What To Buy? - Back to Square One

So what i've been looking at are the following,

02-05 Audi A4, regardless of engine size and drivetrain, as long as it has power driver's w/ memory and a 3-spoke steering wheel with decent factory wheels.

03-05 Infiniti G35, japanese reliability, thirsty V6 compared to the V6 in the A4 w/ Quattro.

06-08 Volkswagen Jetta, newer german engineering compared to A4, not as fun?

Would have the Mazda3 (04-08) however due to the known rust problems (relative owns an 05, has rust), i'll be avoiding them. Also would have the current Lancer (08-now) however it just isn't depreciating quick enough (one more year?).

So lets get to a conclusion and if you have anything to add to the list which is a 4/5 seater automatic transmission w/ a sunroof, please add :)

Of those three posted the Infiniti is going to be the most fun and most reliable. I have a nomination that fits your criteria well and they are very inexpensive to buy and run.

2006-2009 Ford Fusion V6 SE or SEL:
ford_fusion_v6_se_2006

Or it's sister Mazda6:
i.mazda.6.2006.front.05aug.jpg

The Ford has 4" more interior space. The Mazda is more sporty.

Last edited:
Of those three posted the Infiniti is going to be the most fun and most reliable. I have a nomination that fits your criteria well and they are very inexpensive to buy and run.

2006-2009 Ford Fusion V6 SE or SEL:
ford_fusion_v6_se_2006

Or it's sister Mazda6:
i.mazda.6.2006.front.05aug.jpg

The Ford has 4" more interior space. The Mazda is more sporty.

Great Idea! The Fusion that I was in had a nice interior as well.

Great Idea! The Fusion that I was in had a nice interior as well.

Seriously, the Fusion has a REAL nice interior. Don't forget in 2008 the Fusion got Sync, that is epic win.

IS300s are pretty hard to find now a days. Heck there are 2 that got riced and those are a no-no in my books.

And i think i'll skip the Fusion, have been in one but just want something a bit more fun. Though its well within budget.

I took a look at some A4s today, one had 119K KM on it (73K miles), sold by an Audi dealer. Though it was missing a piece at the fog light area and had a scrape on the passenger side rear fender (needs paint). I couldn't drive it because apparently their insurance didn't cover me (under age of majority, but can drive alone) at that dealer - not expected since i've been given the green light for brand new cars over at other dealers couple weeks ago after showing ID. So my sis had a go in it.

Overall, i felt it was alright but because of the minor damages here and there, and those oh so non appealing peeling buttons, decided to give it a pass despite its price.

On we go after another A4.

However to add to the list i'm looking at aside from the A4, the E46 (seems to be problem free for the 2 people i know that has owned them since new).

Btw, saw a 06 Jetta with only 88K KM (54K miles) at this used car lot, fully loaded with even steering wheel mounted controls! However felt sketchy due to price ($12K).

Also i missed an opportunity to get a 05' G35 Sedan today. Forgot the mileage but it sold quick over at the Audi dealer. The price was right too! ($15k)

While i know maintenance can be a bit costly on these german cars, i feel like it will be worth while. Though any of you have any tips regarding the A4 or E46 in terms of maintenance or things to look for? (Besides peeling buttons in A4 :mad:)

Well i might have come to a conclusion...

Drove the A4 1.8T Quattro Avant (they didn't have a sedan at the dealer) to get a feel of how an A4 drives.

Steering feel is good, effort is on the heavy side though. Nice stiff but forgiving suspension (for the most part). The 1.8T feels a bit sluggish to start on a 27C cold start. However once it has warmed up, it feels way more responsive and delivering smooth power. When i left it in D, it was REALLY smooth just shifting gears, didn't even feel it! Once in S mode, felt more lively but held the gears a bit too long (though what do you expect?).

Overall, i liked how it drove. Liked the interior and exterior (sedan) styling. Just don't like the handbrake design, seems like the designers weren't thinking! But its something that can be dealt with so it doesn't bother me.

Anyways, looking for a 03-05 (maybe 06 depending if it fits our budget) A4 1.8T or 3.0 (has the memory seats!). So far i've stumbled on a 03 1.8T with wheels that look like from the Avant (6 spoke 17") and yes, a power driver's seat! It's within budget but will probably be able to knock 2-3k off the price due to some minor things like a missing 2nd set of keys, some upcoming maintenance required on the car and the fact that the car has been on the lot for a month (though many have been there for way longer). All based on facts and will probably try to negotiate in an inspection done by BCAA.

If all goes well, which i hope, might be in a new car by the middle of the week!

If not, well i guess will just take my sweet time.

Any tips about the 1.8T or Audi's in general? Thanks!

Good luck in your hunt Tim! Well all I know is Quattros are heavy drinkers.
Anyway, we're looking at the Audi D4 A8 ourselves as the Rolls replacement, heh!

2011_camaro.gif

do eet

you can easily have a well equipped v6 in your price bracket.

Last edited:
I found something thats slightly over budget ($17800 asking, dealer) - 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Sedan w/ around 70k KM. It has a black interior but a Dakar Beige Metallic exterior (ehhh) but its just loaded with EVERYTHING including rear heated seats, BOSE audio, adaptive headlights and most importantly, Power Driver's Seat with 4 person Memory (linked with side mirrors). While it'll probably be a bit difficult to negotiate down, seems like it might be an easy task due to colour ($$), major maintenance ($$$) and the fact that its not at an Audi dealer (Honda dealer).

Gotta talk it over with my sis, find that magic number. However if it doesn't go over with her well, will resort back to the Black on Black 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sedan w/ 80k KM for $13,500. Just wish that one had memory seats (only on the 3.0L V6).

Or maybe the blue 04 BMW 325ci i saw for $16k with only 80k KM also. Gotta drive the E46 though but i'm happy with the A4 after having driven the Avant.

Said Rolls has been discussed with pics in the past but I don't know the specific situation, they keep it for someone else or something IIRC?

Yup bingo. Car was a company car bought by my dad's investor but used by us. Recently we've sold it because it was 10 years old and needed a new lump sum tax.

You can see it here:
http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=166312&DL=1378

and here:

and here:
http://forum.tdu-central.com/threads/10651-2002-Rolls-Royce-Silver-Seraph-(Updated-15th-Aug)

And on my Facebook too, timbits who's on my FB can justify I guess.
One of the main reason why I never shared it here was with the people here being so sceptical, and the car being not my dad's.

@Tim: Good to see you finally not going Japanese! :lol:

Last edited:
Definitely prefer the Mazda over the Lancers, for looks & driving

Well apparently both cars were sold on the day i was looking at it (well gotta check for the 03 A4 since that place has 2 locations). So currently i'm opening up my choices in regards to the car.

03-07 Audi A4
02-05 BMW 3-Series Coupe (found a decent trade-in at an Audi dealer)
03-05 Mercedes CLK320 (found a lease return for a good price and low mileage)
04-05 Infiniti G35 (Well...)

Gotta test drive the 3 other ones since i drove the A4 before. But if i happen to come across an A4 again, i mind as well try to take it off the lot with me.

But as it's a holiday, only certain places are open :(

Okay some advice appreciated please!

Came across a 09' Lancer GT (dunno if it was GTS or not since it had the magnesium paddle shifters and the 18" wheels). Decent price and low mileage however it had some minor minor cosmetic damage. But overall, looked like since it was black. Still missing those features i want missing in the Lancer to begin with like power driver's seat and the interior materials is just meh.

Looked at this 07' Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. has 92K KM. Was an ex-lease, then financed for 4 months till it was taken away by VW. This car lot purchased it. However there has been declared claims, one of them was $9,700 in repairs. Insurance company report indicates no frame/structural damage however carfax states it might have frame/structural damage due to the costly nature of repairs. Have to run a check behind the damages of this car. It's a cheap price and has history to back it up since it was a lease. Though it seems like this car was a smoker's car due to the lighter being used and a slight stench of cigarette in the car. But the price is hard to refuse.

Just wish i didn't pass up the same exact car with more options for the same price over at this Honda dealer. :(

So its Lancer GTS vs Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. Disappointed that i couldn't get anything today but either way, i'm going to have to wait!

Advice appreciated!

I would never buy a car with as much baggage as that A4. if they repoed the car cause the prior owner couldnt afford the payments, what are the odds that they did maintenance...;) There's a reason why the price is so low.

i would definetly want to know with near absolute certainty what those repairs were for before investigating the Audi any further.

Dont let excitement and anxioty over not being able to get a car right away cloud your judgement.

Last edited: