What would you propose Andy Wilman as a Top Gear challenge?

Similar to the "shit car challenge" :D idea in a way, something that I've had in my head for a while is that each of them chooses one of the other's own cars for the third one to drive (e.g. James chooses one of Jeremy's cars for Richard to drive etc.). They wouldn't know what they were expected to do with them until after the cars were chosen, so they wouldn't know whether the choice would help or hinder the driver (unless the car was specifically chosen to piss them off, but I couldn't see any of them doing a thing like that, could you?). There would then be a variety of tests, followed by a massive argument heated debate as they figure out a) who has the best car and b) who's paying for the damage :-?

OK, that may not go well, thinking about it. But it was a thought :)
James could make Jeremy drive Richard's 911. The horror... :lol:

An art car each. Put them on eBay or something and all the money can be sent to Pudsey.

I'm sure they could do as well as the students who got ?51,945 from the Arts Council and the National Lottery, for a mangled car crashed into a tree installation (possibly Jezza inspired):
article-1086620-0280BAEF000005DC-425_468x312.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-sick-car-crash-installation-cries-help.html

Here's one: the Cat D challenge.

Every so often flicking through autotrader you come across an amazing car at a too good to be true price. Suddenly all becomes clear when you read the small print at the end stating Cat D (Category D, insurance write off). But it seems such a waste of quite often lightly damaged exotic cars... and it could be a really cheap way to get a good car.

Similar principal to the Avantime, find the market value of the uncrashed car, halve it and give the presenters that much cash to repair and improve their car.

would kind of be like the italian supercar challenge under 10000 pounds....a recipe for top gear deliciousness

I'd like to see each one of them in the SIARPC car do the timed lap, practice? doubt they'll need it.
Lets see how slow James really is..

:)

Then lets have Hammond & James do it on their bikes and Jeremy can pick something decent but proper car...

Top Gear Races:

Ducati 1098R WSBK or a Desmo RR vs a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup around the Top Gear Test Track.

I feel that a motorbike should be allowed to hold its own around the top gear track to see what has changed in the 10 years since Jeremy in a 911 went against Niall Mckenzie on an R1. (Dont forget Naill was on cold tires which is a big negative for the bike)

Do an off road race like the Baja 1000 or the Dakar. (yes really)

Top Gear Cheap Car Challenge:

100 pounds to buy a Taxi: Use in India
2000 pounds to make a proper touring car. (Prove it can be done for less than a modern Super 2000 WTCC machine.)

The Worst Car in the UK Challenge

People say there really are no bad cars on sale these days. But is it true? The Top Gear trio each pick what they believe to be the worst car on sale in the UK right now. They under go the usual series of challenges and the one with the worst score wins... and gets to keep their car.

Here are my ideas for Andy: (some are a bit OTT to be honest :p)

THE FEASIBLE

Top Gear goes rallying.

Each presenter is given a budget, is told to go out and buy a car they feel suitable for rallying, then modify it however they please with what's left over. (Obviously, safety equipment does not count towards their budget). They are then given a randomly chosen co-driver, and entered in a rally.

Just gonna say that :p

1. Making a rally car - how hard can it be?
Buy a car for x amount of money, spend money making it rally worthy and have them enter a race.

2. Cheap classic British cars challenge
Buy something like an Austin Mini, Morris Minor, etc for x amount of money. Challenges and the whole boona to follow...

3. Race across India
Jezza in a car of some sort, Hammond and May on mopeds

4. Full length special in Australia
Drive across the whole country

5. A race from Land's End to John O'Groats on very old cars (Ford Model T etc.)
Probably more unfeasible to be honest :p

THE UNFEASIBLE

1. Around the world in 80 days...in a car
JC, RH and JM alternate in a cheap car (preferably something British like an old Mini) across the globe in less than 80 days. Like Long Way Round.

2. TG design a car from scratch
The challenge: Top Gear have to design, prototype and build their own car FROM SCRATCH.

3. Race to the South Pole :D

4. Reliant Robin Redux
This time into the stratosphere!!! :D:D

I don't know for sure, but i did like Jeremys old idea of entering James in a classic motorcycle race and watching him fail cataclysmically. On the contrary i would actually like to see a challenge, like the Avantine Tuning challenge, where they aren't setup for such spectacular failure. Failure isn't so funny when its all that ever happens on the show. One thing they could think about is, the best "portable" transport solution, such as say Jeremy has the Peel P50, James gets a Honda Motocompo, and Richard gets something like one of those that i haven't heard of because i can't think of anything.

Right now, in season 12, their doing fricken fantastic. These threads are fun, but their a bit of a waste of time going on the type of goofball nonesense they've been able think up on their own.

or how about this : the same car challenge as usual, but they choose each other's cars and budgets.
The twist is this : they don't know who will end up using the car they'll buy....

apparently lots of people agree with my idea, which is nice of them
Mr Wilman, if you're reading this and thinking of using my idea, PM me.
I have very reasonable prices :shifty:

Get a new Mercedes E-Class and show the advances in car design
for example:
Drive it round the Ring as a ring-cab (like the M5s) and compare it to a '80s Porsche 911 - Clarkson and Hammond in the Porsche

Compare fuel economy to a '80s or '90s small car, a Polo or a Vauxhall Nova-May
You could also crash it to cover safety issues or I don't know, I guess you could do a lot of things to compare and show the evolution...
What do you think?

or how about this : the same car challenge as usual, but they choose each other's cars and budgets.
The twist is this : they don't know who will end up using the car they'll buy....

Similar to the "shit car challenge" :D idea in a way, something that I've had in my head for a while is that each of them chooses one of the other's own cars for the third one to drive (e.g. James chooses one of Jeremy's cars for Richard to drive etc.). They wouldn't know what they were expected to do with them until after the cars were chosen, so they wouldn't know whether the choice would help or hinder the driver (unless the car was specifically chosen to piss them off, but I couldn't see any of them doing a thing like that, could you?). There would then be a variety of tests, followed by a massive argument heated debate as they figure out a) who has the best car and b) who's paying for the damage :-?

OK, that may not go well, thinking about it. But it was a thought :)

I love these ideas. So brilliant.

To build on these... The "I Hate That (Cheap) Car!" Challenge...

The three are given the usual budget of ?1500 (or so) to buy a car for each other...one they know the other absolutely hates, for whatever reason. (They can't choose a VW Beetle; that would be too easy.) Afterwards, as always, a series of challenges. Stress levels will also be monitored.

I'd challenge them to do an entire episode.....UNSCRIPTED!!!

Like literally, they cannot refer to a single piece of paper at all, no teleprompters, nothing pre-planned, just a general idea of what they want to do.

Maybe they could do this for their last episode of the season, the one Andy Wilman said would be without a budget. They can claim that the budget got so emptied that they don't even have a script for their episode, so they'll have to make it all up on the spot! Of course they can bring articles etc for the news segment, but NO scripted jokes, NO scripted pranks. Just pure (and as unedited as possible) improvisation.

Maybe also give them each a car to review, and give them a short list of things they HAVE to somehow mention or weave into their review. Like say, Jeremy gets a Volkswagen Passat, and has to somehow make use of a hammer, a toothbrush and some seedy magazine in his review, and also he has to make mention of the Queen of England, Iraq and a telephone booth. They each get points for using their objects and words/phrases in the most entertaining and clever way possible, and the judge is some guy from Theatre Sports maybe?

My second idea is of course opposed to my first and unscripted idea. However it should also be totally unscripted in the sense that they do not know what they will say or do until the cameras start rolling, and nobody is going to tell them what to do. If it's a disaster, it will be hilarious at least for just being a disaster!

Anybody like where this idea is going?

For a special, they have been to the pole - how about the centre of the sahara vs hammond on camels.

other ideas include a race across Russia, something involving thick jungle, robot wars with cars, another smooth ride test involving a pickup and a clay pigeon shooter, tug of wars.

Maybe also give them each a car to review, and give them a short list of things they HAVE to somehow mention or weave into their review. Like say, Jeremy gets a Volkswagen Passat, and has to somehow make use of a hammer, a toothbrush and some seedy magazine in his review, and also he has to make mention of the Queen of England, Iraq and a telephone booth. They each get points for using their objects and words/phrases in the most entertaining and clever way possible, and the judge is some guy from Theatre Sports maybe?
+1

Last edited: