What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

rdoryaoev1nneeft2sjz.jpg

It's about 3/8" wider than my el-cheap-o woven straps I normally use. Combined with the suede, this thing does not move on my shoulder.

I really like that both ends are pretty narrow, so it easily wraps around the neck heel from that under-the-heel strap button that Taylor uses. Not bad for only $49-ish. I thought black would be the safest bet, but the embroidered logo is in silver. Might try to color it beige/gold.

I like the strap so much that I sent a recommendation to the store that sold me the guitar that they should carry them in their store.

Do you use all 6200W/1080W all the time or is that a theoretical maximum? How many hours of what percentage of those figures are you looking at per year, and how much is a kWh over there?

No, that's just the maximum when all the lights were on at once. In reality that happens rarely, usually it would just be the great room and kitchen lights on, perhaps with just a few of the bedroom+bathroom lights on. More realistically it's going to be 60-70% or so of that at once in the evenings and at night. No idea on how long that use would be though, we don't have someone living in the house all the time, it's mostly parties and events and some occasional use during the week. The electrical rates I know though, because it's a rural house in a co-op for electrical service and we don't have someone living there full time we get classed under commercial rates, which are horrendous at 79? kWh (at my apartment I'm paying 9.6? kWh). Math came out to ~$4.90/hour for all the lights before, 89?/hour after, so a major difference. The lights left to change out are mostly in closets, the master bedroom wing, and outdoor porch lights, so they all see lesser use than the ones I changed. It's not going to be a super huge reduction of costs from what I changed out so far, but it will be good and noticeable.

Last edited:
If in reality you're down by $2/h during the evening/morning hours while the house is in use, you'd easily pay off several bulbs a day... so one year of occasional use might pay off the entire load. To cross-check, what's the annual electricity bill before?

Annual? Don't know. Last month was just over $600. That does include electric water heaters and heating though, in a fairly cold winter month. I'll find out in a few months how much of an impact it's making.

Electric heating does indeed impact things (no wood-based heating?), so you'll need to do year-over-year comparisons.
Water heaters shouldn't be too bad, your old lightbulbs likely used more over time unless all you guys did was hot showers :rolleyes:

4x Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs for the Jag.
attachment.php

Attachments

• su_htr_ziii_ci2_l.jpg
    su_htr_ziii_ci2_l.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 30
just ordered a set of mats for the new car... because apparently, it's an optional extra to have ANY :? well, whatever...
also, the saxonian dealer the car ended up coming from has the fugliest dealer plate holders of all time. so... those have to go. ordered myself a set of very minimalistic thingies for very little money. couldn't remember where danrom got the finalgear ones from, but i like the minimalist look more, i think. don't worry, i still have vinyls to stick in a window :D

A shoe!

ec631514_walnut_01705.jpg

Altough the picture doesn't show it they were kind enough to throw in one for my left foot as well. Very comfy!

Ecco 631514, colour 01705 (Walnut)

Ecco are my favorite shoes for the office, but I can only do the ones that have the even-more expensive sole material than their less expensive lines.

Last edited:

Two LPs.

*checks photo* *reads post*

Huh? Wouldn't the tool designed for brake bleeding be built to survive the characteristics that brake fluid is made of?

Brake fluid is nasty stuff. To make it brake fluid proof would probably triple the costs and make it a pain to maintain. There is a canister that is easy to overflow and it doesn't take much in the hose to work it's way to the pump.

Yup, and that's what happened to the last one. Obviously the PVC frame is impervious to brake fluid, but the metal parts inside were not made to be exposed to brake fluid. I could rebuild the one I already have, the kit is $14-20, but this one was listed on CL for $20 and I can use it immediately instead of spending a few hours doing a rebuild.

On purpose?
:D Yep. Bob Wills is a legend who has been a major influence to artists as unlikely as Fats Domino or Bob Dylan. And the other one is a field recording of Appalacian coal mining songs, which range from bluegrass to blues and tell stories about mining accidents, black lung and unionizing.