Why the center mounted gauge hate?

No, it wouldn't. The speedo would then run around the outside of the sat-nav display.

Mini-Cooper-005.jpg

Your car doesnt have a central speedo! It's offset to the left! Try a Yaris, you'll be infuriated by the stupid layout. If you're not, then you're obviously special. Please feel free to drive whatever you want, the rest of us normal people will continue to buy normal cars with normal clusters situated in a position which we deem acceptable. Thread over.

The time to refocus is not on the gauges but on the road.

:lol: Ok. What I said applies to refocusing on the road, as well.

So to rephare:
"I honestly cant say that Ive ever wished my eyes would focus on the gauges or on the road quicker."

I know there are a lot of accidents happening because people are not looking where they're going. I've never heard of an accident where someone was looking at his speedo though. Therefore, I'm not so sure whether safety is an issue here.

Your car doesnt have a central speedo! It's offset to the left! Try a Yaris, you'll be infuriated by the stupid layout. If you're not, then you're obviously special. Please feel free to drive whatever you want, the rest of us normal people will continue to buy normal cars with normal clusters situated in a position which we deem acceptable. Thread over.
Thank you.

I drive several Yarises everyday I actually have no problem with the center mounted layout even the first time. Giant wheels(Grand Prix, Uplander/Montana) on the other hand block my view of the dials in the regular layout.

I think it's quite possibly the stupidest design decision made for vanity, right behind the steering-wheel mounted ice pick. Unless I'm driving a McLaren F1, the gauges do not belong in the center of the car. I do not need to share them with my passengers. A hundred years of rudimentary ergonomics (keeping one's eyes in a consistant and easily reachable place) thrown out the window.

I guess the Air Force got it wrong, and it should make the controls and displays in planes MORE DIFFICULT to read and spread them out all over the place rather than making them easy to find for the pilot.

And worst, the center gauges aren't even tilted towards the driver. Who exactly is supposed to be reading the gauges again?

Why not put it inside the glove box, or under the passenger seat?

No, it wouldn't. The speedo would then run around the outside of the sat-nav display.

Mini-Cooper-005.jpg

Can I just say, that looks horrible. The wood, the colour scheme, the round sat nav display.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/09/12/163_news070223_05z2008_sicon_xbinterior_dash.jpg

I still like where my gauges are on my xb.

I even like the digital speedo, can't be that bad if a lot of sports cars and race cars have them.

I know it works for you, but personally I think that is a huge, ugly mess.

Why is the driver's side vent all the way up? What's with the awkward space below it where it could have gone? The gauges stretch out all the way to the right for no apparent reason. Why not have it fill the void in front of the steering wheel where it could have gone? Why is the top part of the center console (which looks like an 80s ghetto blaster, probably was the intention) so badly aligned and off-center? What the hell is that bread-loaf-shaped lump behind the steering wheel? Does the airbag go there or something asinine like that? Does the 8-track go next to the HVAC controls? That silver expanse of nothingness on the left doesn't even align with that silver protrusion on the right, with that oh-so-thoughtful cutout for your hand where the key goes partitioned in black.

And the freaking logo isn't even centered on the wheel. I know Scion is marketing to kids, but are all kids that retarded? :p Sorry, I have nothing better to do than to rant about stupid automotive interior design decisions when I'm drunk.

I know it works for you, but personally I think that is a huge, ugly mess.

Why is the driver's side vent all the way up? What's with the awkward space below it where it could have gone? The gauges stretch out all the way to the right for no apparent reason. Why not have it fill the void in front of the steering wheel where it could have gone? Why is the top part of the center console (which looks like an 80s ghetto blaster, probably was the intention) so badly aligned and off-center? What the hell is that bread-loaf-shaped lump behind the steering wheel? Does the airbag go there or something asinine like that? Does the 8-track go next to the HVAC controls? That silver expanse of nothingness on the left doesn't even align with that silver protrusion on the right, with that oh-so-thoughtful cutout for your hand where the key goes partitioned in black.

And the freaking logo isn't even centered on the wheel. I know Scion is marketing to kids, but are all kids that retarded? :p Sorry, I have nothing better to do than to rant about stupid automotive interior design decisions when I'm drunk.

That's a pre-production model, I can tell by the seats in the photo. Here are some pics of the real deal:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/09/12/01.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/09/12/02.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/09/12/03.jpg

What I don't like about the dashboards pictured above is the sloping look, like the steering wheel has just been stuck into the plastic. Not exactly dynamic or sporty-looking.

One of the original offenders, the 1st gen Renault Twingo, isn't as bad as let's say, the Yaris.

http://img185.imageshack.**/img185/8391/renaulttwingointeriorry1.jpg

I can think of only one car off the top of my head where I would like center mounted gauges:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/09/12/view.jpg

Win.

rx8-interior.jpg

1039704.jpg

Mazda always makes very good instrument cluster layouts. The rest....eh...kinda bland. But the key component, the rev counter, is perfect.

A friend of mine has a saturn Ion Redline.
59.jpg

I can't stand that interior. It is completely dreadful, and the gauge placement doesn't help.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a saturn Ion Redline.
59.jpg

I can't stand that interior. It is completely dreadful, and the gauge placement doesn't help.
Ooh that is nasty. A huge gearstick to top it off. But it raises questions, did GM try to copy Toyota? Cause a Saturn is not made in RHD configuration! Weird.