Which is the better driving-related birthday present?

HeidiL

Not A Dude
Car(s)
Austin Mini
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

My bloke's 50 next year. Years ago he used to do a bit of rallying in minis, and after I bought mine, made a few noises about wanting to have a go at it again. A friend of mine apparently has enough bits and bobs lying around to help me put together a souped-up rally-ready mini, so I thought that'd make a good pressie.
Other people - who mostly aren't that interested in cars or motorsport - have said I should hire something flash for a few days, but he won't break speed limits, which I can't help thinking would make it a bit pointless, and he's said he'd feel a bit iffy about driving around with a blonde young enough to be his daughter.
The third option would be one of those experience day racing things, as I don't think he'd have a problem with speed *off* the road, but that's just one day, whereas I thought the mini would be something we could do together for a while, and at least it has a resale value if that doesn't happen.
So - what do you lot think? I've got quite a while to sort it out whatever I decide, but I'll have to save up a bit whatever I choose.

Half of the fun in having a racecar is building it. So if you buy him a pile-of-parts nearly ready to race, that would be the coolest.

If he's got the space and tools to put it together himself, then it's all the more satisfying.

Prepare never to see him again though.

Damn, I've been rumbled! He's got nowhere to work on it, though, whereas my friend has his own workshop. I suppose I could buy the bits from him and arrange a weekend or two for us to stay nearby and do the work.

I think that there is no doubt that the Mini would be the best present, but if you can't get that to work out, then I'd go with a racing experience. The flashy car hire seems a bit unimaginative and doesn't seem like his cup of tea based on what you've said.

Anyway, good luck, and I'm sure he'll love whatever you decide on.

Yeah, I thought he'd enjoy that most, but others have said I'm being cheeky and it'd be more a present for me seeing as I'm such a mini obsessive, which is why I thought I'd get some more opinions.

A Simpson Diamondback helmet.

I know I'm eternally boring and practical, but buying someone a car seems to me like it could be a pretty big risk. You're in essence making a pretty big commitment for the other person in terms of maintenance, storage, running cost, taxing, etc, etc, etc. Unless you were REALLY sure that's what he wants, I wouldn't do it (but remember I am a VERY boring person with on sense of adventure or fun). The track day would be my choice.

There is that, but he has a garage which is empty after some git nicked the last bike and I'd probably end up paying the running costs, or he could flog it if he didn't want it.
I suppose what I mostly want is for us to have something to do together, something which I couldn't do with my housemate or a random friend instead.

Half of the fun in having a racecar is building it.

Only if you're insane already. If you're sane when you start to build a race car, by the time you're done you'll have lost your mind.

The trouble with getting him a hire car or even a track day is that will just re-light the old racing flame. He'll want more, so he'll end up getting a car because of it. It would be much better to cut to the chase and get him the car. If he has to do some work on it himself, all the better- he'll respect it more and won't be careless with it since he worked on it.

Oh he wouldn't be careless with it *anyway*. The fact that the last one ended its life upside down in a tree wasn't his fault. The codriver had an 'other left' moment.

My rule is if there are uncertainties to whether or not gift receiver will like the prize, it'd be best to not surprise them.

I think it?s a great idea!:cool:

Damn, I've been rumbled! He's got nowhere to work on it, though, whereas my friend has his own workshop. I suppose I could buy the bits from him and arrange a weekend or two for us to stay nearby and do the work.

No, he will probably need and want to be fettling the damn thing every evening and weekend between now and whenever the rally season starts next year.
If his garage is too small or unsuitable, maybe you could check out nearby workshops for rent so he has somewhere to work on it. (Before going ahead and buying a car.)

Good luck with the project.
Go Team Heidi-Rallysport! (Sponsored by Lego):thumbup: