What To Buy? - Back to Square One

My friend, his wife and his mother all own Mazda 3's. They are a good solid fun to drive car. Plus the hatch is roomy and looks better than the saloon. Just avoid the 2.0L, it's good economy but slow as molasses.

Just to let you know,

I'm thinking of getting the Mazda3 Sedan just purely because of price (2K less than the Hatch) and the fact that i don't really FEEL like we need the 2.5L (the 2.0L felt like it had plenty up the hills of Burnaby). Would add Fog Lights and Auto Dimming Rearview w/ Compass and Homelink. But of course the hatch looks better :cool:

Which obviously compares with the Lancer Sedan mostly because of looks, with the benefit of price. It just looks like the hatch was an afterthought.

But hmm, just a weekend till i make up my mind and actually start negotiations with one of them haha.

Guess i might need to try to Hatch again... Never attempted to push it to the limit with the Hatch (first car i test drove). Pushed the sedan to its back road limits though haha.

Whatever, figure it out in pricing sometime. Some time left if i want a Silver Sedan, dunno avaliablity of the Hatchs though.

Using this time to calculate and of course try to Lancer once more just to make sure if the 3 feels better.

:lol: These were the exact two cars it came down to for me. No GTS trim on the Lancer in Canada is utter crap, though. That's what lured me away from the Mazda! I'd have probably been just as happy with the 3, TBH. I've driven both, and they're both fun cars to drive.

Haters gonna hate the CVT, but I think I like it better than a regular slushbox. Either way (CVT or normal automatic), you're not really controlling the gearbox. I feel like I'm more in control of the CVT, though, because it won't shift (and thus unsettle the car a bit by shifting) when I don't want it to. It's one continuous...thing. How far I push down the throttle pedal relates more to the RPM of the engine. This I like. It makes it stupidly easy to keep it in its powerband. It's stood up to almost 33K miles of utter abuse thus far with no issues, so I'm really impressed.

I have the GTS, so it came with paddle shifters (and the programmed-in "gears"), but I really only like those for acceleration. Revs don't fall very quickly for downshifting, so meh, I prefer to get up to speed with the paddles and then whack it back over to D to stay. In that case, a normal automatic with flappy paddles may work better, but it does at least seem like the "gear" changes are a bit more instantaneous with the CVT than the usual autobox/paddle combo. Maybe it's the lack of gears?

So, um, teach the sister to drive a stick--if not for this car, it's still a good thing to know! I know several of the Mazda slushboxes have paddle shifters. Are any of them available on the 3? That might be a good compromise. The paddles on the RX-8 I drove were a little strange (+ is above and - is below on BOTH sides--like four paddles total), but they worked.

Insurance companies only hate the Lancer because they tend to be driven by knobs. It's supposed to be a very safe car (there are a bajillion airbags), as rickhamilton mentioned.

The handling in both cars is pretty great for what they are. They're both nose-heavy FWD cars, therefore, understeer, but I've been really impressed with the Lancer thus far. IIRC, even the lower trims of the Lancer come with surprisingly fat swaybars and such to keep everything under control. The Mazda3 was the car to have in its class for autocross (and is in the same one as the Lancer) for years. Both cars are easy to maneuver and whee.

As far as the engine goes, I've tried out the 2.0 and 2.4 in the Lancer (both CVT) and a 2.3 in the Mazda3 (manual). The base 2.0 in the Lancer seemed a little sluggish. I've heard that CVTs eat power a little bit, so that might be the case. The 2.4 is decently perky, especially above 3500 RPM, mwahahaha. I didn't get a chance to abuse the Mazda much (it was a "let's try to teach you how to drive a stick again" car), but the 2.3 seemed pretty nice, too. No complaints there. It seemed to have more low-end power than the Lancer's engines, IIRC.

Where the Mazda3 beats the pants off the Lancer is in the interior, though. It's just much nicer in every way. Mine's a LOT of hard plastic. It scratches easily and already has a couple rattles.

I also like the looks of the Lancer sedan exterior better, but the Mazda3's hatch version looks more...together? The Lancer comes in a Sportback hatch version, but the roundy back end doesn't seem to match the angular front. The Mazda3's hatch seems like more of a cohesive design statement. I
love.gif
that car as a hatchback. It's weird, but I love the angry face on my car as well as the 3's happy face. I think the 3 is where the happymazda look actually fits the best.

I have no idea what the warranty offer is in Canada, but a big selling point for the Lancer here was the 10-year/100,000 mile deal.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have no idea what the warranty offer is in Canada, but a big selling point for the Lancer here was the 10-year/100,000 mile deal.

The Mazda has 3-Year Bumper to Bumper and 5-Year Powertrain while the Lancer has the 5-Year Bumper to Bumper and 10-Year Powertrain.

But yeah, stuck in 2.0L trim if i want the Lancer. Least the Mazda has the choice haha. Will learn stick in the near future, don't think i want to drive stick all day long :p

Going to go for another test drive in the Lancer this weekend to "get famillar" with the CVT and the twisty roads.

After my sister did a little more research, she's now split as well. Makes this very hard... Why can't the Lancer GT be 1 or 2 grand cheaper :(

BTW i would respond to the other parts of the post but i'm lazy atm, maybe later :D

I know several of the Mazda slushboxes have paddle shifters. Are any of them available on the 3? That might be a good compromise. The paddles on the RX-8 I drove were a little strange (+ is above and - is below on BOTH sides--like four paddles total), but they worked.

That's exactly what mine has, but I don't know if the Mazda3 works the same way. It definitely has paddles of some sort.

Now that i think about it, if i'm going to keep this car for 5 years +, i mind as well spend a bit more and get either the Mazda3 Sport GS w/ Luxury ($24,260) or the Mitsubishi Lancer GT ($25,198). Have to consult with my sis but as long as we're able to negotiate the overall selling price below $30,000 OTD, it should make the car payments below $500 a month.

Which means i have to drive the Lancer GT, though the suspension is all the same with the front and rear stabilizer bars as the SE, because it has paddle shifters and shiftable CVT which would probably make life more bearable with it.

Also means that the Mazda3 will have more power than the Lancer at the cost of fuel alone at 9.2 L/100KM in the city vs 8.1 L/100KM for the Lancer.

I just made the choice more difficult for myself, time to call into the dealer sometime today, let them know i'm dropping by again :p

mazda

I think i've come to my ALMOST certain conclusion.

Despite another drive in both cars, it almost didn't help make my mind up.

So in spite of the :D, i think i'll be picking up a Mazda 3 within the next week or so depending on how negotiations go.

I'm eyeing the Mazda 3 GT Sedan w/o the Entertainment Package. Means i'll miss out on the BOSE Centrepoint 10 Speaker Audio (Supposably standard on 2012 GTs), Adaptive Front Headlights (They move), Push Button Start and Navigation. At the very least, i get the Leather seats, automatic climate, trip computer and the oh so nice 2.5 L I4.

Based on what i've calculated, after applying the $500 Grad Rebate (sister is able to apply for it) and the $500 dealer signing bonus, the car should technically be NO MORE than $29,500 OTD. I can probably bring it down the $28,900 OTD if i try but i won't put my money on it as they'll tack on some BS fees associated with selling the car (Doc fees, etc.)

If anyone has any tips in terms of negotiating, please leave some.

Much appreciated and looking forward to be driving our first car! :p

bloody hell, with that sort of money... you can get a really mint MKV GTI.

bloody hell, with that sort of money... you can get a really mint MKV GTI.

Well i wouldn't be putting all my money down on it anyhow, its "0% Down, 0% Financing for 60 Months". Obviously if i had cold hard cash, i'd probably be setting my sights on things like the GTi.

Mazda 3 is such a girl's car though... LOL... an undeniable fact. (Disclaimer: fact = my opinion)

But besides that, it just seems too "econo-box" no matter the options.

-Robert

Very nice! I like the 3.

Very nice! I like the 3.

2nded I also like the 3, and you'll get one before it probably goes all angry faced.

Happy cars FTW!

My friend, his wife and his mother all own Mazda 3's. They are a good solid fun to drive car. Plus the hatch is roomy and looks better than the saloon. Just avoid the 2.0L, it's good economy but slow as molasses.
I have an 08 Mazda 3 with the 2.0, and it is anything but slow. Reasonably average, i'd say. But not slow.

Well back to square one, as the first post notes :(

Out of your new choices, I'd choose the Jetta. Choose a 2.5 powered model and you get a excellent interior, decent reliability, and good safety scores. The G35 is nice too and might be a good choice if you want excellent reliability.

A 06 to 10 Jetta or Golf/Rabbit is one of my "realistic dream" cars so perhaps I'm biased. :p

Last edited:
I like A4s. Those are fun to drive.