Who can drive their manual clutchless?

Who can drive their manual clutchless?

• Total voters

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Over the last few months I've learned how to shift my car without the clutch. It was a good way to distract me during my commute and if my clutch goes out the skill allows me to limp my car to safety.

How many here have also learned this?

I did in my Jeep. I can do 1-2-3-4-5 no problem, and even down 5-4-3-2. I dare not try to drop into first on a roll clutchless though.

I refuse to do clutchless shifting as it will probably kill your synchros. Plus without a legitimate reason to why bother?

I refuse to do clutchless shifting as it will probably kill your synchros. Plus without a legitimate reason to why bother?

It only kills your synchros if you don't rev match. I downshift so much, I know what revs it needs to be at, and it just glides into gear.

It only kills your synchros if you don't rev match. I downshift so much, I know what revs it needs to be at, and it just glides into gear.

Yep. Synchros are for people who don't know how to shift. If you shift properly you will never wear them out.

Yes, but the point of that bike is that there is NO reason that I'd ever have to do that. Hello, 10750rpm redline and broad powerband.

Going from 5th at any speed above stall to 2nd directly would overrev the engine.

I've done it before. I don't like to though, because I'm not very good at it and tend to grind the gears. I supose practice makes perfect though.

I can (at least for all transitions but 1-2 and 2-1), but don't.

I do rev-match however, so I don't ever feel the clutch doing anything when it dis/engages, which is satisfying to get right.

I could do it back when I had my GTI, matching revs and everything. I would almost never do it intentionally, but sometimes I would be in such a driving trance that I would realize I had just done it perfectly without even thinking about it. Don't do it anymore, because it's not exactly possible in the Prius :p

I suppose there are things in life that I will never understand. But what the hell is wrong with using the clutch? It?s not there for decoration...

I suppose there are things in life that I will never understand. But what the hell is wrong with using the clutch? It?s not there for decoration...

Some people believe that a clutchless upshift is fastest. I don't.

Most racing drivers hardly use the clutch at all and only push it in to half-engagement or even less. Usually it's not a stretch to go from clutch to no clutch. But, I think that little bit of clutch allows you to shift a little bit faster or if not maybe a little bit more consistent, and you're sparing the driveline from a lot of stress.

I dunno, the faster you can swap clogs the better and sitting there waiting for the revs to drop doesn't really make sense to me. Plus unless your brake pedal is REALLY small, I don't think there's any real reason why a clutchless downshift makes sense either since most brake pedals are big enough for two feet in racing shoes so a left-foot braking ballet is pretty easy.

Last edited:
Well yes, you can shave a bit off the top of your laptime if you do harsh upshifts. But on a road car I really don?t see the point of fucking over my transmission. Gearboxes tend to be on the expensive side...

Can you drive clutchless in your manual?
No. I don't want to. I drive a diesel for heavens sake. I don't care about laptimes. I'm just trying to get to the supermarket.

I did it when working on this truck one summer, which had stupidly heavy clutch. It's much much slower when downshifting, but at least spares the left knee from hurting :)