Windows 7, so who's tried it?

WirelessMonkey

Car(s)
MK1 Golf Driver
Just thought i'd make a thread so people who have the beta can share there experience's with others.

I downloaded it and used vmware fusion to have it as a virtual machine on my macbook, and its not too bad. Looks quite nice but then again so does vista and thats awful. I think they have improved it though, ie 8 is quite nice, i mean i will still use firefox but nice to see there still improving it. Has some nice new features such as "Suggested Sites" that tells you some sites you may like to visit. Also there's a compatibility viewer so you can view pages designed for older versions of Microsoft's Browser.

I have some screenshots that i got of different aspects of it, but i will put them up upon requests. So anyway, your opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't promote or allow piracy discussion here.

and at the request of other parties, the leading post has been edited, and the topic is re-opened.

Again, no discussion or mentioning downloading of or the piracy of such software. Microsoft is not known for their kindness towards pirates.

Last edited:
We don't promote or allow piracy discussion here.

and at the request of other parties, the leading post has been edited, and the topic is re-opened.

Again, no discussion or mentioning downloading of or the piracy of such software. Microsoft is not known for their kindness towards pirates.

[angry pirate sound] jharr mi buuty[/angry pirate sound]

I might be looking towards a new OS when I've got enough money for a CPU or graphics card upgrade. Might go for this if it's more stable than Vista and looks as good as it, or maybe even better. Screenshots please?

Microsoft is not known for their kindness towards pirates.

Do they make them walk the plank? :|

Sorry! :mrgreen:

Will try it at some time I suppose.

Anyone know when the public beta's going to come out?

Tomorrow (Friday). Supposedly it will be available to download from various places on the Microsoft site.

If it's out tomorrow, I'll put it on a VPC and try it out. :)

I'll give it a shot, I think I'll like the taskbar.

Yea, public beta tomorrow. Not sure I want to wipe my main machine, but I will definately be firing it up in a VM.

I hate to be one of these guys, but I would much rather stick with XP rather than go for Vista or Windows 7.

Is it true that XP will only recognize 3.xx GB of ram? If so, why not just keep improving XP so you could max out your system and have your OS utilize your system.

You need a 64bit OS to use more than 3 (or 4...can't remember which). XP64 can do it.

I hate to be one of these guys, but I would much rather stick with XP rather than go for Vista or Windows 7.

Is it true that XP will only recognize 3.xx GB of ram? If so, why not just keep improving XP so you could max out your system and have your OS utilize your system.

2 to the 32 is potentially 4GB of memory addresses. However, loads of IO equipment needs memory addresses to operate. The main one in a graphics card. If you have a 512MB graphics card, you straight away lose 512MB of memory addresses so your theoretical maximum is down to 3.5GB.
The potential maximum for 64 bit systems is much higher. 2 to the 64 is 16 million TB (I think they are called Exxobytes). I think Vista Ultimate currently can handle 128GB of ram and the lower levels can handle 8GB.

Tried it about a month or two ago, it still looks pretty much like Vista, which I'm happy with.

Since I'm hired as support at Microsoft, Win7 beta will be easy to get. In fact, I'm gonna install it on my crap laptop at work tomorrow. Report will follow. :)

I think i will wait a bit. Nothing EVER works the first day for me. FF3 took a whole week to even be able to start on my computer wtf.