What To Buy? - Back to Square One

Timbits93

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport line
Well seems like i'm back to square one.

Going to have to look at used cars now since my sister doesn't want a new car <_<

But i guess that means it opens the gates to some cars i would have considered in the first place.

However after doing some math, if i get a used car for $14,000 OTD with worst case fuel economy (only 5000km a year anyways) and $1,000 each year for maintenance (things break, maintenance on a 5-10 year old car), we'd only save on average $9,000 at the very least in 5 years ($32,000 vs $40,000+ in 5 Years)

So what i've been looking at are the following,

02-05 Audi A4, regardless of engine size and drivetrain, as long as it has power driver's w/ memory and a 3-spoke steering wheel with decent factory wheels.

03-05 Infiniti G35, japanese reliability, thirsty V6 compared to the V6 in the A4 w/ Quattro.

06-08 Volkswagen Jetta, newer german engineering compared to A4, not as fun?

01-05 BMW 3-Series E46 (Preferably Coupe), i just like how it looks and it's a BMW!

Would have the Mazda3 (04-08) however due to the known rust problems (relative owns an 05, has rust), i'll be avoiding them. Also would have the current Lancer (08-now) however it just isn't depreciating quick enough (one more year?).

So lets get to a conclusion and if you have anything to add to the list which is a 4/5 seater automatic transmission w/ a sunroof, please add :)

Well after test driving the Jetta and Impreza, we test drove the Mazda3 and Lancer again but back to back.

Came to the conclusion that both are so similar yet different :?

The Mazda3 had a slightly more softer sprung ride and the 5-speed shiftable slush.

The Lancer had the slightly stiffer ride but a dreaded CVT.

I like how the Lancer handled but i like how composed the engine in the 3 had due to the transmission difference. While i won't be driving spiritedly most of the time, as i'm in the city, but it's just nice to have a composed engine when you put your foot down.

Feature and price-wise, the 3 is better but a couple hundred and leather seats.

But other than that, it's quite difficult to choose between the two.

Hopefully we'll get into something by the end of summer. Colours are limited for the 3 due to 2012s making our shores by fall.

Help me! <_<

Last edited:
Neither. Buy a Miata.

:p

Haha good one. I think i'd drive the Miata everyday if i had one just for the thrill of driving it!

Just need those 4 or 5 doors for the convenience and something that's a good commuter and a little fun while offering some luxuries... and gas which the Lancer does better at due to the CVT.

WRONG! Your freeloading so-called friends can buy their own cars or slum it on the bus.

Now go test drive a Miata young man before I fly over there and give you a severe, unlubricated rogering with a second hand anti-gay bar! :mad:

I think the Lancer looks better, but the CVT is total and absolute shit.

The Lancer is also listed on the IIHS's top ten worst cars list.

http://jalopnik.com/5669691/the-ten-cars-insurance-companies-hate/

Highest Losses: All Coverage

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer

Relative Score: 163

Reason: The Mitsubishi Lancer is on both the lists for high bodily injury liability (151) and medical liability (177), meaning crashing one isn't something you'd like to do but something Lancer owners seem to do with some frequency.

So apparently Lancer drivers are running into everything on the road and then becoming severely injured as a result.

Last edited:
'tis very easy, anything that has a CVT should be incinerated.

Last edited:
'tis very easy, anything that has a CVT should be incinerated.

Actually, the Nissan CVTs seem to be sturdy and are fitted to cars where driving fun isn't exactly paramount. They also come with a manumatic mode where you can shift between predetermined ratios if you wish.

Actually, the Nissan CVTs seem to be sturdy and are fitted to cars where driving fun isn't exactly paramount. They also come with a manumatic mode where you can shift between predetermined ratios if you wish.

Nissan's idea of 'predetermined' ratios allowed for 45mph in "1st" gear. Their cruel idea of 'engine braking'

So it's faking to be a proper gearbox? I don't know I just hate the damn things, I drove a yaris with a cvt and was displeased with it. The car was fine, as fine as a yaris can be but the gearbox was just....ugh.

Nissan's idea of 'predetermined' ratios allowed for 45mph in "1st" gear. Their cruel idea of 'engine braking'

I can do well over 50mph in first gear, what's your point? :p

If the engine can take it (and if the CVT is bolted to a VG or VQ, it can,) what does it matter?

Buy the mazda because it will always be happy to see you.

Yeah, but who wants to drive a Mazda Prozac?

I vote mazda 3 as well. While the lancer's nice, the 3's nicer.

Both 3 and Lancer earned Top Safety Pick awards by the IIHS, so they should be relatively safe. I suspect the accident stats might be skewed by some Evo owners who drive too riskily, along with young standard Lancer owners who attempt the same thing :p

Last edited:
Good thing Coco has her own built-in airbags!

:lol:

isn't there a stick 3? i swear i saw it in the options.... Anyways, even the auto 3s drive very well. I vote 3.

There is. However this is going to be a shared car with my sister (TECHNICALLY she could pay the car off herself... in CASH but i want the car, she needs the practice so 50/50 financing) :cool:

So it's faking to be a proper gearbox? I don't know I just hate the damn things, I drove a yaris with a cvt and was displeased with it. The car was fine, as fine as a yaris can be but the gearbox was just....ugh.

Anything with a CVT is ehhhh. While i could live with the Lancer everyday, don't think i'll be pleased with performence but rather the money in my pocket from fuel savings :rolleyes:

Both cars are contrasting. Mazda3 is the Happy car. Not good when you're pissed off. The Mitsubisi is aggressive looking. I know my sister likes the Mazda3 look better and the drive slightly more though she needs to test drive the Lancer again because her seat position wasn't corrected till after she drove it, which was when we swapped.

Price-wise, both are similar so there's no question. But i'm going to book a test drive for the Lancer again for the long weekend but using the route we drove with the Mazda because it was more whindy and fun to drive with a steeper hill. And to see the sales (not the typical sleezy guy but... you know where i'm going :lol:) Now if only the Lancer SE (Sun & Spoiler) was offered with the shiftable, it would make the CVT a little more livable. The Lancer GT (no more GTS in Canada :cry:) has the paddles and shiftable gate but its 3K more for the Leather everything, rockford fosgate sound and the fast-key which is nice to have and all but ehhh.

But it seems like we're leaning towards the happy face due to value and the interior. Still doesn't stop me from booking a test drive with Mitsubishi :D

Last edited:

It's not that happy to see you, it doesn't have a power bulge.

I rented a Mazda3 for a couple of days, and am a firm fan. Another vote for the Mazda, smile be damned.

I can do well over 50mph in first gear, what's your point? :p

If the engine can take it (and if the CVT is bolted to a VG or VQ, it can,) what does it matter?

Well, going down Pikes Peak at 50mph isn't something that I consider, hmm, healthy? Also, with a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, the tall 'ratios' make it abysmally slow.

Last edited: