What's Your Personal Top Speed?

Fastest as passenger in a car was around 300 in a Diablo yonks ago.
Fastest as driver GPS indicated 232 (slight downhill, slight backwind) in the Saudi on the A93 in Germany.
Don't remember how fast I've gone with the ICE, but I think I remember it being close to 300, so the Diablo still wins.
Doesn't count, but on the way to LA I was happy to see 1000 km/h indicated on the infotainment displays, so that's cool, I guess.

GPS said 157 mph, so 252ish kph, which was just about where the speed limiter kicked in on my 2015 Mustang. This was also clearly on a closed course under supervision of a professional racing driver.

ewZHbmd.png

An indicated ~145mph in my 3000GT VR4. Was pretty terrifying to think looking back considering I had bad tires. Hah!

135 MPH (217km/h or so) on the train from MD to NYC.

W202 C 220 automatic, 207 km/h as a driver, red Scorpio got 195 on my wife's hands once. Haven't driven over like 150km/h in many many years, cannot really afford the ticket or the driving ban that would ensue... <_<

Fastest indicated as a driver was 200km/h in my E200 W124. Which is probably like 180 actual because it's cable driven.

Fastest indicated as a passenger was about 210km/h in an Alfa Romeo 159 JTS 1.9. On the German Autobahn so very much more legal than above.

Oh and I've been on Intercity-Express doing close to 300km/h as well.

Fastest indicated as a driver was 200km/h in my E200 W124. Which is probably like 180 actual because it's cable driven.

Eh, they aren't that far off, and your engine should probably be able to make you go >200 km/h. Try reaching it in 4th gear if you get another chance, I heard the 5th is geared too tall to reach top speed in it ;) Didn't get a chance to try this theory in mine yet, since I only have my 5th gear for three fill ups...

Anyways... My top speed was in the W124, a gps measured 210 km/h, I think the speedo went above 200 too, although I couldn't say for sure because very shortly after reaching top speed, the rear right tire blew up, putting my mind to more troubling problems than the difference between GPS and cable driven speedo :-o

258 km/h indicated in the A5, on a straight and level Autobahn. C-class went 250 indicated, but needed a downhill bit to get there. The MX-5 has only done ~170 so far, and that was frighteningly loud already :)

As for other vehicles that are not aircraft, 320 km/h (indicated) in an ICE3 train between Frankfurt and Munich somewhere.

Last edited:
210 km/h down the main straight of the Bahrain F1 Circuit in a Golf GTI

Thinking about that, that motorcycle top speed was really stupid. :lol:
OK, it was like 3AM no no traffic, but look where I did that:
cmGb3nM.png

Fastest on land: 431 km/h on the Shanghai Maglev.

Fastest while driving: The speed limiter of a Volvo V70R, IIRC, 257 km/h indicated.

If I remember correctly I once did 9km/h on my SV650S.

In reverse :D

Other than that, I did around 210 knots (242 mph, 389kph), GPS verified at the controls of a Beechcraft Baron B55 back when I was still flying.

Last edited:
I remember finding out what the top speed of my Sierra was. 215 indicated. The owners manual claimed 195. Nobody had GPS devices at the time so I have no idea what the actual top speed was.

What I do know is that a 20 valve 1.8 Audi A3 is exactly as fast because I was racing one of those at the time. :p

Eh, they aren't that far off, and your engine should probably be able to make you go >200 km/h. Try reaching it in 4th gear if you get another chance, I heard the 5th is geared too tall to reach top speed in it ;) Didn't get a chance to try this theory in mine yet, since I only have my 5th gear for three fill ups...

Anyways... My top speed was in the W124, a gps measured 210 km/h, I think the speedo went above 200 too, although I couldn't say for sure because very shortly after reaching top speed, the rear right tire blew up, putting my mind to more troubling problems than the difference between GPS and cable driven speedo :-o

It's a 4-speed Automatic. None of the facelift W124 here were sold with a Manual. I would definitely love another 2 cylinder, 1.2-litre of displacement and some odd 100hp. :p

145 kmh indicated as passanger. late 80s, red VAZ2105. car was filled to the roof, dad, mom, 4 children and as many bags as possible.
13x kmh indicated as driver. around 2005, in sweden. slight hill, it was the vehicles top speed. also filled with as many things as could fit inside.

Cars only for me, don't care what the trains did.

Indicated 272kph in the M5, GPS 262. That's on public road. Multiple indicated 26x in many other cars. Indicated 175mph on track in a 12C (after being told to not exceed 120 -lolwut).

The cars I go fast in don't tend to have speedometers that work.

I imagine the top would have been the 65 Fairlane at Sebring. No traffic, and dat straightaway.

Well, doze straightaways. There are two that are fast.

Last edited:
Cars only for me, don't care what the trains did.

Indicated 272kph in the M5, GPS 262. That's on public road. Multiple indicated 26x in many other cars. Indicated 175mph on track in a 12C (after being told to not exceed 120 -lolwut).

No limiter on the M5? Nice.

No limiter on the M5? Nice.

It is limited. It is just a bit slow to realize and not all that accurate. It kicks in somewhere between (indicated) 265 and whenever it feels like it indicated. It just kills power. Highest as mentioned so far was 272 indicated which were iirc 262 GPS. Got a screengrab of that somewhere, but I cba right now. May have been 260,2... not sure but 26x definitely, making the 250 kph limiter still pretty inaccurate, and the instruments surprisingly accurate for the speed. That is merely ~4% at top speed..

Last edited: