What's that song...sadness.

Jon Michael

Car(s)
1995 Lancer GSR and a Saturn...lol
I love Top Gear, and have been watching it for a while. Recently, I noticed that most all of it is on Netflix and have been going through and watching all my favourites again. Numerous times I have jumped online to try and hunt down the soundtrack list used in episodes, and of course that led me to this brilliant forum. As I searched the songs and downloaded them I was so happy...but, then I also got confused. Some of the songs were different. At first, I thought maybe I was just crazy or that they had looped parts of the song over so it seemed different. But, some were just plain different. I searched online for a reason, and eventually found out about the whole bbc tv music licensing system and how versions on iTunes/Netflix/other video services had to have the music changed. Some of the changes are meh, like the stock heroic military music. But, other changes were just as great as the original music. But, sadly that means that a good chunk of music I am hopelessly trying to find isn't listed anywhere here.

I know I'm new to the forum, and as such may be overstepping myself. But, does anyone else think that maybe the music sections should be updated to also list the "online" versions timing and songs? As it is now, it's not really any good for people who don't get to see the original BBC tv version of the show. And, for some these new versions are the only versions they will be able to see. I know it's a large task, and is just as difficult as it was scouring the internet for the original broadcasted music information. But, with some of the amazingly skilled music detectives on here, I know it could eventually be done.

Is that a really bad idea? Let me know, honestly.

It's not a bad idea per se, the problem is just that the libraries for royalty-free music are vast and not as well-known as the pop songs/blockbuster soundtracks used in the "original" TV airings.

That means that apart from one or two trailer music buffs with a professional background in film editing no one on this forum will be of any help in putting together the list.

Yeah, I sadly thought that would be the case, too. Also, the amount of time it would just take to go over all the seasons again in a huge lump, instead of spread out like when they originally aired...it's just so much all at the same time. I've had some luck tracking down a few of the new songs, but that was just luck on my part.

You know, if the segment of music is long enough and you have a smart phone you can easily use one of the many 'find what song is playing' apps. Apps like Soundhound or Shazam are free and great for identifying them. So yea, if you are absolutely stumped as to what the song is and you have a smartphone, then do that.

This task is what Shazam was made for!

I've tried Shazam multiple times on Top Gear but I've never had it work due to, I think, Jeremy talking or squealing tires in the background. It just throws it all off. :(

Jon, please try a program called 'Tunatic'. you can play a song and it'll try and identify it. i've had some success with it. it's free too. http://www.wildbits.com/tunatic/

Most of these apps need a good few seconds of just the music, as jsausley said, you often don't get that.
It would be interesting to see if it *does* find any "generic" music though- I personally think it's unlikely but feel free to prove me wrong! :D

guys i am new here and by reading this post i am curious about what happened to this idea next... can anyone tell me?