which car would you rather have?

which car would you rather have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What is wrong with plastic? The car in your avatar has a plastic body. Both it and the Corvette are reinforced plastic resin bodies, the difference is in the reinforcement material. In the real world, where repairs have to be made occasionally, the glass reinforced plastic is actually a BETTER material than the carbon reinforced plastic.

Zonda had never use plastic the using the same stuff what the SLR has made of
carbon fibre it strong and light so no extra weight has been added to slower the pagani down

Zonda had never use plastic the using the same stuff what the SLR has made of
carbon fibre it strong and light so no extra weight has been added to slower the pagani down

Carbon fiber is carbon reinforced plastic resin. Carbon fiber is a cloth by itself with no structural ability, It HAS to be encased in plastic resin to function. CF is simply what reinforces the plastic in the bodywork of the Zonda, just like Silica based glass fibers are what reinforces the plastic in the bodywork of the Corvette.

I really don't think you know much about the materials in cars.

What is wrong with plastic? The car in your avatar has a plastic body. Both it and the Corvette are reinforced plastic resin bodies, the difference is in the reinforcement material. In the real world, where repairs have to be made occasionally, the glass reinforced plastic is actually a BETTER material than the carbon reinforced plastic.

Aren't carbon fiber body panels more prone to cracking/shattering than fiberglass? If it's not structural, I can see why fiberglass would be better here.

Also, Viper. Because V10.

Aren't carbon fiber body panels more prone to cracking/shattering than fiberglass?

Carbon fiber has great tensile strength, so along the dirction of the cloth, it's ultra-strong and light. But perpendicular to the cloth, as in teh direction that an object might hit a body panel, it's extremely brittle. The resin will give it strength, but it's really not the greatest for bump protection. The best is a kevlar/S glass composite, with the S glass fiberglass as the top layer for smoothness and the kevlar under it for strength. Almost as strong as CF in tension, but vastly stronger for bump/dent protection, though the resulting composite ends up being a bit heavier than CF. It's still lighter than pure fiberglass, however.

none?

I'd rather pick a good 2nd hand sportscar.

I agree, for a poll, some pretty poor choices here, its like choose the smartest among a group of special needs children, not an easy decision with no clear answer.

After seeing the OP, this topic now makes sense.

Can we have a vetting process when you register? Unfortunately I wouldn't pass it... which would make alot of people happy.

I've always been a Camaro fan. If the Masa was the quattro porte or the Gran turismo that would be a different story.

what is a vetting process

I think potential new members of the forums should be put through a series of real world trials held monthly. Could be on a state/regional level so it's not too inconvenient.

Trials should consist of a number of events such as general driving competency, cheap car challenges, mechanical knowledge (blindfolded upper end rebuilds being the main event), and even filmmaking tests. Of course, there should also be a number of quizzes relating to Top Gear and motoring in general. If the prospective member answers general automotive question 139 "Another user asks for input on a new car. You suggest:" with anything other than "Miata", it is an automatic fail and the prospective member will submit to driver license shredding.

Of course, the week-long trial will be capped off with a wheel-to-wheel 24 hour race in beaters. The winner gets instant mod status provided test and event average scores above 80%.

Last edited:
Oh, gosh. I'd fail. - would answer 911, duh.

I would fail on the upper engine rebuild - when I took Shop, overhead valve engines were the norm and OHC engines were exotic. And if you had a FI DOHC engine with 4 valves per cylinder you probably owned a Ferrari.