERICA!!!!!!!"

Oh, please. Show me one video of Leno reviewing any new foreign car wherein he says anything bad. They're all on his website. Just find one.

He thinks American cars are better than foreign cars? Look at what new cars the idiot is buying with his own money. It seems that the last three new cars the idiot bought are all British

He just bought a new McLaren MP12 and got a driving introduction on the TopGear track. He also visited Morgan and ordered their new trike. Last year, he visited Jaguar and bought a new XF. Going back further, he paid for a new McLaren F1, and new Porsche GT. I think he's also taken delivery of a new SLS.

New American purchases? A Challenger and a politically correct Chevy Volt.

http://askville.amazon.com/cars-Jay-Leno/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=238034

Not an up-to-date list, but I notice a tremendous number of Bentley's and Bugatti's just in the front part of that list. His list seems to be pretty even between American iron and European. Same thing goes with his list of motorcycles. So he whores himself out to the makers; so what? All he seems to care about is his collection, and he does what he needs to do to keep it up and expand it.

Like Gyvon said, wouldn't you?

What?!? He loves the RX-8 and the Miata (he owns two I think), he has a couple great videos on his Mazda Cosmo, he has a very favorible review of the Morgan Threewheeler. He likes American muscle but he is also into real sports cars no matter who made it.

My point was Leno's opinion of TG US not being able to critique cars is hypocritical given he has never done so (new or current cars) simply because he wants VIP status with all the manufacturers. If he hosted any car program, he wouldn't say anything negative about any new car.

Last edited:
My point was Leno's opinion of TG US not being able to critique cars is hypocritical given he has never done so (new or current cars) simply because he wants VIP status with all the manufacturers. If he hosted any car program, he wouldn't say anything negative about any new car.

I agree. As others have said, this is why he hosts his own soft-core talk show; he doesn't need to take a strong stand on anything and probably doesn't want to so he can avoid pissing anyone off and keep his sugar flowing sweet.

But I think he'd make a good guest. He was a good guest on TGUK. So was Tom Cruise; maybe he'll stop by TGUS when MI4 comes out.

I disagree that Leno was a good guest on TG UK. I don't think he was a good interview, nor did he have a good lap. Nor do I think he'd give TG US the time of day because he's a fan of the original (despite the fact the US hosts were on his show back around the time it debuted). I doubt Tom Cruise will, either (although I believe he was a much better guest).

I disagree that Leno was a good guest on TG UK. I don't think he was a good interview, nor did he have a good lap. Nor do I think he'd give TG US the time of day because he's a fan of the original (despite the fact the US hosts were on his show back around the time it debuted). I doubt Tom Cruise will, either (although I believe he was a much better guest).

Didn't we do this dance already? :D

I enjoyed Leno's turn as guest. He's a proper car bloke, and it was nice to see Clarkson a bit speechless as he ran through Leno's list of cars. Sure he didn't do well on the lap, but most Americans never do, what with the gear shift on the 'wrong' side. And I still think he would show up, if the corporate structure 'asked' him to.

Yeah, I don't think there is a hope in hell of Cruise showing up either, unless he can somehow be tricked into thinking that TGUS is really TGUK. Or better yet, convince him that by doing the interview/lap, he will get a Purification Rundown!

Yeah, I don't think there is a hope in hell of Cruise showing up either, unless he can somehow be tricked into thinking that TGUS is really TGUK. Or better yet, convince him that by doing the interview/lap, he will get a Purification Rundown!

If your gonna do a Tom Cruise joke, you need to brush up on your Scientology jokes as well.

With that being said, the only way Cruise is gonna be on TGUSA is if he Thetan Levels are high enough and ritual sacrifices to Xenu merge in holy matrimony. (Translation: Whenever his next movie comes out and he needs the good PR to mask the fact that the movie is gonna blow big time at the box office).

Where is the option to sack two of them?

Adam Ferrera is my first. Aside from him cutting up perfectly good cars (Seriously, I fear he might cut up something rare all in the name of yucks), his personality just come off as completely grating and unfriendly. Also, I don't feel like he knows cars. Not even in the entertaining sense. He was just hired because the producers couldn't find another car guy. "The Wrecker" is just that....a wreck.

Rutledge Wood is the second. He's way too happy and go-lucky. And when driving in powerful supercars and expensive toys, that could be the difference between recovering from a spin and smashing the car into a wall. And going to his title, "The Expert." I don't quite get that expert vibe. I don't feel like i'm learning anything from him. In a couple cases, I felt like I was being insulted (e.g. Aston Martin being a "Hot Rod." Really?)

I was insulted when the Cadillac CTS-V, and the Corvette were called "muscle cars" on TGUK, the only true "muscle car" in that test was the Challenger, enough they hated it for all the reasons that made it a true muscle car.

Where is the option to sack two of them?

Adam Ferrera is my first. Aside from him cutting up perfectly good cars (Seriously, I fear he might cut up something rare all in the name of yucks), his personality just come off as completely grating and unfriendly. Also, I don't feel like he knows cars. Not even in the entertaining sense. He was just hired because the producers couldn't find another car guy. "The Wrecker" is just that....a wreck.

Rutledge Wood is the second. He's way too happy and go-lucky. And when driving in powerful supercars and expensive toys, that could be the difference between recovering from a spin and smashing the car into a wall. And going to his title, "The Expert." I don't quite get that expert vibe. I don't feel like i'm learning anything from him. In a couple cases, I felt like I was being insulted (e.g. Aston Martin being a "Hot Rod." Really?)

I was more insulted with TGUK calling the Corvette, and the Cadillac CTS-V "muscle cars", the only muscle car in that test was the Dodge Charger, which they ironically hated for all the reasons that made it a true muscle car.

For those that don't know:

Muscle cars:

Ford Mustang
Chevy Camaro
Dodge Challenger/Charger

Sports Car:
CTS-V
Corvette (some argue supercar)

I voted for none.

If your gonna do a Tom Cruise joke, you need to brush up on your Scientology jokes as well.

Who was joking? When I discovered that Hubbard based Scientology on a failed TV movie script of his, I didn't bother to learn much about it. A quick Wikipedia check to get something Scientology-y to make a remark about and voila!

Its too bad though, Hubbard was pretty good writer; Battlefield Earth was actually a good book, and I've read a few others from his days as a pulp sci-fi author that were good as well. But Scientology obviously pays better...

I voted none...seems I am not alone.

Far from it. :)

I'm surprised to see people trashing Leno here. His website is free, and I'm sure run at a loss. It's basically for his own ego, as something to give back to the car guys. But then again, seeing that one of the people who doesn't like Leno, also didn't/doesn't know who Dan Neil is, tells me all I need to know about their level of knowledge as an American auto enthusiast. Jay's show is great for what it is, and I'm glad he's doing it.

Last edited: