Who can drive their manual clutchless?

Who can drive their manual clutchless?

• Total voters
To sum it up:
Can I drive my car without using the clutch? Well yes, I can also drive it with no air filter, but I don?t.

No. I don't want to. I drive a diesel for heavens sake. I don't care about laptimes. I'm just trying to get to the supermarket.

Exactly the same reasons I have, just replace 'diesel' with 'Japanese econobox' and 'supermarket' with 'class'.

Besides, I have done it accidentally trying to go quickly from 1st - 2nd when I was first learning manual. The horrible grinding tortured noise the gearbox in the '92 Excel I was driving made scared me shitless! :lol:

Yes, I can.

I tried, I made it, now I know that I can. But I think it's pretty senseless, and the risk of grinding the gearbox is really too high to be taken.

I can shift my car without the clutch pedal, it does not have one :lol:
I can also shift into park when moving but that is not a good idea....

yeah, but I only do it on shit cars. And at slow speeds.

I had a clutch failure a few years ago so i kinda had to.. :p
Wouldn't do it if i didn't have to though..

^^what he said. It's not a matter of "can". My grandma could but it sounds and feels terrible

If it makes a grinding noise you are doing it wrong. There is no grinding when I played with it. The shifter should easily just come out and go in, if you have to force it you aren't in the proper RPM.

Again there is no advantage to it, but it can be useful if the clutch goes out and you need to drive.

I can, but I don't. Kind of pointless IMO. Now if I had a dogbox...:drool:

I had complete clutch failure (stupid me put the clutch slave cylinder rod in backwards) setting off from a traffic light on a 6 lane major road about 6 months ago...my synchros weren't to happy about what I did after that...:lol:

Last edited:
Some people believe that a clutchless upshift is fastest. I don't.

Most racing drivers hardly use the clutch at all and only push it in to half-engagement or even less. Usually it's not a stretch to go from clutch to no clutch. But, I think that little bit of clutch allows you to shift a little bit faster or if not maybe a little bit more consistent, and you're sparing the driveline from a lot of stress.

That's because most race transmissions above spec series racers don't use synch'd transmissions.

I dunno, the faster you can swap clogs the better and sitting there waiting for the revs to drop doesn't really make sense to me. Plus unless your brake pedal is REALLY small, I don't think there's any real reason why a clutchless downshift makes sense either since most brake pedals are big enough for two feet in racing shoes so a left-foot braking ballet is pretty easy.

Depends on how close the throttle is...Audis are horrible, its like the damn grand canyon between the stop and go pedals.

When I buy a car with no synchros then I will learn, for now I think I can shift plenty fast.

I can, but I choose mechanical sympathy so I use the clutch.

I can't i don't even understand how to shift without using that rather handy pedal to your left.

Shifting without the clutch is one trick I never learned. Never saw the point.

I am curious about one thing though. I heard people say it's good to know just in case the clutch goes out. If your clutch does go out, how do you get into first gear? And what if your car needs the clutch pressed down to start the ignition?

Shifting without the clutch is one trick I never learned. Never saw the point.

I am curious about one thing though. I heard people say it's good to know just in case the clutch goes out. If your clutch does go out, how do you get into first gear? And what if your car needs the clutch pressed down to start the ignition?

Start the car in first gear. As for needing the clutch peddle to be pressed down, I believe that is pedal related and not clutch related (it is a safety measure that doesn't involve the clutch itself).

Start the car in first gear. As for needing the clutch peddle to be pressed down, I believe that is pedal related and not clutch related (it is a safety measure that doesn't involve the clutch itself).

Yeah, I'm not sure how the lock out works on modern clutches for the ignition. My Toyota doesn't have it. And I've accidentally started it in gear a couple times and I really didn't like the results. :lol: I would sooner call for a tow then put my car through that a dozen times trying to limp it home.