Where Have You Met TG Fans?

Most of my other buddies make fun of me for watching "those British shows" :lol:

Fools!
I know what that's like. My friends think I'm crazy that I'm into this stuff :(

*hopes for a Top Gear fan for a roommate next year*

Never in the flesh. Only via the internets. :(

^Yeah, but Maine's pretty far from civilization :p. I've met a few FGers at local car shows, but never met any TG fans out of the blue.

Please tell me the qPCR is the one named after James!

Well, no, actually, the qPCR machine is the Stig. However, we're planning to order a 7500 Fast this fall, which will obviously need to be named Stig, and we'll have to rename the old one. Dunno what, though.

Anyway, what would make the qPCR machine especially appropriate for James? I feel like I haven't gotten a joke somewhere....

Holy cow, Spicysaurus, I work in a PCR lab as well, however my co-workers would look at me like I had two heads if I suggested we name our thermal cyclers after the TGs.

Well, actually... someone had originally named our thermalcyclers "Larry", "Moe", and "Curly", but that was just too boring for words, so one day I just changed all the labels. Luckily, it went over well. :)

My lab isn't even the nerdiest on site. The lab next door has named absolutely everything in it after roleplaying games. Even the lamps.

Back in college I worked residence hall tech support with a dude that liked Top Gear. I was still downloading old seasons since I had just found a way to get around our schools bandwidth cap and he showed me this site. Now I can rely on quality rips released in a timely manner :)

I have yet to meet another person IRL that has ever heard of Top Gear.

Anyway, what would make the qPCR machine especially appropriate for James? I feel like I haven't gotten a joke somewhere....

The q is for quantitative yes? Can you think of a single presenter who more embodies the concept of quantitative anything more than James May? Clearly bad joke though. :p

Last edited:
I overheard one "hip/cool" guy on the subway talk about it a few weeks ago... but he knew like nothing ... couldn't describe the presenters or knew their names... thought it was in it's 16th season.... and on top of all being a poser like he was not someone I'd like to befriend even if he likes topgear.

But alot of my friends watch it.

The q is for quantitative yes? Can you think of a single presenter who more embodies the concept of quantitative anything more than James May? Clearly bad joke though. :p

I guess I'm much too bogged down in the science itself. qPCR (or real-time PCR) serves a completely different function from traditional PCR. I was thinking only in terms of what's accomplished, rather than the fact that qPCR quantifies something.

So, to counter, I suggest a traditional thermalcycler is more like James, because it builds something useful.

[/science]:mrgreen:

we're planning to order a 7500 Fast this fall, which will obviously need to be named Stig, and we'll have to rename the old one.

Fresh Stig

Oh, and I just found out recently that a lady who works where I do watches Top Gear.:cool:

I was talking about the show to some of my friends in my Illustration class last semester, and soon found out that my teacher had watched the show! How unexpected! It was an easy topic to get onto since I was also drawing cars in class... I ended up suggesting episodes to her since she hadn't seen all that much of it.

Most of my friends who watch now were converted by me. The list now includes my younger brothers (both of them. one is 15 and one is 5), my mom, my 16 year old cousin in AZ, and about half of my friends. LOL.

I'd like to get around to some car shows and see if anyone there knows about it and is maybe here on FG?

Similarly, I found out last summer that the owner of the decorative hardware store I worked at is a total comic book geek. We spent a few hour one really slow day talking about the continuity of all the new Marvel movies. I am a geek of everything!

Last edited:
I meet a lot of people who like top gear. Mainly at Auto-x's. It seems like everyone in our sports car club loves it!

I've met some FG members (aka TG fans) IRL at a meet.
Also I met some at my university SAE team, but they were ehhh.....

Just saw a guy at HAR 2009 wearing a "I am The Stig's fat cousin" t-shirt.

I?ve never met anybody who likes Top Gear
Maybe I should wear a TG or FG tshirt, to attract the fans (because I know they are somewhere :shifty:)

I?ve never met anybody who likes Top Gear
Maybe I should wear a TG or FG tshirt, to attract the fans (because I know they are somewhere :shifty:)

I may start doing that too. I now a bunch of TG fans, but mostly the ones I hang out with were converted by me... Apparently my old roommate, who I though HATED TG because she had to put up with my constantly watching and talking about it, wants to catch up when she gets back here in a few days.

Um... Ok... When did this happen?:blink:

She's seen the light, apparently! :D

I haven't actually met any Top Gear fans that weren't already my friends, but a while ago I had a picture of the guys set as my desktop and one of the tech guys at my school recognized James from his wine show. We had this really awesome awkward moment of, "Wow, we're really nerdy to be so enthusiastic about such a strange and obscure subject matter...." It was fantastic.