What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

Six doughnuts, deodorant and a toothbrush

So how do the bees know they live with you now? What makes them come back to your hives and not some other hive?

Also, I hope your neighbors aren't near!

The queen comes in a smaller cage with a cork holding her in. I exchange the cork for some marshmallow so it slows down her getting out. In the meantime the other bees are already building honeycomb and making home ready for the brood(eggs) and pollen/ nectar.

Sorry for the bad pic, but my camera died right after this one.

This is the queem cage and you can see a bit of the marshmallow on top. The bees will have her out in the next 12 - 24 hours. By then they will have built some honeycomb to set up housekeeping.

queen-cage-3580.JPG

30oz bag of these delicious things.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/05/14/MMs-Pretzel-FREE-Sample.png

Got a little bag today. Damn. These things are even better than I imagined. Wow.

3136118632_8c6f2f54e9.jpg

I bought a graduation present for myself. Sterling silver, gold, and rhodium; so elegant! Can't wait for it to arrive! :D

Sorry for the bad pic, but my camera died right after this one.

This is the queem cage and you can see a bit of the marshmallow on top. The bees will have her out in the next 12 - 24 hours. By then they will have built some honeycomb to set up housekeeping.

queen-cage-3580.JPG

You should send me some honey.

I always have honey in my oats for breakfast.

Books, groceries and dinner. Tomorrow will be tyre repair and a new tyre iron.

A few books, because I won the Design and Technology prize at school (Prize is money, which you have to spend on books which you then hand in to the shcool so they are 'presented' to you at prizegiving). I got:
'Essential Communication Strategies: For Scientists, Engineers, and Technology Professionals', H Hirsch
'The New Science of Strong Materials: Or Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor', J E Gordon

I also ordered 1984 (just to have it as one order - I won't give this in to be presented with) as I haven't actually read it yet :eek:

You should send me some honey.

I always have honey in my oats for breakfast.

You would be better off finding a local beekeeper. Or ask at the smaller grocery stores in your area, some carry locally made honey.

I hear local honey can help you fight seasonal allergies since it's made using the pollen that makes your nose itch. Of course, that sounds largely like new age hippie bullshit, but who knows, it could be true.

I hear local honey can help you fight seasonal allergies since it's made using the pollen that makes your nose itch. Of course, that sounds largely like new age hippie bullshit, but who knows, it could be true.

I never had allergies till I moved up here. Eating local honey does seem to help some but it could be placebo effect.

?30 of diesel today, how dull.

I never had allergies till I moved up here. Eating local honey does seem to help some but it could be placebo effect.

There's no scientific proof of that.

I agree that there is no scientific proof, but can it hurt? Probably not. Has it really been studied? I have not a clue. So go enjoy some if you like it.

Edit: The real reason to get honey from a beekeeper IMHO is taste. Honey loses a ton of flavor when pasturized.

Last edited:
maunsellbeard2.jpg

GRtak, tomorrow.

Hey, I like some honey in tea (can't stand it on bread) and I always buy local honey, just so I can give the struggling local bee farmers some business, I'm just saying there's no scientific proof that local honey prevents forest fires... erm... seasonal allergies! It would be kinda logical, as it contains pollen from local vegetation and would allow your body to build up an immunity.

When I was a child the summer camp had the most heavenly PB/honey mixture. I've never found anything remotely like it since.

You would be better off finding a local beekeeper. Or ask at the smaller grocery stores in your area, some carry locally made honey.

Yeah, the local grocery stores just carry the "big brand" honeys. Not too sure there is any locally made honey around my area, but it would be worth looking.

Got any farmers' markets in town? They're a good place to get local stuff, including honey.

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches are tasty. Put the honey on one slice of bread first. That allows it to crystallize while you put the peanut butter on the other slice.

Yeah I do that when I have good honey on hand. Lots of farmer's markets around here and my boss's father is actually a bee keeper.