Who on here deals with Nikon gear?

Shadowness

Car(s)
Caged Clio 182 Track Car
Apologies, but I cant remember who on here works for Nikon, or gets Nikon stuff through their work.

If you are that person, could you please find out how much you get a D3, and also how much the new 24-70mm f/2.8 lens is?

After a bit of a play with one, and looking at a load of reviews, I'm seriously considering getting one. It probably wont be for a while yet, as I have to sort out my finances lol! Im even considering selling my drum kit, as I rarely play on it these days :(

Thanks

Alok used to be able to get hold of Nikon gear for nearly as good as HK rates. Have you considered the D700 by any chance?

Tbh, I havent looked into the D700 much yet. I'll have to look at some D700 v D3 comparisons :)

Hey, what kind of drumkit have you got? I'm actually looking to buy one soon.

Pearl Export Kit (minus the smaller tom-tom)
OCDP 14" Custom vented Snare
DW 5000 Double bass pedal
Zildjian 14" A Custom Hats
Zildjian 18" Z Custom Crash
Zildjian 19" A Custom Crash
Zildjian 18" China Trash
Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride
Custom Pork Pie Throne

I havent added it all up yet, I would guess it would be at least a grand (?) :)

Just to say that even as a Canon user, I've been totally amazed by the D3 recently.

Seeing a mate shoot the entire of the Spa 24 night session at ISO1600 with noise free images had me convinced!

I'm not going to be changing brands any time soon though!

Thats precisely the thing that is swaying it for me! On my D200, switching the ISO up to 1600 would be considered ridiculously high, and obviously the images would be VERY noisy. From what Ive seen of the D3, ISO1600 is a walk in the park! Some of the shots look similar to the D200 in ISO100!!!

Just found this post: http://www.nikongear.com/smf/index.php?topic=7074.0

Just look at how little noise there is at 1600, hell even 3200! It might seem a lot, but remember those are 100% crops!!!

The D700 has the exact same sensor as the D3, it basically just loses some features and the really high-speed shooting modes. (Still does 8FPS with grip).

Give it a generation or two, and you'll be able to do that with Canon too..

5Dmk2 needs to be good, and it probably will. 1Dmk4 is limited by being APS-H, buuut, it does give better reach (who uses WA for sports anyway, except the small exceptions).

The D3 is after all no less expensive for someone to buy today than the 1Dmk2 was a year ago. The battle will commence between the 5Dmk2 and the D700. Only time will show.

Apologies, but I cant remember who on here works for Nikon, or gets Nikon stuff through their work.

If you are that person, could you please find out how much you get a D3, and also how much the new 24-70mm f/2.8 lens is?

After a bit of a play with one, and looking at a load of reviews, I'm seriously considering getting one. It probably wont be for a while yet, as I have to sort out my finances lol! Im even considering selling my drum kit, as I rarely play on it these days :(

Thanks

well I get my nikon stuff through my work quite literally.
you dont have to get a D3 if it breaks your bank, you can get D700.
as for 24-70, well if you were in singapore, i might sell you my set. I'm almost shooting 90% on 24mmPC-E, 45mm PC-E and 85mm PCE.

but given a choice of D3 and another nikon camera (take is currently released at this point of writing), i would rather retain my D2x. i think only 1% of my shots are shot on everything else except L1.0 aka iso100
the major difference between D2x and D3 in terms of image quality is
D3= better at high iso.
D2x= better at long exposure.

I'm almost shooting 90% on 24mmPC-E, 45mm PC-E and 85mm PCE.

Man, those TS lenses are sexy. Has the electronic aperture system been reliable for you?

Also, nice to see you around here, Andy. Bit of a coincidence after your post from DS was cross-posted here a few days ago. :D

Man, those TS lenses are sexy. Has the electronic aperture system been reliable for you?

Also, nice to see you around here, Andy. Bit of a coincidence after your post from DS was cross-posted here a few days ago. :D

eh, what was cross posted here? nope i didnt know about it.

yeah, has been reliable for me. I use live view to focus super precise. basically I just told the whole world that I shoot 100% on tripod only.

eh, what was posted here? nope, i didnt know about it.

as for the aperture thingy. I dont see why it should cause relibility issues.

I use liveview to fine tune my focusing. so basically I shoot 100% on tripod only.

Your post about the royalties issue with <50 unit production cars was linked to here, that's how I found your DieselStation post.

Good to hear the e-aperture works fine, using the preset aperture button on the old lenses was a bit annoying at times.

Nikon D3 3.689,00 EUR
Nikon AF-S 24-70mm 2.8 G ED 1.456,90 EUR

Thanks for that Alok. Although I dont need the price of the 24-70 as I've just recieved mine today :D Seems like an awesome bit of kit, I'll give it a good test over the next few days (if the weather is good enough!)