What's your most expensive car?

$3,000 cash, while working 15 hours a week making $7.50 an hour. I don't feel like doing the math.

Last car I purchased was a 1994 Acura Integra, based on my income this year (paid for it this year too) it comes to about 8% :D I'd rather wait and buy a car I really want then get stuck in payments for something mediocre.

I'd rather wait and buy a car I really want then get stuck in payments for something mediocre.

Uh, what? It's usually the opposite. For example my car's fuel pump died a few weeks a go. I wondered what I could get if my car failed catastrophically. So I was thinking I could get another piece of crap for less than 10 thousand, or I could make car payments on a car worth many times that.

Yeah, I got myself "stuck in payments" but it sure as hell wasn't something mediocre!

Lotus cost me about 80% of my net income. Which sounds insane (and probably is), but then it was mostly funded by selling a VW Golf, which I inherited.

My Camry's final price before down payment and trade in was 83% of my gross income. I financed it for 75 months so the payments are low, however, the car is still worth more than what I owe the bank because of the large amount of money I put down from trade in and down payment.

At the time I bought it, my RX8 was 70% of my gross income (same job and pay), but it was purchased used and the Camry was purchased New.

Lotus cost me about 80% of my net income. Which sounds insane (and probably is), but then it was mostly funded by selling a VW Golf, which I inherited.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it?

I bought a 3000GT VR4 which was $450/mo car payment and insurance was $250/mo = $700/mo and I was only making $1200 after taxes. What's that like 60%?

Ouch! :blink:

Mine would have to be my Stealth TT. After doing the math it came to about 38% but my payments and insurance were no where near that.

45% - Chrysler 300M
60% - Jaguar S-type R (but I got a raise a few months later when I switched jobs and this went down to 45%)

My company paid cash 16,000 GBP for my then new 406 estate it is a special build a one off in the detail. I bought it a few months later for 12,200GBP cash.

Last edited: