What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

We have one of these

$_35.JPG

Amazing pieces of machinery.

I'm starting flying lessons again next week so why not upgrade some of my equipment?

Noral Advanced Plus flight bag replacing a small camera bag I was using before. It was pricey but this thing is nice! And it looks great in gray.
13-00251.jpg

Smith & Wesson Galaxy 12. I need a flashlight that's not too bright and has at least a red light. This one should be perfect.
7152-rothco-smith-wesson-galaxy-12-bulb-led-flashlight.jpg

And some covers for my David Clark headset to make it much more comfy:
1855.jpg

And a foam mic cover to replace the old and busted one on there.

Went to Ikea today for some stuff since I just moved into my condo here.

Got a Kolon (plastic thing for the floor so the chair doesn't scrape the parquet)
kolon-floor-protector__0292207_PE425129_S4.JPG

Fortrolig
fortrolig-jar-with-lid__0240561_PE380202_S4.JPG

Hampdan Pillow with a Kungsmynta thing and a Somnig thing :D
hampdan-pillow-softer__0311346_PE407276_S4.JPG

Nordby tray (white)
nordby-bed-tray-red__0138933_PE298853_S4.JPG

Rajtan (just to try out, might get more if my wife needs them)
rajtan-spice-jar-gray__19625_PE104932_S4.JPG

Projs desk pad for my new desk
projs-desk-pad-white__12634_PE074875_S4.JPG

Bekant Desk in Birch Veneer top/White feet
bekant-corner-desk-right-white__0313028_PE513495_S4.JPG

Of course they had only 1 piece left in Birch and it was damaged, so I have to wait a week for new stock to arrive and go collect it. #fwp

And finally some Mula toys, just because. I figure my kid can play with them whenever she is older :p
mula-shape-sorter-assorted-colors__0106667_PE255046_S4.JPG

mula-stacking-rings-assorted-colors__26095_PE111081_S4.JPG

Really really run that IKEA table through it's paces. I work in commercial furniture, and sell hundreds of height-adjustable tables. A designer asked us to provide these IKEA tables for their cost-sensitive client. Before I did, I needed to vouch for the product so I went to a store to check them out. Besides that fact that they racked terribly (wobbled side-to-side, especially at full extension...but might be acceptable for home use), the mechanism of tables actually seemed to be grinding themselves away. Every one of them had a dark pile of fine metal dust/shavings on the foot, surrounding the post. I mean...they have a warranty, but it still made me nervous.

Edit: never mind...it's not their electric height-adjustable table. Carry on. :)

Their what now? :blink: I've never even heard of such a thing being on sale at IKEA.

It's new this year from the product that they came out with to replace the Gallant, which was used by start-ups all over the US. Many companies use sit-to-stand tables as recruitment tools, showing that they are willing to spend money for their employees' ergomonic health. IKEA is going to sell billions of them to small companies. It was a very smart move.

It has decent specs as far as range, weight capacity and warranty...but it did not feel solid.

Fiskars X27

122500-Splitting-Axe-X27.jpg

Modeka Track II

przewiewny_strech_miedzy_palcami.jpg

Last edited:
Stopped in at a Salvation Army store on a whim and got SSX 3 and the PS2 version of SpyHunter for 2 bucks each.

Yes, I can. Should I ?

I hope I will at least like mine, because it was expensive...

That is up to you. How do you intend on using it? Is this for an occasional use, or are you splitting wood to heat the house?

I like a lot of Fiskars products, but not the axes so much. I know they are fairly cheap and light, but I really don't like the vibrations you get in the handle. I also don't like that you can't repair the handle.

I am looking at one of these.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/axes-pruning-saws/wood-splitting-axe-large/

But, lust for one of these. (Finnish Axe, among others)

http://www.johnneeman.com/en/tools/axes

I am also looking at buying old axe heads and repairing them.

So, small update on the mountain of lightbulbs I bought a little while ago. Last weekend I got up to the house for family meetings and had a chance to start changing out the bulbs. I ended up changing 114 before I ran out of the types needed, final count afterward shows there are 57 left to change, so I managed to get 2/3 of them. In fact the house is brighter inside after the change, whether it's due to the use of more appropriate bulbs in the fixtures or some advantage the LEDs have over incandescents in a log house (the wood seems to eat up light and make darker inside) or just the bulbs being brighter I'm not sure, but myself and the family there (30+ of them) all agree it looks much better after the change.

Somehow I forgot to take pictures at night, so here's one during the day:

I also got a chance to calculate some usage- before the old bulbs were drawing just over 6200 watts when in use, new ones draw just over 1080 watts, so we're seeing just over 82% less energy usage from switching out those bulbs. Fantastic. Assuming these bulbs hold up in the long run things will be very nice in the future.

Also, if I had a twitter I'd post this and call out Ikea- the bulbs are great, the packaging is a nightmare.

Retail packaging in general is a pain and waste.

I also got a chance to calculate some usage- before the old bulbs were drawing just over 6200 watts when in use, new ones draw just over 1080 watts, so we're seeing just over 82% less energy usage from switching out those bulbs. Fantastic. Assuming these bulbs hold up in the long run things will be very nice in the future.

Do you use all 6200W/1080W all the time or is that a theoretical maximum? How many hours of what percentage of those figures are you looking at per year, and how much is a kWh over there?

I hope I will at least like mine, because it was expensive...

How expensive? It's like $50 on Amazon, which is pretty darn cheap for a decent axe. It's got a lifetime warranty, so if you somehow manage to break the handle they give you a new one. The next step up is generally the Husqvarna 2800 which is shorter and twice the price of the X27.

Last edited: