What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

To my knowledge, a personal ID is enough and a passport is only necessary when you travel to a place outside Schengen.

Personal ID might be a valid travel document, sure. It needs to state nationality at least. So for example, driver's license isn't.

To my knowledge, a personal ID is enough and a passport is only necessary when you travel to a place outside Schengen.
Not even then - e.g for Turkey the German ID is enough. UK and Switzerland probably recognize all national documentation from EU countries...

Help!

I'm looking for a gift for my "bro". He loves coffee, wine, strong liquor(whiskey etc.) and is opening up to fashion(though I'd prefer not buying him clothes).
He is planning on studying computer science, maybe JavaScript books or something like that?

I have a decanter in mind, but is that too much/too little/useless?

So it's not off-topic I bought a gift for my girlfriend

DSC_2518-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Free sunglasses, Oakley Conductor 6 with Ice iridium polarized lens:

Not free slippers, Sorel Falcon Ridge (damn I feel old buying these):

Yeah...

A Kyosho Scorpion XXL VE

I felt i needed a project so i bought it used.
I'll probably upgrade it to a 8s lipo capable motor once i have solved how to get the diff to not explode.

Kettle borked itself yesterday so we took advantage of the Boxing Day Sales/Offers bagged this baby for ?40 instead of ?80.

u_10148152.jpg

If you own a stove, why not get a kettle meant for a stove? Why get another item to sit on the counter?

He likes that ribbed handle?

If you own a stove, why not get a kettle meant for a stove? Why get another item to sit on the counter?

I understand your scepticism, living as you do in a country that still has top loading washing machines, cars with leaf springs and hasn't yet convicted Bill Cosby so.....

1. A modern kettle is far quicker and more energy efficient. (This boils water for a single cup in about 45 seconds).
2. It means someone else can make a hot drink without getting on the way of someone else who may be cooking.
3. Stove top kettles are far more likely to cause burns or scalding injuries.
4. We built an Empire on tea and "putting the kettle on" is a Great British tradition.

Do you have a drip coffee maker? You could use that for hot water. That's actually why I haven't gotten a tea kettle myself.

That only produces hot water (not boiling - yes, there is a difference) and takes ages. I rather go the other way: get rid of the shitty coffee maker and use a french press with the same kettle that is used for tea.

edit: also, I have the feeling you hate electric kettles for some reason :p

Last edited:
Do you have a drip coffee maker? You could use that for hot water. That's actually why I haven't gotten a tea kettle myself.

No because...

That only produces hot water (not boiling - yes, there is a difference) and takes ages. I rather go the other way: get rid of the shitty coffee maker and use a french press with the same kettle that is used for tea.

I have not only a small French Press but also one of these...

61ANfoaXD%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Not only do I get fresh coffee made in moments but if it is made at 6.30 I am still sipping hot fresh coffee at my desk two hours later.

The only downside is that it is too big to go in the single cupholder in the Win-biza but I solved that problem by using an empty cardboard cup from Costa as an adapter. :D

edit: also, I have the feeling you hate electric kettles for some reason :p

Because there are so many other things in the kitchen that could get the job done. To me, having an electric kettle is about as useful as a quesadilla maker. Sure, there's special machines for to handle these tasks but, why waste money on these items when you already have the tools to do it?

Well, for one, boiling water can be used for quite a lot more than a quesadilla, I'd say. I'm a big fan of reducing unneeded clutter from the kitchen, too, but a kettle is something I would consider very much essential - much more so than a coffee machine for example :dunno: But I guess this has a lot to do with what kind of habits you have and how you use your kitchen.

Water for making coffee should not be boiled, that's why coffee makers only heat water. If you are making tea, the water should be boiled for at least a minute then left to cool to 85c to get rid of the dissolved oxygen and to not burn the tea leaves.