Why the MKV files for S14 E1?

I've been using the guide Narf liked to, and didn't see or realise they had a new guide using GOTSent. Will try, +rep. :)

Download CCCP, it comes with Media Player Classic Homecinema but if that doesn't play smoothly, go to my ftp and download the coreavc codec (it's not the latest, though, but still much better than anything else - I'll put the latest up there when I get home from uni).

I would recommend kmplayer as a great universal media player. I haven't run into a format it won't play yet, and it has a very nice UI.

http://kmplayer.en.softonic.com/

While this may be academic to most users, according to http://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue820 the KMPlayer is violating GPL terms. It made the FFmpeg hall of shame for that.

go to my ftp and download the coreavc codec

...which is commercial software you need to buy?

Last edited:
Who's brilliant idea was to use the rubbish non-standard mkv format?
Why not some sort of normal format like avi or mpg?

I really feel that fluke667's answer was the best:
mkv IS the standard for HD video on the internet.

Everyone that knew anything about encoding. Can't be bothered to post links to the numerous posts containing more reasons, use the search feature.

I think this is a valid argument, and I think it's also correct to question this right now, and bring it to the fore front with the previous release.

mkv is becoming increasingly common for non-HD as well, which I find annoying because Windows Media Player is the only thing that will run them properly on my netbook. What happened to good old Divx/Xvid.... I could play DVD rips on my Pentium II laptop.

Content has matured, and that's really what it's come down to. Everyone has a different solution to the problem, Apple has H.264 under it's belt with AAC, where has Microsoft has H.264 with WMA, then the linux guys are rocking out too FLAC audio with Theora video. MKV is the one container fits all formats. It's everything to every man, woman, and child.

Narf makes the great point of

xvid got outperformed by x264 - better quality for lower file sizes. New divx has made some improvements, but the internet mentality clashes with corporations like divx, it prefers free stuff like mkv and x264.

DivX really has stepped up to the plate with it's new version, that also uses MKV files by default now for it's divx output, but the internet does not care for the most part as we have all of these wonderful formats that work well with each other.

You can try VLC (which by the way is developed by the same people as x264).

Narf, you really do post some very insightful things, I really wish you wen't such an asshole (and I mean that in the kindest way possible).

PS: Great thing about VLC, it tries to play back anything you throw at it. Wrong file name extension? No Problem. Still downloading the second half of the file? No Problem. Broken File? No Problem (if sufficient data is present).

And yes, that's the same reason why I love VLC.

Love afterdawn, if anyone wants to know anything about video, video codecs, audio, audio codecs and tanscoding for all platforms there's the place to be. Excellent resource.

While this may be academic to most users, according to http://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue820 the KMPlayer is violating GPL terms. It made the FFmpeg hall of shame for that.

You might be an asshole, but you do know your shit. (He is like the Dr. House of the A/V World.)

Narf, you really do post some very insightful things, I really wish you wen't such an asshole (and I mean that in the kindest way possible).

You might be an asshole, but you do know your shit. (He is like the Dr. House of the A/V World.)

It's pronounced "German".

:lmao:

^^ You really like your multi quotes today, don't you?

Also: hdbits member since before it was called hdbits -> setup a high xx number of PCs to do the decoding, always went with coreavc + mpchc for anything highdef and ffdshow for the rest, never had any problems. If you do, problem is sitting in front of the PC, or the PC is single core aka OLD.
Also: Has the OP ever returned? Or has he gone back to 2003 when avi's were da shizzle..?

It's pronounced "German".

It's strange, but I do like you. I don't know, I do like that someone else can fact check me, and you know, know what they are talking about.

^^ You really like your multi quotes today, don't you?

Yeah, I was trying to catch up while posting the answer to the questions I found. Sorry if you find it annoying, it's the only way I see of properly doing this.

This is annoying me simply because I use my 360 as a makeshift HTPC and as you know, MS has no love for MKV. I know it's a superior container to AVI but it's just annoying to have to watch it on my computer. <_<