Why does JC hate bikes so much?

Actually, he can ride them. Not just in Vietnam twice (one for Motorworld, one for TG) but also in the TG Australian special.

But remember a couple of things:

1. In order to ride a motorcycle properly, a great deal of attention to detail and concentration is required. Jezza's never really been all that big on either of those (remember that he complained about the effort for doing hypermiling, both times on TG.)

2. Because he's a big person, finding proper riding gear (helmet, jacket, armour) is a problem -- not to mention an expense that TG and BBC could probably avoid.

3. There are also certain health concerns (ear problems, lack of conditioning) that mean his ability to handle a motorcycle is limited from the outset.

Which is a pity, because JC's Vietnam adventure actually inspired me to learn to ride a motorcycle. I wonder how he'd feel if he found out that thousands of middle-aged men were inspired to learn to ride motorcycles from his own example.

Last edited:
1. In order to ride a motorcycle properly, a great deal of attention to detail and concentration is required. Jezza's never really been all that big on either of those (remember that he complained about the effort for doing hypermiling, both times on TG.)

2. Because he's a big person, finding proper riding gear (helmet, jacket, armour) is a problem -- not to mention an expense that TG and BBC could probably avoid.

3. There are also certain health concerns (ear problems, lack of conditioning) that mean his ability to handle a motorcycle is limited from the outset.

Well, excuse me but these are not valid reasons to despise bikes :D
Expecially in the Ariel Atom review, it looked like he desperately (and hopelessly) wanted to prove once and for all that bikes are useless and inferior to cars.
The Atom was 4 seconds faster than the CBR600 on the track? Who cares? It's like saying "I ate my ice cream faster than you ate your pizza. Ice cream is superior to pizza then."

Last edited:
Well, excuse me but these are not valid reasons to despise bikes :D
Expecially in the Ariel Atom review, it looked like he desperately (and hopelessly) wanted to prove once and for all that bikes are useless and inferior to cars.
The Atom was 4 seconds faster than the CBR600 on the track? Who cares? It's like saying "I ate my ice cream faster than you ate your pizza. Ice cream is superior to pizza then."

Actually, yes they are. What we establish here is that, because he's not either physically or mentally disposed to ride motorcycles, he's not going to be disposed to like them. Especially if certain petrolheads put pressure on him to endorse their motorcycle-riding hobby.

I think it's because he attempted to ride a Ducati around Monaco once. He wasn't a skilled rider and, at least on film, looked as though he genuinely didn't enjoy the slow learning process that one must endure to become a competent rider.

BBC, if you're reading this, could you please put up a clip of Clarkson riding the Ducati in Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld?

I think what you have to remember is that while Jeremy the character might hate and despise bikes, Jeremy the man probably just dislikes them.

This. And that top gear is a car show.

I think what you have to remember is that while Jeremy the character might hate and despise bikes, Jeremy the man probably just dislikes them.

This. I mean if you didnt expect a complete exageration of attitude and sensationalism, you obviously dont know top gear very well. He probably isnt a fan of them, but hating them makes it funny. The characterisations are an integral part of the show. its entertainment.

In short: He does it for the LOLs. And we thank him for it :D

They do highlight the shortcomings of these $$$ sports cars.

Although the real reason is because it?s funny. Otherwise you wouldn?t have heard about it.

Because the show is Top Gear, and not Top Cog.