What's the nicest thing a stranger's ever done for you?

A man once decided NOT to get his rifle and kill me when he learned that I was dating his daughter.

Well, at least she told me that this was his first instinct when she told him about me. :D

Related : If your dates dad is the head of the local green party DO NOT show up in a rusted, smoking, V8, 15 year old Ford truck.

I asked someone to help me jump start my truck last winter after I went into the store and bought a set of booster cables. He said no and speed walked away.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. One time, I left my parking lights on like a boss last year and my battery died in the campus garage. One of my friend's had his truck in the same garage, but he couldn't move the car very quickly, some girls and a some guy helped push me into jumper cable range of my friend's truck. I owe them some beers if they ever find me again :p

I got lost in the woods while camping as a little kid. I think I was about 7 or something. After wandering around for a long time I happened to find a road (am I lucky or what?). A couple driving past in their car stopped and offered me a ride. I said no, I don't get in cars with strangers, so they offered to walk me up the road. Several cars before this nice couple had just driven right by me without so much as a glance.

A decent amount of people hold doors open for me.

Then again, I do that quite a lot so that would probably contribute to that.

Ended up having several people stop to try and help me get the flat tyre off my car. One of the wheel nuts would not budge. Became a bit of a "come and try your strength" competition in the end. I think about 6 or 7 people had a go. One young guy was convinced I'd superglued it and this was a candid camera setup. Thank heavens for heavyset bikers in big boots with good upper body strength.

Ended up having several people stop to try and help me get the flat tyre off my car. One of the wheel nuts would not budge. Became a bit of a "come and try your strength" competition in the end. I think about 6 or 7 people had a go. One young guy was convinced I'd superglued it and this was a candid camera setup. Thank heavens for heavyset bikers in big boots with good upper body strength.

Hattest Du kein Engl?nder dabei? (The german speaking people will know what I am talking about, but I just love the double meaning of it :p)

:lol:

[IceBone]
It's "keinen", not "kein".
[/IceBone]

I once was hiking with my dad and brother as a kid, maybe around 7 or 8 and we were up in the mountains. I sprained my ankle pretty badly and we were like 3-4 miles up the trail. My dad would have had to carry all the way down the trail on his back if it wasn't for this guy who came up and examined my ankle. He did something to it, I have no idea to this day what, but I was able to walk down the mountain. He could have been a doctor, chiropractor, podiatrist, massage therapist, or shaman healer for all I know but my ankle felt good enough to walk on after I was in excruciating pain just minutes earlier.

What's the nicest thing a "stranger" has done for me?

Jack me off and made me feel good.

http://img145.imageshack.**/img145/931/img04403000u.jpg

images

:lol:

[IceBone]
It's "keinen", not "kein".
[/IceBone]
I subscribe to the Tramp Abroad theory of German. It's "over described" :tease:

(Aber ja, ich weiss. Ich mache einfach nicht so viel M?he mit der Grammatik jetzt, da die Schweizer ihre eigene "ganz besondere" Sprache* haben.)

There, and I didn't even mention the war!

Oh bother.

* Or dialect, je nachdem.

i was horribly ill, had to go to the hospital, but a couple of dicks boxed my car in. so i walked a mile down the street. afterwards, i had a prescription i needed to fill out, but couldn't work up the strength to get to the pharmacy, so i just sat down on the sidewalk in front of the hospital. the nurse who had checked me in saw me, and offered to take me to the pharmacy then drove me home.

Strangers have done many nice things for me, but the most prominent memory I have is of an act of kindness to both my mother and me. I was about 12. My mother and I were driving home from visiting my grandmother for Christmas. We were on an empty 2-lane highway in what seemed like the middle of nowhere when a slow leak in the back right tire finally caught up with us. It was late and a blizzard was hitting the area pretty hard. We drove for another minute or two when we saw a house up a long driveway with its porch light on. My mother nursed the car (an '88 Dodge Aries K, for those who are interested) up to the top of the drive. Neither my mother nor I knew how to properly change a tire, so she knocked on the door and explained our situation to a man who seemed to be in his fifties (if I had to guess). He put on his coat and stepped out, took a look at the flat and asked if we had a spare. We dug the donut out of the trunk. He jacked up the car and changed the tire for us. I remember my mother pulled out her wallet offering to pay the man for his help and he refused. He simply said, "Do something nice for someone else." The next week my mother saw a man in a grocery store parking lot with a dead battery and offered up her K-car for a boost. Debt paid, I suppose.

We've driven that same route many times since, and we've never been able to figure out which house we stopped at. So, wherever you are sir, thank you for changing our tire.

Strangers have done many nice things for me, but the most prominent memory I have is of an act of kindness to both my mother and me. I was about 12. My mother and I were driving home from visiting my grandmother for Christmas. We were on an empty 2-lane highway in what seemed like the middle of nowhere when a slow leak in the back right tire finally caught up with us. It was late and a blizzard was hitting the area pretty hard. We drove for another minute or two when we saw a house up a long driveway with its porch light on. My mother nursed the car (an '88 Dodge Aries K, for those who are interested) up to the top of the drive. Neither my mother nor I knew how to properly change a tire, so she knocked on the door and explained our situation to a man who seemed to be in his fifties (if I had to guess). He put on his coat and stepped out, took a look at the flat and asked if we had a spare. We dug the donut out of the trunk. He jacked up the car and changed the tire for us. I remember my mother pulled out her wallet offering to pay the man for his help and he refused. He simply said, "Do something nice for someone else." The next week my mother saw a man in a grocery store parking lot with a dead battery and offered up her K-car for a boost. Debt paid, I suppose.

We've driven that same route many times since, and we've never been able to figure out which house we stopped at. So, wherever you are sir, thank you for changing our tire.

Ahh, sounds like you met the legendary Ghost tire changer and his dissapearing house. :p

Ahh, sounds like you met the legendary Ghost tire changer and his dissapearing house. :p

I know, sounds like a scene from a bad horror movie, doesn't it?

Once I was in Vancouver for an a festival. Now this was in high school when I was rather involved in the music program. Anyways, my friend and I had to take a bus to a venue, being new to the city (and the concept of public transportation,) I got the gist of the route and then proceeded to pass out on the trip to the event (I have insomnia, so some nights I can't sleep.) About what must of 45 minutes later my friend taps me on the shoulder for our stop. So I drowsily stumble out of the bus.

When I get out, I look around and quickly realize this is no transfer location, we're in the middle of a residential neighbourhood.

My friend and I briefly discuss the options we have, only to be interrupted by a young Columbian lady who was looking at a townhouse. It turns out she is no interested due to the high price of houses in the local neighbourhood. Near the end of conversation we bring up the fact that we are lost to a extent and have a performance in a neighbouring city in about 45 minutes. Calmly she agrees to go out of her way to give us a ride there.

Long story short, we took a 20km drive to get us there on time, with lovely conversation the whole way.

Perhaps it wasn't the safest thing to do in hindsight, but without her we would have been stuck there for hours (we were dropped off of the last bus.)