Which engines are good for high milage?

The Land Rover diesel made when the Discovery was introduced, the 200tdi, and it's successor, the 300tdi will keep going for a few hundred thousand miles with no trouble at all. They just eat the occasional cam belt.

go for simpliest diesel engine you know
dont go for a turbo one because turbos fail and they start to burn the oil....
dont go for a good enginered and stuff diesel witch has sensitive injectors lots of electronics and stuff...(we have diesel hiunday with turbo we got crapy diesel and injectors failed imidiatly...)
i think basic audi (or other german not luxury car )diesel would be a good choice

diesels arent fast but they are cheap to run

and you can buy even cheaper stolen diesel from truckers :p

Last edited:
Ive had really good luck with SBC's, in all kinds of vehicles. You just can't seem to kill that fat, lazy, low revving motor.

dont go for a good enginered and stuff diesel witch has sensitive injectors lots of electronics and stuff...(we have diesel hiunday with turbo we got crapy diesel and injectors failed imidiatly...)

i think basic audi (or other german not luxury car )diesel would be a good choice

Dude, ouch.

Last edited:

Eyes burning.

Ive had really good luck with SBC's, in all kinds of vehicles. You just can't seem to kill that fat, lazy, low revving motor.

Dude, ouch.

As long as you keep them filled with oil they tend to last a very long time. Generally as long as ith as oil the bearings will last longer than the piston rings and I think that's really all you can ask of a motor. Now when it comes to the aftermarketed high performance ones... eh... it's anyone's guess. But anything GM pushed out the door stock will last for ages unless it's got computers attached to it because THOSE will fail.

Another vote for the Jeep I6, and I think there's a lot of merit to the post saying that large-displacement/low output motors will tend to last a lot longer.

Last edited:
so the best thing to have a engine that will last forever is always make sure there is enough oil,dont modify it in anyway and you should be good ?

so the best thing to have a engine that will last forever is always make sure there is enough oil,dont modify it in anyway and you should be good ?

As long as you keep up with maintenance most engines will last a long time. That includes oil, flushing the coolant, changing filters, etc. Also each engine may have required maintenance specific to it.

Pushing an engine hard all the time (think redlining it) and overheating will kill engines prematurely.

Honda vtec engines. The 4 cyl ones. Even the regular ones are fine. and the regular ones are available everywhere.

Honda vtec engines. The 4 cyl ones. Even the regular ones are fine. and the regular ones are available everywhere.

I can support this post. I've got one in a 94 Accord, and the little bastard engine just keeps going, and going, and going... Runs like a top, even with a mere 200k miles on it.

So according to the answers so far, American V8s, Japanese 4pots, german diesels, land rover diesels, volvo 5 cylinders and german 4 cylinders all run forever. No brand loyalty showing, is there?

I don't own a V8, four pot, diesel, or 5 banger.

Basically, well-maintained engines with proven technology are reliable. Bonus points if they're overbuilt or understressed, like iron-block engines with fairly low HP/L ratings.

that mean about every american engine except for well proven technology( still astonished that some american manufacturer are proud to say that their new engine come with DOHC which is a standard feature for every european/japanese motor since well forever)

that mean about every american engine except for well proven technology( still astonished that some american manufacturer are proud to say that their new engine come with DOHC which is a standard feature for every european/japanese motor since well forever)

The key word is proven as in tested and proven reliable.
Older technology that still works well is better proven by default. :p

There were and still are plenty of SOHC Euro/Japanese engines.